U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 12:10 PM

12,376 posts, read 6,561,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I go to the super market. There is a shelf with cans on it that says "Baked Beans" I belive that it is true, because everytime I buy a can of beans, it has beans in it. This is faith in something that has been proven again and again.
The technical term for this would be inductive reasoning, not faith, but the rest of your point stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 12:26 PM

6,983 posts, read 16,673,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
The technical term for this would be inductive reasoning, not faith, but the rest of your point stands.
Interesting! I confess that I had to look up "inductive reasoning" as I had never heard the term used in context.

Reasoning: it was a learning experience for me to see all the different kinds of "reasoning." But there was little or nothing to compare Reason and Faith.

I think that there are people that could have "Faith" in just about anything. I personally feel, and I am sure that there are many others that think the same way, that for Faith to be valid, there has to be some sort of Reasoning behind it. Just Because...... is not enough.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:55 PM

8,537 posts, read 4,021,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
This statement is false.

Outside of your bible, do you have any verifiable facts as to the truth of your statement?

Old 04-15-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
If God "does not exist" then how can you describe Him as murderous?
And if he does exist, how can you worship this brutal ba$tard?

Old 04-15-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Murder is defined as the unlawful killing of a human being.

I think you need to come up with a different term.
All of the wars, disease and death in natural disasters is lawful? You have a psychopath you believe in. Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot and Saddam Huessein were more merciful that this alleged benevolent idol you worship.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:22 PM

8,146 posts, read 3,970,530 times
exactly Arjay51, they never give an answer for that. This deity is so vengeful and into causing disasters for people who mind their own business and if you don't believe in him enough and honor and praise and obey him properly, watch out! Then he really has some stuff in store for you! Hitler and so on weren't even close on their worst day. Yet he loves you!!

Old 04-15-2012, 02:42 PM

6,983 posts, read 16,673,722 times
Remember that these stories of a murderous god are stories that were handed down for centuries before they were written down in a bible. Are they folk lore? Absolute 100% Truthful?

but you have to wonder a bit. Would a real loving god cause the death of a father with a little baby? Leaving the mother all alone to raise the babe? Ah, you say!! It's just his way of testing the faith of the mother! And making the baby strong enough to face the trials of life.

Would a loving god cause a birth defect that causes the person pain throughout most of life? Oh yes! It's just his way of testing the faithful. Again, it's supposed to make that person strong.

I got news for god. Some of his plans backfire.

People come to these forums for all sorts of reasons. Usually it's because they don't have anything to do, and they hate to just sit in front of the TV. This religion forum is a lot more interesting, if you are interested in how the mind works, than the forums on Fashion, Exercise, Sports or whatever. It's interesting to see how someone can read something into words from a scripture reference.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:56 PM

8,146 posts, read 3,970,530 times
it's very entertaining too at times, I visit here while watching TV

Old 04-16-2012, 02:10 AM

10,228 posts, read 5,181,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
it's very entertaining too at times, I visit here while watching TV
Me too!

Old 04-16-2012, 12:47 PM

6,115 posts, read 2,310,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
exactly Arjay51, they never give an answer for that. This deity is so vengeful and into causing disasters for people who mind their own business and if you don't believe in him enough and honor and praise and obey him properly, watch out! Then he really has some stuff in store for you! Hitler and so on weren't even close on their worst day. Yet he loves you!!
LOL

I'd rep you again if I could. Great post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism