Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:39 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times

Advertisements

Nah
Just try and keep them out of my business. It's a full time job. They like to act on that will they get from God, they're on a mission and to me "theist" is a virus that spreads to those who don't wash their hands well enough. I try and wash often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 10:56 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Hey, The Blues Brothers were on a mission from God.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:11 PM

That was a special mission. lol

Old 03-29-2012, 11:16 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Hey, The Blues Brothers were on a mission from God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
That was a special mission. lol

We're on a mission from God. - YouTube

Old 03-30-2012, 07:14 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Nah
Just try and keep them out of my business. It's a full time job. They like to act on that will they get from God, they're on a mission and to me "theist" is a virus that spreads to those who don't wash their hands well enough. I try and wash often.
Keep the unfaith. I do rather like your style.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:24 PM

63,778 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Nah
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I can see why . . . so gracious!

Old 03-30-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
gra·cious (grshs)
adj.
1. Characterized by kindness and warm courtesy. Nope
2. Characterized by tact and propriety: responded to the insult with gracious humor. Sometimes
3. Of a merciful or compassionate nature. Not usually
4. Condescendingly courteous; indulgent. Bingo!
5. Characterized by charm or beauty; graceful. I'm hoping this applies
6. Characterized by elegance and good taste: gracious living. Um.......
7. Archaic Enjoying favor or grace; acceptable or pleasing. LOL
interj.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:57 PM

212 posts, read 572,757 times
[quote=Trimac20;23432684]I'm just wondering if anyone here has actively tried to 'de-convert' a believer in any theistic faith, or rather convert them to an atheistic way of thinking...I'm sure it's much less than the opposite, although if the conversation comes up you are bound to argue your point, which might sway certain believers.

This includes trying to convince someone of the falseness of their religion, arguing for atheism, starting/contributing to atheist websites.etc.

If so how successful have you been? Have you landed in hot water, experienced disapproval from family, peers.etc for doing so?

I think Dawkins said he was an evangelical atheist. While maybe not going to that extreme, how many have taken it upon yourself to free people from the oppressive bonds of religion, as you might view it?[/QUOTE

Depends if they don't bother me I don't bother them. If they bother me exmp: soap box preachers then I give them a lesson in logic and reasoning.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:39 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
As poppyhead saithed, hardly. It's because I try to cultivate that quality in the hopes of dialogue rather than hurling of epithets, it is refreshing to see someone saying what I sometimes feel I should be saying..were it not that theists love to play the hurt martyr card if one speaks sharply to them.

And that leads on to...

[quote=desol11;23648989]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm just wondering if anyone here has actively tried to 'de-convert' a believer in any theistic faith, or rather convert them to an atheistic way of thinking...I'm sure it's much less than the opposite, although if the conversation comes up you are bound to argue your point, which might sway certain believers.

This includes trying to convince someone of the falseness of their religion, arguing for atheism, starting/contributing to atheist websites.etc.

If so how successful have you been? Have you landed in hot water, experienced disapproval from family, peers.etc for doing so?

I think Dawkins said he was an evangelical atheist. While maybe not going to that extreme, how many have taken it upon yourself to free people from the oppressive bonds of religion, as you might view it?[/QUOTE

Depends if they don't bother me I don't bother them. If they bother me exmp: soap box preachers then I give them a lesson in logic and reasoning.
There is a thread on AA about this. I of course began by thinking that all one had to do was set out the argument in clear logical manner and the theists would de-convert in droves I was soon disabused. I then realized that theists can only deconvert if they themselves seriously ask themselves questions (which is why most of their thinking is aimed at NOT asking questions) and I have often asked myself what I am doing this for.

The deconverts don't need to be persuaded and the theists are really not listening - I know this as several deconverted have said that they now realized that their minds were closed and they were really not listening.

Have you never talked to someone and you can see that they are not really considering what you are saying but just impatiently waiting to jump in with some brush it off response? That's what I feel like here.

But people do deconvert and that's because they ask questions themselves and it is only by suggesting the question that they may find that they cannot put the questions out of their head.

Something works and there's also the wider issue - getting the case out there into a world of convenient acceptance of religions in which many don't actualy believe, though they don't always realise it. And I think I've now quite drifted far enough off topic.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:20 AM

63,778 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Nah
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
As poppyhead saithed, hardly. It's because I try to cultivate that quality in the hopes of dialogue rather than hurling of epithets, it is refreshing to see someone saying what I sometimes feel I should be saying..were it not that theists love to play the hurt martyr card if one speaks sharply to them.
Oh give me a break, Arequipa . . . it is the arrogance of atheist pomposity and undeserved celebration of their "little knowledge that's a dangerous thing" that enables them to act on their "ignorance of what they are ignorant about" with such certainty and disdain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism