U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:57 AM

1,438 posts, read 981,191 times

Advertisements

What do you have faith in? Obviously you have faith that God doesn't exist, but do you have faith in anything positive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 11:00 AM

14,920 posts, read 11,180,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
What do you have faith in? Obviously you have faith that God doesn't exist, but do you have faith in anything positive?
I'm an atheist precisely because I find the concept of faith - believing in something without evidence or proof - absurd.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:01 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,666,018 times
Quote:
I don't have faith that God does not exist any more than I have faith that Zeus, bigfoot, leprechauns and the Minotaur do not exist.

I merely observe there is no compelling evidence that they do exist.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:02 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,666,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I'm an atheist precisely because I find the concept of faith - believing in something without evidence or proof - absurd.
"Faith is believing something you know ain't true."
--Mark Twain

Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 AM

24,889 posts, read 21,087,682 times
Quote:
I believe there was a creator, but that creator (whatever it was), plays no direct roll in our lives or events on this planet.

I have faith in humans, and my species. While that isn't always well founded faith, its a hell of a lot more logical then believing in a all mighty space God that looks out for my well being, while allowing millions to starve and die every year, or face horrific diseases that aren't caused by man, or die from tornadoes, or get swallowed by the sea for no fault of their own.

14,920 posts, read 11,180,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
"Faith is believing something you know ain't true."
--Mark Twain

Archie Bunker on Faith - YouTube

8,323 posts, read 13,512,146 times
Quote:
Do you have faith in Zeus or Hera or Isis?

No?

Okay, then.

Same thing.

The only thing I have faith in, is... well, nothing. While that may sound bleak to you, I prefer to live my life with facts rather than blind faith. It's that whole logic thing. Heck, I feel sorry for everyone who requires faith to make it through their short lives.

2,093 posts, read 3,940,230 times
Quote:

As a person who is striving to be a compassionate Christian, I don't know if that is the kind of question Christians should be asking atheists. I've been taught to try to establish bridges to God by showing good examples taught by Jesus in front of my atheist friends.

Christianity has been receiving black eyes by political parties and select group who think they own franchise to the religion.

I'm going to pray that these wingnuts stay far, far away from my friends who are interested in learning more about Christianity.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:05 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,440,745 times
I try to believe in what is and not in what I think is or should be.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:06 AM

2,447 posts, read 2,682,676 times
I have faith that society will come to their senses and stop doing stupid stuff for religion.

What do you think atheists do all day? Cry in the closet because we're depressed we're going to die? We live the same lives as you, we just don't include god and religion. It's very simple.

I pay taxes, go to work, come home and drink a beer, do laundry, and eat. We both do all of these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism