U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:54 AM

9,955 posts, read 13,539,889 times
Oh, yes, that. "Except for that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"
I never heard that Voltaire quote. That's really meaningful. (Did he get burned at a stake or what?)
Why would believers think atheists might steal their souls? Even if we are the Debbil, they are such believers that it can't matter, right? I always thought they were just that concerned about my own disposition, not my effect on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 07:50 AM

5,176 posts, read 2,438,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Oh, yes, that. "Except for that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"
I never heard that Voltaire quote. That's really meaningful. (Did he get burned at a stake or what?)
Why would believers think atheists might steal their souls? Even if we are the Debbil, they are such believers that it can't matter, right? I always thought they were just that concerned about my own disposition, not my effect on them.
It probably depends greatly on which religion they are. Some don't blame a devil, it's just for effect. But, some really do believe the devil is out there working to promote evil lifestyles. I can see how they might tie my non belief to the opposite. But to me if I don't believe in God so, why would I believe in the devil?
I'd love to say that but I'm afraid it would be a lengthy explanation as to why that makes sense to them seeing I don't understand how any of it makes sense to them I'm sure they have a reason for the devils work I wouldn't understand as well. Not to mention I'm at work and don't want to go there.

You've given me an idea though. Maybe I'll start a thread about it and get some answers, an education on the devil from some of the religious people who include the devil in their beliefs. I'd like to know myself.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:22 PM

26,947 posts, read 20,051,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Yes I'm afraid to admit that I'm agnostic to anyone, it would be a very hostile environment around here if I did. I don't know of any other atheists/agnostics in real life, just me, and so C-D is the only place I have that is safe and anonymous to talk about it.

I know for a fact that in the South where I live that people equate atheism with satanism, they think we're straight from the devil. I used to believe the same thing as a Christian. Being a fundamentalist is a way of life around here and they have some pretty crazy ideas so I hear ya when you say you're going to go into hiding......it's scary out there.
OK...just when I think I've heard everything. But I've NEVER heard that one before. Then again, I've never lived in the south amongst fundamentalists.

It just doesn't make sense. If you don't believe in God, how do you then believe in Satan? The only way I think that can be twisted is a belief that anything that is not Christian must therefore be something of evil/Satan and so whether atheists themselves believe they are Satanists or not, they are, by default, because they are not Christian. How's that?

Old 04-02-2012, 07:20 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,442,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK...just when I think I've heard everything. But I've NEVER heard that one before. Then again, I've never lived in the south amongst fundamentalists.

It just doesn't make sense. If you don't believe in God, how do you then believe in Satan? The only way I think that can be twisted is a belief that anything that is not Christian must therefore be something of evil/Satan and so whether atheists themselves believe they are Satanists or not, they are, by default, because they are not Christian. How's that?
There is a cultic "Us against the world" Thinking prevelant amongst evangelicals/fundies. As it was explained to me by several of them, "You are either with us and with GOd or against us. the devil controls everyone and everything except us"
That would include everythong from aetheists to satanists, communists to democrats, Islam to Hindu. The only exception being the Jews, "God's Chosen people"

This type of thinking is common in more destructive extremists Cults like the Unification Church and the Jim Jones cult, for example. It has been absorbed and beome commonly practiced by evangelicals today as well.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:35 PM

3,525 posts, read 1,381,511 times
I was an atheist for a time: so no.

But it isn't a particularly enlightened belief system, imo.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 PM

9,742 posts, read 7,715,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post

What to you is the atheist belief system?

Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 PM

3,786 posts, read 1,429,169 times
and clear isnt a particularly flashy color.
but many religionists dont make it easy for people to say they dont particularly believe in an important aspect of their religion.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:48 PM

741 posts, read 230,050 times
Honestly I would be afraid to be athiest in a Muslim country but not in the US, religious people are super tolerant/peaceful in my experience it's athiests who you have to worrry about, they hate religion and come off as very angry and violent like they want to commit terrorist acts against churches by suicide bon bing or something that's how crazy they sound. BTW I'm agnostic

Rep me if you agree & I will rep u back if u leave me ur screenname even if you don't agree u can rep me

Old 04-02-2012, 10:46 PM

24,370 posts, read 17,419,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post

Belief system? LMAO!

Old 04-02-2012, 11:49 PM

5,176 posts, read 2,438,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Honestly I would be afraid to be athiest in a Muslim country but not in the US, religious people are super tolerant/peaceful in my experience it's athiests who you have to worrry about, they hate religion and come off as very angry and violent like they want to commit terrorist acts against churches by suicide bon bing or something that's how crazy they sound. BTW I'm agnostic

Rep me if you agree & I will rep u back if u leave me ur screenname even if you don't agree u can rep me
?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism