U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:28 AM

16,301 posts, read 24,247,078 times

Advertisements

Any bets on how soon some hate filled god believer defaces the billboard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 09:37 AM

15,680 posts, read 18,237,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Both sides need to grow the hell up. Doing exactly what the religious right does only makes Atheism look stupid too.
No, it does not. It's a patently false accusation to say that atheists hate America. Atheism has nothing to do with any country.

That's not at all the case with saying that God is a myth.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:25 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,934,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I disagree. Supernatural beliefs need to be exposed for what they are - myths, plain and simple.

They need to be challenged at the very least. We don't live in the dark ages any longer.
Exactly my thoughts. In a country where 80% of the population still believes in some sort of super-natural being, there needs to be a voice of reason and dissident that calls it out.
Religious beliefs despite all their fallacies still get preferential treatment AND play an important role when it comes to drafting laws and government policy. That's unacceptable.
Those beliefs need to be called out for what they are (archaic myths) and they need to be completely taken out from public policy.

Have you ever noticed that every single presidential candidate in recent memory MUST declare their belief in god and MUST show it publicly? Otherwise, their presidential ambitions are DOA.
Imagine that although homosexuals are still highly discriminated there are more people in this country that would rather vote for a gay person over an atheist?

Atheists are still the number #1 demographic in this country that’s still OK to dislike or hate.

Some Americans Reluctant to Vote for Mormon, 72-Year-Old Presidential Candidates

Old 03-05-2012, 11:23 AM

21,280 posts, read 20,893,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Atheists are still the number #1 demographic in this country thatís still OK to dislike or hate.
Perhaps, but if I were to start a poll with the question, "Which group do you have the most contempt for -- atheists or Mormons?" I think Mormons would give you a good run for your money.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:57 AM

29,614 posts, read 31,942,975 times
"American atheists", or any group that has an agenda, is really just a group with an agenda...their beliefs are irrelevant even if they don't have any.

I guess what I'm saying is that the people who yell the loudest have the least to say. My non belief doesn't need publicity and nobody speaks for me. Billboards are almost as offensive to me as wierd religions anyway.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:01 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,934,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Perhaps, but if I were to start a poll with the question, "Which group do you have the most contempt for -- atheists or Mormons?" I think Mormons would give you a good run for your money.
The link I posted above should give you a pretty good idea.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:13 PM

3,925 posts, read 2,732,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
No, it does not. It's a patently false accusation to say that atheists hate America. Atheism has nothing to do with any country.

That's not at all the case with saying that God is a myth.
Except the sign didn't say "God is a myth," it says "You know it's a myth." Judging from the amount of monotheists in the nation...this is probably about as accurate of a statement as saying "Why do Atheists hate America?"

Last edited by Clintone; 03-05-2012 at 01:36 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 01:24 PM

15,680 posts, read 18,237,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Except the sign didn't say "God is a myth," it says "You know it's a myth." Judging from the amount of monotheists in the nation...this is probably about as accurate of a statement as saying "Why do Atheists hate America?"
Well, I don't see the equivalence. Asking why atheists hate America is like asking why believers in God hate children.

It's just a slander that has nothing to do with anything.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:47 PM

155 posts, read 349,744 times
Yea, as much as I agree with the billboard, I do find it unnecessary.

Most, if not all, of the atheists I know came to the belief (or lack thereof) on their own. If I saw a billboard that said the lord is my saviour, I wouldn't give a rat's rear. Why would people with opposite beliefs think otherwise when seeing this billboard? Basically, what's the point?

Old 03-05-2012, 02:05 PM

460 posts, read 512,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
Exactly isn't it counter productive and doing some of the same exact things you criticize religious ppl for.
In this specific case I would agree with you.

I think "YOU KNOW IT'S A MYTH" is exactly the kind of substance-less argument atheists always criticize religious people for making.

But I do like seeing atheists being a little more vocal. There's nothing about not believing in a God that means you can't talk about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism