U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-16-2012, 12:40 PM

3,763 posts, read 1,679,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaemonkey View Post
The question is why in the world would we regret not believing in something there was no good reason to believe in in the first place?
Quote:
Wow, did I really do that poor of a job trying to make my point, or are people simply not reading?
Yes, you really did a very poor job trying to make your point. I don't understand your original question at all.

If you can simplify and clarify your question, maybe you will start to receive some meaningful responses.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 02:20 PM

410 posts, read 333,993 times
I understood the original post just fine, and I agree with the OP. Nothing would really change for me aside from becoming a believer. I would not act any different, and I certainly would not worship. I also don't think I would have any regrets for the way that I have lived and my current belief system.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:39 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,172,240 times
I'd believe but I'd see no reason to worship.

If anything, absolute proof of a deity would just lead to a lot more questions. Some may even question if said deity was even God, depending on how you define God. You'd probably even see and hear believers of different faiths arguing over which God it was.

As was already stated of the first page of this thread, most atheists are willing to change their beliefs with concrete evidence. Many theist will never do that, no matter how deep they have to stick their heads in the sand to keep believing.

You want proof of this? Just ask if the God of *whatever religion* were proven to be false beyond any doubt, would you still believe? How many would even say no to a mere hypothetical question. I believe it was tried around these parts (read: this forum) before with very predicable results.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:17 AM

2,737 posts, read 2,179,871 times
If the evidence simply pointed to the positive existence of an amorphous deity, of course I would believe in it. I believe, or more accurately accept, things that have been proven.

That amorphous deity is not necessarily the christian god though, so none of my personal habits, ethics, morals, etc would change. My label would simply change from atheist to deist.

A very different question, which the OP did not ask, was what would you do if the the evidence proved any particular religion's god. Whether it is christian, moslem, shinto, animist, whatever. I truly do not know what I would do in that case. Of the religions that I am somewhat knowledgeable in, the gods are all rather abhorrent, and I would find myself in the unfortunate position of being in a universe run by an evil deity.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:58 PM

11,246 posts, read 9,579,858 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure there was a thread on this a while back, but I'd kind of like to take this one question and run with it. Mostly I'd just like to see if my own viewpoint corresponds with the other atheist/non-theists; a theist neighbor simply couldn't comprehend my answer to this very question a few weeks ago.

My own answer: It really wouldn't effect me at all outside of the fact that absolute proof in a creator would simply turn me into a deist rather than an atheist. No faith would be required since I would now "know."

I think one of the fundamental differences in thought between a theist and an atheist is the whole idea of "worship." There seems to be a "well, when you die and find out you're wrong, you'll be really REALLY sorry!" attitude that really couldn't be much further from the truth for me at least. In the joke thread, somebody posted a video of Bill Maher that summed up something I've said many times over the years ...If God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost appeared on CNN tomorrow, changed the value of pi (or something equally impossible) and declared the bible (or the Koran, or any other "holy" book) to be the complete unadulterated truth:

...I'd become a "believer" but I certainly wouldn't become a "worshiper." Although I find it highly unlikely that science will ever prove a deity (much less any specific one), but if it actually were to do so, the actual change in my own life would be very minimal. I certainly couldn't feel any regret for not believing in something/someone who up until that point had given me absolutely no reason to believe in he/she/it.

There seems to be a pervasive element with many a theist that thinks that when we die and "find out we're wrong" that we'll suddenly become some kind of groveling regretful heap of something or other. As one of the other poster's here so eloquently puts it (actually, I've heard it in a number of places); if there really is a God, and he's really so neurotic as to require adulation and worship from his creations, he'd probably be a lot less hostile to someone who believes in NO gods than the ones who believed in the WRONG god.

The question is why in the world would we regret not believing in something there was no good reason to believe in in the first place? If we were to find the concrete evidence that we are wrong ...it STILL doesn't follow that I would suddenly feel any need to actually worship such a being.

Anyone else care to weigh in on this?
If god was in my science textbooks I'd be fine with it. I seek truth, not personal happiness, and the atheistic path is more truthful than any religious institution's claims. I don't reject god because I hate the concept, I reject it because it isn't a sound concept to begin with, and I'd rather know (and come to terms with) the cold truth than live in a delusion, however wonderful it might feel.

After all, who really wants to be a hairless bipedal ape stuck on a tiny blue rock in space who is destined to come and go in the blink of an eye without the universe even noticing?

Still, that's where the evidence points, no matter how much anyone wishes they were special supernatural creations of an all-powerful being who knows and loves each and every one of them.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:17 PM

16,311 posts, read 14,106,257 times
Default What if there were evidence

what if.... what if.... what if.... what if.... what if.... what if.... what if....

The never ending argument from your position of never ending ignorance.

Show your evidence and we'll check it out.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:45 AM

11,806 posts, read 13,821,570 times
"If ifs and buts were candies and nuts, we would all have a merry Christmas." - Dandy Don Meredith

Old 02-18-2012, 07:01 AM

8,144 posts, read 3,820,313 times
that's right, first the evidence then we'll talk about posibilities...so far there is none and the hole image that you tell kids about in schools or church of the "heavenly father type deity" has to go...get rid of the myths(as in Greek/Roman, etc..mythology) first. How do you expect us to even consider any of it when it's all such unbelievable stuff?

Old 02-20-2012, 02:50 AM

570 posts, read 351,059 times
The real reason behind "what if" question is to find the real reason behind not believing !!!
Most of the responses shows that it is not a matter of finding the truth because you have already decided .
If God do exist you will believe yes but you won't worshep him ..
It is like saying I believe in class exam but I won't study to pass it .
That clearly shows that it is up to you .
You have the wright to choose therefore you will be responsible for the outcome of that Choice .
I don't want a debate or a lecture here , I just express my honest opinion .

Old 02-20-2012, 04:58 AM

10,046 posts, read 13,819,366 times
As my father says, "If your grandmother had balls, she'd be your grandfather. So what?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism