Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 09:11 PM

400 posts, read 983,373 times

Advertisements

Atheist Billboard Likely To Cause Stir In Brooklyn Neighborhood - NY1.com

A true test of freedom of speech, especially to religious people who whine about ANY form of criticism. It is by virtue, a two way street. Sometimes you dont like what you hear, but if you believe/love in freedom you will accept what is said.

Finally we have some billboards going up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 09:17 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
I don't see why it should offend anyone.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:45 PM

458 posts, read 616,141 times
I'm an atheist but there are much better arguments to be made than that... Not very convincing. But I'm glad to see religious zealots getting some of their own medicine.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:29 AM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times
I've always looked at my atheism as a personal choice and mostly keep it to myself. I've never understood the atheists who take their disbelief to religious levels. Isn't that sort of going against the whole point of it? A group of atheists is just as bad as a church. I don't see the point.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:00 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
Atheist Billboard Likely To Cause Stir In Brooklyn Neighborhood - NY1.com

A true test of freedom of speech, especially to religious people who whine about ANY form of criticism. It is by virtue, a two way street. Sometimes you dont like what you hear, but if you believe/love in freedom you will accept what is said.
Or will at least defend to the death their right to say it (even hate-speech) - which is further than free speech itself will go.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:56 AM

254 posts, read 202,485 times
We need more atheist billboards in America and less crazy religious people.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:16 AM

669 posts, read 1,273,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I've always looked at my atheism as a personal choice and mostly keep it to myself. I've never understood the atheists who take their disbelief to religious levels. Isn't that sort of going against the whole point of it? A group of atheists is just as bad as a church. I don't see the point.
Exactly isn't it counter productive and doing some of the same exact things you criticize religious ppl for.

And of course some religious ppl are gonna feel offended by this billboard because your basically disrespecting a part of who they are, to a lot of ppl religion is like their culture they don't take kindly to outsiders disrespecting their beliefs.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:48 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
I'm an atheist but there are much better arguments to be made than that... Not very convincing. But I'm glad to see religious zealots getting some of their own medicine.
Interestingly, many jews are often Jewish by culture and atheist by default. (Not true of the Orthodox, but certainly of Reform Jews).

THE ATHEIST JEW

Atheist Jews: Judaism Without God

Old 03-05-2012, 07:55 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I disagree. Supernatural beliefs need to be exposed for what they are - myths, plain and simple.

They need to be challenged at the very least. We don't live in the dark ages any longer.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times
Honestly, I don't see the difference between that billboard and this one:

Both sides need to grow the hell up. Doing exactly what the religious right does only makes Atheism look stupid too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism