U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 AM

876 posts, read 901,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
That ancient pre-Sumerian civilization was actually discovered, I'm always surprised by how poorly information about this has diffused among the general population, but good on you for intuiting this without even knowing! A site called Gobekli Tepe in Eastern Turkey was uncovered where a 12 thousand year old masonry temple was discovered covered in fairly sophisticated stone statues and bas reliefs. The culture that built it was apparently pre-agrarian, overturning the idea that agriculture lead to civilized, sedentary towns. It seems that there's a good chance that in the middle east the towns and temples came first, and agriculture followed afterwards. It should be noted, however, that while the apparently hunter gatherer society that constructed the temple clearly had skilled artisans who'd had enough time to develop and master a tradition of engineering and stone carving, the techniques used were still not more advanced than those of (much) later Sumeria. Likely, something of this much older culture and it's heritage survived to influence Sumerian ways of doing things.

Anyhow, I have degrees in the field of human biology and can attest to the idea that there doesn't appear to have been any tampering with our DNA, it very consistently follows the evolutionary path and is filled with regional idiosyncracies, transposons, and other silly artifacts that don't suggest the genome was intelligently designed. I'd believe it if there was sufficient evidence, but I'd take convincing. Indeed, it does seem like it'd be easier to prove than a deity, but that's not really saying a whole lot.
I was JUST going to post this. Its been a long dream to visit the site. Surprised so few people know about this. I was overwhelmed with excitement upon discovering it predated Stonehenge by almost 6000 years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 182 times
if we were generated by Others, those Others were made by god perhaps( or by something above)

Old 07-08-2012, 09:19 AM

275 posts, read 111,023 times
No outside or supernatural forces are needed; everything we know of in the universe(including human beings) can be explained by simple natural causes. No miracles, no unmoved movers, no grandiose explanations are needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism