U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 10:11 PM

10,017 posts, read 8,537,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Now if we were to pack up the population in three spaceships, placing all the intellectuals on the first one, all the scientists, philosophers, great artist, inventors etc, and place all the workers/laborers on the third one, and the second being manned with say, middle people, like human resource managers, life coaches, copywriters etc and just for fun, launch the second one first to another planet, then the first and third to a different planet, then we would see a continuance of life on one of thos at least for a wile....just an idea/theory (for when we gather the technology to do that)
I think that sometime in the next few hundred years, humans will figure out a way to terraform (make earth-like) Mars and similar planets. Doing so will probably ensure that humans don't become extinct in case some cataclysmic event happens on earth.

However, a more significant issue is that even if humans don't become extinct, they will eventually evolve into other species. If humans lose their capability for high intelligence, then there really is no way to ensure survival beyond several million years. Unless of course humans figure out a way to "stop" their own evolutionary changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 10:19 PM

5,966 posts, read 3,032,139 times
Thanks, y'all for taking time to discuss this. I'm enjoying reading all your answers and intend to write some comments when time allows.

Peace -
Heartsong

Old 02-26-2012, 01:53 AM

11,805 posts, read 14,345,453 times
I think intelligent life in the Universe could become extinct, especially if in the far-distant future, all the fuel for fusion within stars in used up.

As for Earth, if we can get through the next few centuries, we have a chance. There will have to be some big universal changes made, though. I have a rather pessimistic outlook on it. If we can, we can go on evolving until the Sun becomes a red giant.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:16 AM

2,160 posts, read 800,465 times
It's an odd definition of 'life', and I'm not sure what is meant by 'consciousness' or 'intelligent'. I'll assume that it means something akin to human intelligence and awareness.

My answer? Of course. So far as we know, there is precisely one planet in the universe where such life exists. An as-yet unknown long-term comet -- or even a new one just in from the Oort Cloud -- could appear on the not-so-proverbial horizon at any time. If it's large enough and happens to cross our path, then all the 'intelligent life' in the universe could be rendered extinct.

So far as we know. Maybe there's other such life out there. But maybe there's not.

Anyway, in the long run (quite long) we (that is, all intelligent life that will ever be, anywhere) are finished.
Heat death of the universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-26-2012, 02:04 PM

124 posts, read 19,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Please answer this only if you are or have given it serious thought. I don't want this to become a slap-stick thread that allows people to avoid the actual question. Thank you.

QUESTION: Do you think or believe that the force of LIFE (LIFE being defined as consciousness of intelligent beings) will always exist in the Universe? Or do you think it could somehow become an extinct phenomenon?
Always exist? For all I know only planet earth has species with consciousness (the great apes), and for all I know there are millions of sentient beings out there somewhere in the universe..so I have no idea. However I think what it boils down to is I dont think there needs to be some consciousness in the universe, and nothing would change if it existed or not.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:11 AM

2,350 posts, read 1,366,984 times
Earth isn't the only planet in the universe, so of course not. We can't ever know what's going on on the other potential life sustaining planets in the entire universe, but from sheer probability, there has to be life somewhere, even when we're all dead.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:47 PM

887 posts, read 522,042 times
Quote:
Please answer this only if you are or have given it serious thought. I don't want this to become a slap-stick thread that allows people to avoid the actual question. Thank you.

QUESTION: Do you think or believe that the force of LIFE (LIFE being defined as consciousness of intelligent beings) will always exist in the Universe? Or do you think it could somehow become an extinct phenomenon?
Information gathering processes are intrinsic to the universe. All matter tends to store and hold information, and over time complex organisms like ourselves evolve from the nature of mass and energy. There are countless examples in our fossil record, one of the most fascinating eras in earths history is the cambrian explosion, complex organisms suddenly emerged and left there fossilized remains as proof.....in a distinct layer of earth that is distinguishable everywhere on earth that the layer still exists.

The nature of our universe, we are an extension of that nature, and we will continue to follow our nature.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:27 PM

9,621 posts, read 7,012,771 times
Default Or... The Inverse-Universe Theorem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
No. The inverse will be around for hundreds of billions of years but even it has an expiration date. Someday the universe will have expanded so far that it will have cooled to absolute zero degrees and nothing will be able to happen (including life). But that's a long time away.
I assume you meant the Universe, not the Inverse. The inverse is all backwards, let me tell you! And I mean it!

Anyhow, here's my theory: as this universe cools down and eventually dies off, we humans will certainly have evolved both our IQ and understanding of all things Universal. We will by then have shed the trappings of illiterate thought so that we can and will be able to "adjust" the space-time continuum, and we'll just 'BOOM! re-start it all via the well-established (by then I mean...) Big Bang Process.

As in: you mix compounds A through Xzzy145 with similar but "inversed" compounds from "the other side" {I'll explain that one later. Much later...}, and stand back! It all starts over again. Just like it did ≈15 B years ago!

In other words, we will become our own God, and the bible is true: but just "inversed" since it'd be we who end up inventing a convenient God in our own image!

He is Us, and as Gen. Douglas MacArthur so eloquently said on the beach:

"I shall return!" And he did!

QED, and so on and no os...

Old 02-28-2012, 03:11 PM

13,062 posts, read 6,341,278 times
Quote:

I don't know and neither does anyone else. Whatever happens, it likely won't occur anytime soon.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:25 PM

11,334 posts, read 10,165,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I assume you meant the Universe, not the Inverse. The inverse is all backwards, let me tell you! And I mean it!
Y'all can keep your insignificant universe. My Inverse is way cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism