U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:05 PM

7,870 posts, read 6,450,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
But I do like seeing atheists being a little more vocal. There's nothing about not believing in a God that means you can't talk about it.
True, but you don't have to attempt to convert people to the same belief. That's what religious people are supposed to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 07:14 PM

4,618 posts, read 3,718,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
True, but you don't have to attempt to convert people to the same belief. That's what religious people are supposed to do.
When I as a Christian, oddly enough, I never had atheist friends try to convert me to atheism. But I had weekly it seems some other "Christians" trying to convert me to their "Brand" of Christianity. As in, it is not good enough to be a "Christian" you have to be a member of first Baptist church, or 2nd st church of christ, or 3rd assembly of god, or st Judas Izcarrot Catholic etc etc

Now That I have settled comfortably out of Christianity, because I came to the realization that what I believed was NOT waht the Christians taught, I have settled in to my own brand of nonTheistic spiritualism, although I am not trying to convert others or make any money off it.
I do see people professionally who have had their lives devestated by religion, or have so many psycho-somatic problems as the result of their religiousity, that I cannot help but sometimes want to slap them and say "STRAIGHTEN UP. YOU KNOW IT'S A MYTH SO QUIT LETTING IT RUIN YOUR LIFE"
The states would probably revoke my license if I did though

Old 03-05-2012, 07:41 PM

12,899 posts, read 18,414,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
No, it does not. It's a patently false accusation to say that atheists hate America. Atheism has nothing to do with any country.

That's not at all the case with saying that God is a myth.
Both are intended purely to stir turds and not create intelligent dialogue and/or further a higher perspective on the subject.

The billboard in question is pretty much saying:

Attention Jews: Your religion is a lie and you know it, so just abandon your centuries old cultural identity already! We're right and you aren't so when are you gonna get civilized like like us? That is as patently ridiculous to say out of the blue as: "Why do atheists hate America?"

Too many atheists (on this forum especially) fail to realize that something doesn't have to be strictly true to be applicable in people's lives... and on the flip side, one can go through life quite well without understanding the hard science behind how our universe functions. That puts atheists at a double disadvantage when it comes to "spreading the word", so the LAST thing they should do is is put up brainless hate-spewing billboards that put religious people everywhere straight into defense-mode.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... the antidote to religion is knowledge and education. Atheists would go a lot further if they passed out science textbooks instead of doing garbage like this.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:45 PM

460 posts, read 511,083 times
Quote:
Why not? Religion is not only about converting people, you know. Some religions actively avoid it.

Why can't I, as an atheist, try to convince others to also approach the world with reason and open-mindedness as I try to do?

As a side note, I really don't get the argument that following any particular religion can be a "reasonable" and "open-minded" thing to do. It's patently not, and that is the entire point of atheism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Too many atheists (on this forum especially) fail to realize that something doesn't have to be strictly true to be applicable in people's lives...
I fully realize that but I don't see how it's a counter-argument to the billboard.

Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again... the antidote to religion is knowledge and education. Atheists would go a lot further if they passed out science textbooks instead of doing garbage like this.
100% agreed and well put.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:10 PM

12,899 posts, read 18,414,608 times
Quote:

I fully realize that but I don't see how it's a counter-argument to the billboard.
It's not. It's a comment on the mindset of the foaming-at-the-mouth atheists who actually feel the need to spend several thousand dollars to put up such a billboard in the first place.

They decide that since religion isn't literally true, it is all worthless. They "throw the baby out with the bathwater" and forget there is a lot of worthwhile moral tales, timeless wisdom, historical clues and especially valuable human culture in general mixed in with stories of jealous angry gods, worldwide floods and magic carpenters.

Atheists don't need to fight to bring religion down, they need to work on moving society's perspective upward... and that is best done by example, not preaching.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:17 PM

4,428 posts, read 5,483,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
Atheist Billboard Likely To Cause Stir In Brooklyn Neighborhood - NY1.com

A true test of freedom of speech, especially to religious people who whine about ANY form of criticism. It is by virtue, a two way street. Sometimes you dont like what you hear, but if you believe/love in freedom you will accept what is said.

Finally we have some billboards going up.

I think the above sign is the type I find more important to put up. The reason is that I personally think that is much more important at this point to support those of use that are either atheist or agnostics who are afraid and/or feel alone in "coming out."
Granted I do understand trying to get the message of alternatives to religion/god out there. But as I said earlier at this juncture it is more important from my POV that we show support to those of us who need it.

Lastly while I know this billboard is going to be controversial in general and I know the Northeast is far more religious than the rest of the country thinks. I don't think it going to be an absolute lighting rod like it would be in other parts of the country. But that's just my 2 cents.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:58 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,194,627 times
Quote:
Atheists aren't trying to convert theists to atheism, but merely asking that theists treat their religion like your genitalia.

It's supposed to be private and personal, and they are no more enetitled to pull it out and wave it around or force it on others than they are to pull out their wanker and wave it around and force it on others.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:05 PM

460 posts, read 511,083 times
Quote:
It's not. It's a comment on the mindset of the foaming-at-the-mouth atheists who actually feel the need to spend several thousand dollars to put up such a billboard in the first place. They decide that since religion isn't literally true, it is all worthless.
The "good" parts of religion that you mention can exist without the belief in God. Why do you assume that if someone rejects the basic tenant of a belief system, religious or otherwise, they will also reject every single aspect of the system for said aspects' association with the offending tenant?

There are plenty of better, more reasoned / less offensive billboards this group could have put up (see below). The fact that they chose the one they did is disappointing, sure, but is only a reflection on those few atheists, not atheism as a whole.

Google search for "atheist billboard":

http://www.skepdic.com/graphics/canadianbus.jpg

http://stephenphotos.files.wordpress...0068.jpg?w=840

http://i2.squidoocdn.com/resize/squi...y-planes-two-t (this one maybe doesn't count as "not offensive" heh)

And my favorite: http://www.nogod.org.nz/wp-content/u...l-atheists.png

Old 03-06-2012, 02:11 AM

29,996 posts, read 30,623,586 times
Atheist signs have a ways to go to be as offensive as some Christian ones..

Old 03-06-2012, 03:19 AM

3,917 posts, read 2,717,703 times
Quote:
The "good" parts of religion that you mention can exist without the belief in God. Why do you assume that if someone rejects the basic tenant of a belief system, religious or otherwise, they will also reject every single aspect of the system for said aspects' association with the offending tenant?

There are plenty of better, more reasoned / less offensive billboards this group could have put up (see below). The fact that they chose the one they did is disappointing, sure, but is only a reflection on those few atheists, not atheism as a whole.
being an atheist...or agnostic...I'm fairly confident the man realizes this is only a reflection of a few atheists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Atheist signs have a ways to go to be as offensive as some Christian ones..
Those signs are from someone who would be called a...well, this would get deleted by the moderators, but a close translation is "loons who bury their heads underground, ostrich-like, and get the angries when others don't follow their examples."

I think there needs to be a stopping point though...preferably well, well, ahead of the signs by the ostrich-people. A good stopping point would be signs similar to that one that says "Don't believe in God? You're not alone." Not a lot more is needed as far as bilboards is concerned.

The poster that says "You know it's a myth and you have a choice," probably serves the same purpose as the one which says "Don't believe in God? You're not alone." The first one, however, subtly implies that atheists have a duty to reveal themselves. I don't think it's anyone's business whether they reveal themselves or not. If they know its a myth, in all likelyhood, they don't need to be reminded. They have no duty to reveal themselves unless society gives them a fair trade for it, consisting of locally observable benefits of some kind. The second "You're not alone," sign provides such benefits. The first does not.

It would be wrong to ask atheists to be better than other groups behave towards them...again, it wouldn't necessarily be a fair trade...but as far as propaganda which will seem to represent all atheists to many people is concerned, I think it would be best for it to be vastly superior.

Last edited by Clintone; 03-06-2012 at 04:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism