Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 01:15 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You seem to have given this a lot of thought and invested a great deal of emotional energy into your plea for me to "properly" (in your opinion) characterize my views. You seem new here and I have no idea how many of my 14,000+ posts you have read. I also have a synthesis that is designed to convey the basis for my views. As with many things there are multiple layers to my views. The science underlying them is solid and settled. The hypotheses I present are speculative but fully consistent with the extant science and the philosophical understanding of it. My BELIEFS are just that . . . beliefs based on personal experiences in meditation. They are only a small part . . . but a crucial part in my certainty about the existence of God.

For each of us . . . the things we personally experience and test in our own subjective ways are the MOST real to us . . . if we are honest about it. My acceptance of Christ results from His matching perfectly the attributes of the consciousness I encounter in deep meditation. His story matches the template I perceive in my extensive evaluation and study of the "spiritual fossil record" of our species attempts to understand God. But as BELIEFS . . . they are still more of a faith-based veneer over what is undeniably a more comprehensive and substantive scientific understanding of reality.

SO . . . to follow your advice and expectations would not be easily done. I suggest you read my synthesis and more of my posts if you are still uncertain which aspects of my views I can legitimately claim to KNOW and NOT KNOW . . . and which are mere beliefs.

(Boldfaced highlighting added to your above quote by myself)

I can take the time (when I find the time to) to peruse your other referenced posts to be familiar with your larger views and thinking . . . though I am not unfamiliar with Christian thinking at-large, as I am widely read, studied, and traveled and was a Protestant evangelical conservative Christian myself for a portion of my adult years and was a rather accomplished preacher / teacher / apologist for the Christian faith. So such lines-of-thought are not unknown or foreign to me.

My main point or response to your response is as follows:

Personal subjective experience (or better stated as "purported personal subjective experience") is not a basis for proclaiming something to be true in a way or manner that compels, obligates or demands that the rest of humanity accept and proclaim as truth said propositions. It is not enough to say "Well, it is true for me. I had ‘such and such’ event or experience or personal reflection and it convinced me that <insert whatever the truth claim is here>". Such an event or experience (if said event or experience, in fact, happened at all or some particular event or experience happened but the person misperceived or misinterpreted it, or it was just an event or experience within the person's own mind or imagination) cannot be a basis for proclaiming as fact that the implication or evaluation taken from this real or purported event or experience is, in fact, true and therefore to be accepted by all other humans as true . . . because the event or experience is merely “purported” and was experienced by no other person or party at the same time other than this singular person and is not replicatable or provable. However, this does NOT say that therefore this PROVES that the purported event or experience or the interpretation of the purported event or experience is not true, but what it instead says is that this alleged or purported event or experience and then the person's interpretation of said event or experience cannot be validated by the rest of us as being real and true . . . so therefore there is not an obligation by the rest of humanity-at-large to accept it as a truth which applies to us all. Unless you can actually demonstrate (not just assert but demonstrate) that you have faculties and powers-of-perception that the rest of us don’t have (i.e., saying to the rest of us, in essence, that “Well, I can see and know it to be true but you apparently can’t because you are not tuned in or as perceptive or intelligent as I am and I have powers-of-perception and channels to knowledge that are apparently unavailable to you”), the likely truth is that you do not have faculties and powers-of-perception that the rest of us don’t have (or at least those among us who are also highly intelligent, studied, scholarly, open-minded/non-dogmatic, perceptive, critical, analytical, . . . which admittedly not everyone in the population-at-large is, but I most certainly am and many others on this forum likely are as well). In summary, whatever you can perceive and interpret as truth should be accessible and available to all the rest of us . . . for you are just another mortal human being with human limitations like all the rest of us have (unless you can demonstrate yourself to truly be more than the rest of us and not subject to our same human limitations).

(As a sidenote, said in relation to your mention of engaging in personal meditation or reflection and then drawing truth conclusions based on those meditations or reflections): And, as I stated in a few other postings of mine in other threads, LOGICAL TAUTOLOGIES (LOGICAL “PROOFS”), in and of themselves, also do not actually PROVE that something is true or valid; they merely give us a basis for forming what is called a “hypothesis” or sometimes even a "working theory") upon which we can then explore further to hopefully either validate or invalidate the idea(s) or to at least hopefully point us in a fruitful direction.

In summary, purported subjective experience is not a valid PROOF for claims of any type. . . for if it was, then EVERYBODY'S real or purported personal subjective experiences are just as acceptable and valid (if the only basis we are called to go on is one’s request to accept their claims at face value because they “personally experienced” such-and-such event or experience). On that premise, we can just as well lend belief to Krishna and Shiva (the Hindu gods), to the Baha’i god, to the Creator Ahura Mazda (of the Zoroastrianism faith), to Allah and his prophet Mohammed (of the Islamic faith), to Scientology, to Mormonism and its prophet Joseph Smith, etc. etc. etc., ad infinitum. We can just as well lend belief to any individuals’ claims of being abducted and impregnated by aliens, to being reincarnated souls, etc. etc. etc., ad infinitum. The most that any alleged or purported subjective experience can do for us is to give us a valid basis for formulating a hypothesis (e.g., the so-called “God Hypothesis”). If we want to validly and acceptably take it beyond that (i.e., in a way that humanity-at-large can universally agree to accept it as true for and applicable to all of us), then we must meet the standard established criteria for what has been called the “rules of evidence” as prevails in courts of law in Britain and America (for instance) and in what can be called the “court of science”. And make no mistake about it: claims that there is a supreme transcendent creator / prime mover / motivating force of the cosmos or the universe and all that occurs within it IS, in fact, a SCIENTIFIC CLAIM by its very nature and is therefore subject to the scientific methods of inquiry, investigation, and validation (or invalidation, for that matter).

In the end, I don’t personally say to you nor to others “You are wrong. There is no God or there is no son-of-God named Jesus Christ” etc. etc.; I instead say “I (or we) do not KNOW said claims to be true so therefore I (or we) will not, at present, lend belief to said claims until or unless we are presented with a valid, justifiable basis for doing so that does not depend upon appeals to faith or belief or appeals to emotion or ignorance or fear or that depend on faulty arguments, misinformation, misapplication of concepts, or faulty lines of logic and reasoning.” I personally am only concerned with knowledge, not belief (faith). Some others here may differ in their own stance but that is my personal stance. I don’t otherwise knock or try to take away belief from others as long as they are not imperialistic with myself and others about it but it is just their personal choice for how to conduct their personal lives and what ideas they will build their lives around and subscribe to. Fair enough? I should think so.

Last edited by UsAll; 05-24-2012 at 01:44 PM..

Old 05-24-2012, 08:43 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
(Boldfaced highlighting added to your above quote by myself)
I can take the time (when I find the time to) to peruse your other referenced posts to be familiar with your larger views and thinking . . . though I am not unfamiliar with Christian thinking at-large, as I am widely read, studied, and traveled and was a Protestant evangelical conservative Christian myself for a portion of my adult years and was a rather accomplished preacher / teacher / apologist for the Christian faith. So such lines-of-thought are not unknown or foreign to me.
I am far from your typical Christian apologist, UsAll. I suggest you begin with my synthesis to see the science behind my views first.

My Synthesis1

My Synthesis2

My Synthesis3

My Synthesis4

My Synthesis5
Quote:
My main point or response to your response is as follows:
I am quite familiar with that perspective on subjective personal experience and am in general agreement with it. I was an atheist for the better part of the first 30 years of my life. As a practicing Buddhist atheist it took me 18+ years before my first encounter in deep meditation. My atheism evaporated instantly and my life has never been the same since. The ensuing 40+ years since have provided ME with more than enough evidence that God exists . . . as I experience His consciousness.

In my case, I engaged in decades of applying the scientific method to my experiences to validate TO ME that I am not delusional. My experiences definitely reflect things outside of my control or that of my subconscious. By acquiring the right brain discipline and rigor required for deep meditation under conscious control . . . you could replicate them for yourself. I accept that it is insufficient for you . . . but my certainty is far more than the typical self-selective subjective preference for belief.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:13 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Quote:
I am far from your typical Christian apologist, UsAll. I suggest you begin with my synthesis to see the science behind my views first.

My Synthesis1

My Synthesis2

My Synthesis3

My Synthesis4

My Synthesis5

I am quite familiar with that perspective on subjective personal experience and am in general agreement with it. I was an atheist for the better part of the first 30 years of my life. As a practicing Buddhist atheist it took me 18+ years before my first encounter in deep meditation. My atheism evaporated instantly and my life has never been the same since. The ensuing 40+ years since have provided ME with more than enough evidence that God exists . . . as I experience His consciousness.

In my case, I engaged in decades of applying the scientific method to my experiences to validate TO ME that I am not delusional. My experiences definitely reflect things outside of my control or that of my subconscious. By acquiring the right brain discipline and rigor required for deep meditation under conscious control . . . you could replicate them for yourself. I accept that it is insufficient for you . . . but my certainty is far more than the typical self-selective subjective preference for belief.

I will try to find the time to read through and peruse your referenced "syntheses" (I pasted them all into a Microsoft Word document and saved it, for ease of reading and perusing . . . even when not at a computer, as I can print it out).

Last edited by UsAll; 05-24-2012 at 11:25 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 11:59 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
I will try to find the time to read through and peruse your referenced "syntheses" (I pasted them all into a Microsoft Word document and saved it, for ease of reading and perusing . . . even when not at a computer, as I can print it out).
Love to hear your impressions of it. It is certainly intriguing and contains a lot of thought. Poster Goldenrule was very impressed.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:56 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,423,843 times
Quote:
The science underlying them is solid and settled.
Not really given the way all the people actually literate in science line up on this forum to point out the host of errors - assumptions - and fallacies in your "synthesis". It seems your evidence is more "synthetic" than "synthesis" given it is all based on nothing but your own admitted decades long campaign of confirmation bias to validate a decision you made one day that a happy slappy emotion you felt while mumbling to yourself was proof of "god".

Quote:
For each of us . . . the things we personally experience and test in our own subjective ways are the MOST real to us
Yet we must test our experiences against reality to see if those experiences hold true. This does not happen with you. You simply experience something and decide it is defacto true and real. Unfortunately when you actually try and hold your experiences up to reality and see if they hold the best you can come up with is "We can not explain some stuff yet - so there must be a god" or "Some psychics and mystics do not ask for money so they must be for real". All backed up by putting down the characters - intelligence - education - biases of anyone who disagrees with you.

Infact I invite you - and everyone here - to go back and re-read your "synthetics" and see how large a % of the first link in it is dedicated solely to talking about how educated you find yourself to be - and how anyone who disagrees with you must be biased or undereducated. The opening paragraphs of your diatribe are solely dedicated to establishing you are correct and everyone else is somehow deficient. There is no evidence or argument there just opening salvos of ad hominem fired in advance at anyone who does not buy what you are selling. Those who doubt you simply "dismiss" things while those who agree with you are "in short open minded scholars" while those who critize you are "only somewhat knowledgeable about many of the philosophical and scientific aspects of our reality" and their "bias is so potent".

You do nothing at all in this "synthetics" but basically put down anyone who does not buy your nonsense. A practice that premeates most of your posts as you level accusations of bias, ignorance, intellectual deficiency and more at anyone who does not agree with you.

Last edited by monumentus; 05-30-2012 at 02:09 AM..

Old 05-30-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Not really given the way all the people actually literate in science line up on this forum to point out the host of errors - assumptions - and fallacies in your "synthesis". It seems your evidence is more "synthetic" than "synthesis" given it is all based on nothing but your own admitted decades long campaign of confirmation bias to validate a decision you made one day that a happy slappy emotion you felt while mumbling to yourself was proof of "god".
How does this personal attack of me expose any errors of mine or validate your continued attacks of my knowledge.[quote
Yet we must test our experiences against reality to see if those experiences hold true. This does not happen with you. You simply experience something and decide it is defacto true and real. [/quote] You know this How???
Quote:
"Some psychics and mystics do not ask for money so they must be for real".
Again YOUR inference. I said not such thing. I said the ones who DO are frauds and con artists, period.
Quote:
All backed up by putting down the characters - intelligence - education - biases of anyone who disagrees with you.
Projection?
Quote:
Infact I invite you - and everyone here - to go back and re-read your "synthetics" and see how large a % of the first link in it is dedicated solely to talking about how educated you find yourself to be - and how anyone who disagrees with you must be biased or undereducated. The opening paragraphs of your diatribe are solely dedicated to establishing you are correct and everyone else is somehow deficient. There is no evidence or argument there just opening salvos of ad hominem fired in advance at anyone who does not buy what you are selling.
How can there be an ad hominem with no one to attack? Please quote these attacks you attribute to me in my synthesis.BTW what is calling my synthesis "synthetics" considered . . . respectful debate?
Quote:
Those who doubt you simply "dismiss" things while those who agree with you are "in short open minded scholars" while those who critize you are "only somewhat knowledgeable about many of the philosophical and scientific aspects of our reality" and their "bias is so potent".
Actually those who dismiss things actually just dismiss things without support or rebuttal. Those who criticize without addressing the philosophical basis of my views would indeed be biased or only somewhat knowledgeable.[/quote]
You do nothing at all in this "synthetics" but basically put down anyone who does not buy your nonsense. A practice that premeates most of your posts as you level accusations of bias, ignorance, intellectual deficiency and more at anyone who does not agree with you.[/quote]I attack no one. I point out any bias, lack of knowledge and supporting rationale behind any rebuttals. If that makes anyone feel attacked . . . it is none of my doing.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:53 AM

Yea because everyone who disagrees with you is on a campaign to personally attack you. You play this card a little too often for it to mean anything anymore. I know you SAY that there is some kind of personal campaign against you but I am hard pushed to believe you actually buy into that or are that paranoid.

You also play the "no rebuttal" card very often but the problem is you present nothing to rebut - so of course you will get no rebuttal. You just declare things to be true. Such as declaring that conciousness can not arise naturally so god must explain it. As long as you refuse to substantiate your positions however you can always hide behind the "no rebutal" card. As long as you just declare things to be true and never back them up you are safe from rebutal because you are not actually presenting anything TO rebut.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:52 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Regardless of all the verbiage involved, Mystic refuses to see that his entire proposal is just one more version,albeit an elborate one, of a very mundane "God of the Gaps" argument.

Incorporating 'dark energy' and 'dark matter' places the whole thing straight into the speculative arena so what's to rebut?(unless one just likes to argue speculatively)

Old 05-31-2012, 04:56 AM

Yea as was said before if you do not present an argument to rebut you can always keep massaging your own ego by pretending no one can rebut you. It is a tired tactic. "Oh yeah the universe is concious and I could prove it to you if only I could find dark matter - bet you cant rebut me though har har har". Pull the other one.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Yea because everyone who disagrees with you is on a campaign to personally attack you. You play this card a little too often for it to mean anything anymore. I know you SAY that there is some kind of personal campaign against you but I am hard pushed to believe you actually buy into that or are that paranoid.
This addresses my VIEWS how??? It is entirely a personal attack. What else would you call it?
Quote:
You also play the "no rebuttal" card very often but the problem is you present nothing to rebut - so of course you will get no rebuttal. You just declare things to be true. Such as declaring that conciousness can not arise naturally so god must explain it.
When have I EVER said "God must explain" anything or "God did it." I have carefully presented and there is extensive discourse about why consciousness cannot arise from dead material, period. Therefore it must inhere in our reality itself. What else would you call a reality that is conscious . . . if NOT God?
Quote:
As long as you refuse to substantiate your positions however you can always hide behind the "no rebutal" card. As long as you just declare things to be true and never back them up you are safe from rebutal because you are not actually presenting anything TO rebut.
You have NEVER engaged the philosophical issue of the existence of consciousness or why it is NOT incompatible with a materialist view . . . or if you prefer how it IS compatible with a materialist view. Care to try now instead of pretending that there is nothing to rebut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism