U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:20 AM

10,245 posts, read 10,354,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post

{snip}

Lastly while I know this billboard is going to be controversial in general and I know the Northeast is far more religious than the rest of the country thinks. I don't think it going to be an absolute lighting rod like it would be in other parts of the country. But that's just my 2 cents.
According to a Gallup Poll published in USA Today, all of the states that make up New England rank in the 10 LEAST religious states. The poll was published in 2009, but I doubt things changed much of such a few years.

Mississippi most religious, Vermont least, survey says - USATODAY.com

There are other studies done by Pew Research, but the results all seem consistent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 08:27 AM

4,428 posts, read 5,482,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
According to a Gallup Poll published in USA Today, all of the states that make up New England rank in the 10 LEAST religious states. The poll was published in 2009, but I doubt things changed much of such a few years.

Mississippi most religious, Vermont least, survey says - USATODAY.com

There are other studies done by Pew Research, but the results all seem consistent.
Please. Don't misunderstand what I was trying to get across. I'm not saying that the Northeast in general is less religious than the rest of the country. That I believe is true. But....we are also not completely or almost absent of religion. I have noticed (and maybe it's just me) that there are alot of perceptions out that that the northeast is fairly religiousless (if that a word.) Which I find living here in daily life to be untrue. There are plenty of churches, mosques synagogue, etc. And plenty of worshipers here. In fact my first encounter with a street preacher was in Elizabeth, NJ, 2 years ago. Actually I've see a couple of street preachers there. Some even doing there entire stick in Spanish. (One interesting thing about this was even in Spanish the mannerisms and cadence of speeches are the same.))
Anyways. While I do think religion plays less of a roll here in daily life for people. It also not some heathen, godless part of the country either.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:52 AM

10,245 posts, read 10,354,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Please. Don't misunderstand what I was trying to get across. I'm not saying that the Northeast in general is less religious than the rest of the country. That I believe is true. But....we are also not completely or almost absent of religion. I have noticed (and maybe it's just me) that there are alot of perceptions out that that the northeast is fairly religiousless (if that a word.) Which I find living here in daily life to be untrue. There are plenty of churches, mosques synagogue, etc.

..... {snip} .....

Anyways. While I do think religion plays less of a roll here in daily life for people. It also not some heathen, godless part of the country either.
I certainly didn't mean to imply that there is no religion in New England. However, the poll shows that religion is a smaller part of life than in the Bible Belt.

Here's some of the info:

Following is Gallup's entire list of states, in order of what percentage of respondents said religion is "an important part" of their daily lives:

• Mississippi: 85%

{snip}

• New York: 56%
• Connecticut: 55%
• Nevada: 54%
• Rhode Island: 53%
• Oregon: 53%
• Washington: 52%
• Alaska: 51%
• Massachusetts: 48%
• Maine: 48%
• New Hampshire: 46%
• Vermont: 42%

The parts of New England I've seen have no Blue Laws and people don't even know what they are. There are a lot of churches, but you never hear people say which one they attend (unless you're invited to the flea market/bake sale on Saturday). Religion seems to come into conversation very rarely, in my experience.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:27 AM

4,428 posts, read 5,482,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The parts of New England I've seen have no Blue Laws and people don't even know what they are.
Yeah. I'm happy to see them go. I remember when you couldn't by alcohol on Sundays. Nuts. But that the way it was. I don't know if all the blue laws are gone but it does seem that way at this point.

Believe it or not though there are still some blue laws in some counties in NJ. I remember report when people had flooding in Bergen County in NJ. People couldn't get stuff for stopping or cleaning up from the flooding because of the blue laws in the county.

http://www.paramuspost.com/article.p...00322154623826

Quote:
There are a lot of churches, but you never hear people say which one they attend (unless you're invited to the flea market/bake sale on Saturday). Religion seems to come into conversation very rarely, in my experience
Well you and I know most New Englanders have a tendency to be reserved in general. Basically we mind our own business on personal issues. Not so much in Northern NJ, and NYC metro area. Actually the in your face thing here is really grating on me. That's on be reason me and my S.O. are dying to permanently move back home. Granted every chance we get we're home in MA.

Last edited by baystater; 03-06-2012 at 09:42 AM..

Old 03-06-2012, 10:49 AM

7,857 posts, read 6,448,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It's supposed to be private and personal, and they are no more enetitled to pull it out and wave it around or force it on others than they are to pull out their wanker and wave it around and force it on others.
If it's supposed to be private and personal, why put it out there on a billboard? Especially one that is patently obnoxious. As I said earlier, my atheism isn't an "ism" at all, because that implies a group thought process. I personally decided that I do not believe there is a god or any other higher power. I find it strange when atheists band together in a similar group to typical religions. It defeats the purpose in my mind, and almost proves that we as humans need group acceptance to live a normal life, which is likely one of the reasons religions are so prominent throughout human history in the first place.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:45 AM

460 posts, read 510,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I find it strange when atheists band together in a similar group to typical religions. It defeats the purpose in my mind...
I don't see anything wrong with people who share similar viewpoints grouping themselves together. What is so wrong with that? People do it all the time for their politics, jobs, hobbies, any number of things. People do like to be part of a group and there's nothing wrong with that.

I think it's a mistake to see atheism as simply a rebellion against religion. It's not. It's simply the belief that God does not exist. That's it! The fact that religious people often group together does not mean atheists cannot also group together if they want to. As do people who like model trains, aviation, libertarianism, cooking, etc.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:22 PM

14,805 posts, read 16,949,098 times
Seems cool to me, i have never seen a Atheist billboard but i see alot of religious billboards so its kind of exciting. Just today i saw a billboard that said "Love god. Love people."

Old 03-07-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
I think it's a mistake to see atheism as simply a rebellion against religion. It's not. It's simply the belief that God does not exist. That's it! The fact that religious people often group together does not mean atheists cannot also group together if they want to. As do people who like model trains, aviation, libertarianism, cooking, etc.
My point is exactly that: atheism shouldn't be a rebellion against religion. Posting obnoxious billboards and the act of pooling money together for that goal most definitely IS a rebellion against religion.

Becoming friends because of common interests is one thing, but forming a group which takes on properties of a typical religious organization just seems ironic to me in context to atheism. I personally would never 'attend' an atheist gathering. If I was looking for that sort of validation, I'd go to church.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:58 AM

3,362 posts, read 2,135,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
My point is exactly that: atheism shouldn't be a rebellion against religion. Posting obnoxious billboards and the act of pooling money together for that goal most definitely IS a rebellion against religion.

Becoming friends because of common interests is one thing, but forming a group which takes on properties of a typical religious organization just seems ironic to me in context to atheism. I personally would never 'attend' an atheist gathering. If I was looking for that sort of validation, I'd go to church.
I think the distinction for me is that while there are religious-ish groups that atheists can be a part of (Ethical Culture societies, the UU church, etc...), groups like American Atheists and the International Humanist Ethical Union are not this type of group. The latter are really political/social action groups dedicated to representing non-theistic viewpoints. I see these groups as much more like civil rights organizations like the NAACP or GLAAD than I do as religious organizations. I personally don't have any use for a pseudo-religious atheist organization. That is part of what I left behind when I left the church. I do think that we need groups that will stand up and acknowledge that we exist, we are not second rate people, we are not monsters or the embodiment of evil, and that our lack of belief is a valid stance that deserves the same constitutional protections as every other religious position.

NoCapo

Old 03-07-2012, 12:03 PM

But what protections do we need? The right to not do something? Not being facetious, but I seriously can't think of a single 'protection' I need as an athiest unless there's a group willing to protect me from my grandmother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism