U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2012, 12:11 AM
Status: "Turn off the news, get healthy!" (set 2 days ago)
 
5,176 posts, read 2,438,843 times
Reputation: 3763
Default Anyone afraid to be atheist?

Fox News Viewers Want to Kill Atheists

Lately I've been afraid to mention it due to some comments I've gotten at work which have disturbed me. "You're a lost cause", "atheists are the devils mouth" that kind of thing. I guess we are seen as the work of the underworld. Anyone afraid to tell people you don't believe? Anyone notice a heated climate lately?
I'm seriously thinking of going into hiding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2012, 12:17 AM
 
Location: Sitting on a bar stool. Guinness in hand.
2,661 posts, read 3,250,022 times
Reputation: 1072
I'm Ok where I'm at. But I've basically lived within the Bos-Wash corridor for most of my life. Never been a problem in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 01:54 AM
 
Location: Metromess
11,806 posts, read 13,608,911 times
Reputation: 4747
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Fox News Viewers Want to Kill Atheists

Lately I've been afraid to mention it due to some comments I've gotten at work which have disturbed me. "You're a lost cause", "atheists are the devils mouth" that kind of thing. I guess we are seen as the work of the underworld. Anyone afraid to tell people you don't believe? Anyone notice a heated climate lately?
I'm seriously thinking of going into hiding.
You have to be selective about who you express your atheism to. Certain people I would never express it to because they would be horrified and I basically like them, but all of my close friends know. They wouldn't be close friends if they couldn't accept it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 04:58 AM
 
Location: Greenbelt, MD
5,443 posts, read 1,902,721 times
Reputation: 19797
That's a very distrubing article but it's not a surprise.

In my experience through life these "sincere, devout Christians" were some of the worst people I have ever dealt with. Obviously they are not all like that but being one does not increase your chances of being a good person.

The only place to be careful about coming out is where you work, especially regarding the ones that go to church as they have a way to get your opinion of religion and god belief out of you. I do not like to lie so regardless on who asks I always tell the truth when asked. I never bring it up otherwise. I have been discrininated against by devoutly religious types in the workplace and it has caused problems. However, if it's a problem in your circle of friends or family you have options to do something about it, like disowning them and getting new acceptable friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 05:11 AM
 
Location: Lower east side of Toronto
10,579 posts, read 4,577,934 times
Reputation: 8954
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Fox News Viewers Want to Kill Atheists

Lately I've been afraid to mention it due to some comments I've gotten at work which have disturbed me. "You're a lost cause", "atheists are the devils mouth" that kind of thing. I guess we are seen as the work of the underworld. Anyone afraid to tell people you don't believe? Anyone notice a heated climate lately?
I'm seriously thinking of going into hiding.

IF you believe...keep your mouth shut. IF you are a non-believer...keep your mouth shut..either way you will be persecuted.

What is the point of telling anyone either way...unless you have an agenda to convert...........................the guy at the corner store asked me if I believed in God...I said yes and he said DON T..................BOTH atheists and believers have to hope of bringing people over to their way of thinking...BOTH of these things are religions... best kept private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Status: "Turn off the news, get healthy!" (set 2 days ago)
 
5,176 posts, read 2,438,843 times
Reputation: 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
That's a very distrubing article but it's not a surprise.

In my experience through life these "sincere, devout Christians" were some of the worst people I have ever dealt with. Obviously they are not all like that but being one does not increase your chances of being a good person.

The only place to be careful about coming out is where you work, especially regarding the ones that go to church as they have a way to get your opinion of religion and god belief out of you. I do not like to lie so regardless on who asks I always tell the truth when asked. I never bring it up otherwise. I have been discrininated against by devoutly religious types in the workplace and it has caused problems. However, if it's a problem in your circle of friends or family you have options to do something about it, like disowning them and getting new acceptable friends.
Yes, work is where I'm having the issue. I told one person and now they all know. Come to find out almost everyone there is christian including my boss. I don't think I'll have the job every long. I never say anything like I do on here. Never. I know better than that but I didn't realize that I should have just lied and said I went to church instead of telling them I didn't believe in God. To late now, some of them are pretty hard core and I'm the anti christ.

Maybe I'll just look for a new job while I can slip out, I'm getting worried I'll be fired depending on how devout the boss is. I will just avoid all religious questions at the new one and pretend to go to some make believe church. It's just hard to switch jobs in this economy.

Thanks for the advice, I should have asked before I said anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Status: "Turn off the news, get healthy!" (set 2 days ago)
 
5,176 posts, read 2,438,843 times
Reputation: 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
IF you believe...keep your mouth shut. IF you are a non-believer...keep your mouth shut..either way you will be persecuted.

What is the point of telling anyone either way...unless you have an agenda to convert...........................the guy at the corner store asked me if I believed in God...I said yes and he said DON T..................BOTH atheists and believers have to hope of bringing people over to their way of thinking...BOTH of these things are religions... best kept private.
I wasn't trying to de convert. That's silly. My co worker just asked where I went to church. I said I don't. She said I could go with her, I said, well, I don't believe in God. I honestly didn't think of it until it came out. She looked odd and said, oh, I see. Now things are different at work and I get little comments in the break room.
How is atheism a religion anyway, I don't understand your answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 08:57 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 6,055,919 times
Reputation: 58115
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Fox News Viewers Want to Kill Atheists

Lately I've been afraid to mention it due to some comments I've gotten at work which have disturbed me. "You're a lost cause", "atheists are the devils mouth" that kind of thing. I guess we are seen as the work of the underworld. Anyone afraid to tell people you don't believe? Anyone notice a heated climate lately?
I'm seriously thinking of going into hiding.
Yes I'm afraid to admit that I'm agnostic to anyone, it would be a very hostile environment around here if I did. I don't know of any other atheists/agnostics in real life, just me, and so C-D is the only place I have that is safe and anonymous to talk about it.

I know for a fact that in the South where I live that people equate atheism with satanism, they think we're straight from the devil. I used to believe the same thing as a Christian. Being a fundamentalist is a way of life around here and they have some pretty crazy ideas so I hear ya when you say you're going to go into hiding......it's scary out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Status: "Turn off the news, get healthy!" (set 2 days ago)
 
5,176 posts, read 2,438,843 times
Reputation: 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
I'm Ok where I'm at. But I've basically lived within the Bos-Wash corridor for most of my life. Never been a problem in general.
That's nice, you're lucky. Fox news rules my town. It's like the political bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 12:17 PM
 
4,778 posts, read 2,811,886 times
Reputation: 2606
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
That's a very distrubing article but it's not a surprise.

In my experience through life these "sincere, devout Christians" were some of the worst people I have ever dealt with. Obviously they are not all like that but being one does not increase your chances of being a good person.

The only place to be careful about coming out is where you work, especially regarding the ones that go to church as they have a way to get your opinion of religion and god belief out of you. I do not like to lie so regardless on who asks I always tell the truth when asked. I never bring it up otherwise. I have been discrininated against by devoutly religious types in the workplace and it has caused problems. However, if it's a problem in your circle of friends or family you have options to do something about it, like disowning them and getting new acceptable friends.
ive been discriminated against in the workplace despite the fact that im athiest and so was the other person , thing is , they knew i was raised as a catholic , they saw me as an athiest catholic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top