U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-03-2012, 05:16 PM

9,809 posts, read 12,963,538 times
Couldn't the same be said about any person's pronouncement of their belief system? What if born-agains found Catholics upsetting, should Catholics hide their belief system?
It's sort of like gay people who are supposed to keep it to themselves, yet the straight people around them have family photos, say "We went away for the weekend," "My husband/wife said..."
If someone speaks from a religious perspective or states a religious affiliation and that is the conversation, why shouldn't an atheist say, just as openly and pleasantly, "That's not my belief. I'm atheist."
Hey, at least we don't dress up in drag and have endless daily parades on television, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
Some people call themselves atheist for that very reason, to get a reaction from someone they know will react like that. There is no reason to label yourself an atheist if it is going to divide you from the ones you love. Thats the whole point really, logic over division unless your logic is to divide.

Live and let live.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 05:37 PM

853 posts, read 463,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Couldn't the same be said about any person's pronouncement of their belief system? What if born-agains found Catholics upsetting, should Catholics hide their belief system?
It's sort of like gay people who are supposed to keep it to themselves, yet the straight people around them have family photos, say "We went away for the weekend," "My husband/wife said..."
If someone speaks from a religious perspective or states a religious affiliation and that is the conversation, why shouldn't an atheist say, just as openly and pleasantly, "That's not my belief. I'm atheist."
Hey, at least we don't dress up in drag and have endless daily parades on television, right?

I have to label myself as not believing in God? No. It's not dishonest, and if they want to get into a discussion with me then good we will get into a discussion for thats what I am about. As for coming out for the sake of coming out to tell them that I am right and they are wrong, thats just silly. Should I give myself a label for all the other things I don't believe in? Why am i compelled to state my disbelief in GOD and not my disbelief in lets say the Higgs Boson or all the other things I dont believe in. Its just a point of view really, choose harmony over discord and the fact that your happier should be a reason for people to listen. If your right your right and no fear or lies should keep all from the conclusions of a truth!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:54 PM

1,496 posts, read 683,561 times
If you're scared...go to church!

Old 04-03-2012, 09:16 PM

2,293 posts, read 3,843,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Sounds like a lot of hate and intolerance. Maybe you would be better off without her. I know I would not want to be around someone like that.

If anyone, including family members, did not accept me as an atheist then they don't deserve to know me.
Intolerance, yes. Hate? I don't know. I think some people get so into a belief system that they lose sight of realty and reason. She used to be cool. I guess I've already lost her (as she's a shadow of her former self) as she's such a crazed religious fanatic, I don't really want to completely lose her because of her sky daddy delusions. Telling her I am an atheist (the one thing she loathes more than Muslims/gays) would finish us off. But perhaps you're right. I'm probably just postponing the inevitable.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:24 PM

10,584 posts, read 4,248,695 times
My grandfather was taken out and shot by the communists..Their prime question was if he believed in GOD... He took the bullet rather than deny his own beliefs and principles. As a little boy - I watched in hiding as my father wept and smashed an old Icon of Jesus Christ...He probably blamed Jesus for the death of his dad..I am more afraid of being a real Christian than an atheist...an atheist will be spared by the state...a real Christian will not be shown mercy by the state...It is easy to go with the flow and deny God in a savage world.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:25 PM

2,864 posts, read 3,068,612 times
I think it's a dreadful idea to ever tell anyone at work you're an atheist. First, it's none of their business and you know that information like this will spread and you will be negatively judged.

I try very hard to avoid discussions of religion at work, but when pressed, I have always just said, "I am a non-believer." For some reason this usually shuts them up. They may be too obtuse to figure out what "non-believer" means or they don't have the nerve to ask. Maybe they assume my stances is somewhere between agnostic and atheist, but I'm not pestered about it after I tell them this.

The only people who you should be telling you're an atheist is your family, spouse or very close friends. Most others will judge you negatively, gossip about you, or pity you because "you're not going to heaven."

Old 04-03-2012, 09:27 PM

2,293 posts, read 3,843,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
So I have told this one before, but I had a or of a Dallas area Christian Church (one of those member churches of the "association of Christian churches and churches of Christ") Flat out tell me that I was worshipping Satan by eating Chinese food.
The way he told it was that if you like Chinese food, then you are saying that you approve of something about their culture, and since China is a communist country and the official religion is atheism, and since Satan is behind atheism, then if you eat Chinese food you are therefore endorsing Satan.
He said he did not eat Chinese food because he would not wanted to be associated with Satan.

And this was a guy who was being paid a salary to pastor a church. And you wonder why I am a Non-Believer !?!?!
The sad thing is that many people eat that stuff up even if it's beyond stupid.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:58 PM

10,584 posts, read 4,248,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I think it's a dreadful idea to ever tell anyone at work you're an atheist. First, it's none of their business and you know that information like this will spread and you will be negatively judged.

I try very hard to avoid discussions of religion at work, but when pressed, I have always just said, "I am a non-believer." For some reason this usually shuts them up. They may be too obtuse to figure out what "non-believer" means or they don't have the nerve to ask. Maybe they assume my stances is somewhere between agnostic and atheist, but I'm not pestered about it after I tell them this.

The only people who you should be telling you're an atheist is your family, spouse or very close friends. Most others will judge you negatively, gossip about you, or pity you because "you're not going to heaven."
IF there is an intelligent force called GOD...I totally doubt that you would be blocked from heaven....This life and this earth by design was made to be a heaven...and fanatics ..religious and atheist...create hell on earth...as for being private..The other day a person -looked at me like a fool for believing...He questioned me on whether I believed in GOD...if I would have known he was such a fool...I would have kept my mouth shut....He believes in aliens from other worlds but not GOD...go figure...little green men that there is no proof of...but not the creator who generated this miracle we live in.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:11 PM

9,462 posts, read 7,190,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Just reply to them saying that they're not going to heaven either, because heaven doesn't exist.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:18 AM

4,966 posts, read 2,220,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
My grandfather was taken out and shot by the communists..Their prime question was if he believed in GOD... He took the bullet rather than deny his own beliefs and principles. As a little boy - I watched in hiding as my father wept and smashed an old Icon of Jesus Christ...He probably blamed Jesus for the death of his dad..I am more afraid of being a real Christian than an atheist...an atheist will be spared by the state...a real Christian will not be shown mercy by the state...It is easy to go with the flow and deny God in a savage world.
That's strange since our president is always a Christian, unless you aren't American I guess. But I'm sorry, I'm sorry to anyone who feels pressured to deny who they are because they fear others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism