Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:56 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
In my opinion the Bible was the go to scholarly book of the Bronze age. Science as we know it did not yet exist so if anyone wanted to know anything about the known universe that was the go to book. Today that is no longer the case. We have science and we have more access to knowledge through our little I phone then they could even dream about. So for us the Bible is nothing more then a history book about how people lived during the Bronze age.
Exactly. Science has completely replaced religion as the real search for objective knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
and the more we're open to science, the more answers we'll get to the many questions. look how far we've come since the 1900's...I remember my grandmother throwing holy water into the corners of the house when there was a thunderstorm, thinking god would save us from all that evil coming out of the sky...

Old 04-25-2012, 03:56 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,466 times
These 10 questions aren't very good and are largely strawmen. #10 made me laugh the most because the author cannot separate the idea of life on other planets (highly plausible) with aliens visiting Earth (highly implausible).

Old 04-25-2012, 04:36 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Exactly. Science has completely replaced religion as the real search for objective knowledge.

That, also, explains why church's were the center of towns and the pride and joy of society in the Bronze age where as today it is universities.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:09 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Just sharing some interesting links.
God is Imaginary - 50 simple proofs
Number 12, "See the Magic" caught my attention, I often notice many theist not believing in magic yet believing in magic at the same time.

10 questions atheists must answer. An interesting yet entertaining answer to the post above that generated some steam.
10 Questions Every Intelligent Atheist Must Answer « An Exercise in Futility
(only 2 of the 10 brought me to thought. Life on other planets and what atheist bring to humanity) maybe I can get some insight from fellow atheists on here about their belief or no belief on life elsewhere and if that means you're agnostic not atheist.
The responder claims not to be Christian but I find that hard to be true, his emotions show a bit to my dismay. Still some interesting questions posed.

Let me know which puzzles you most or intrigues you the most about either list. Or, even if it all bores you to tears.
Not "believing" in something that can't be seen, heard, or otherwise proven is not "belief." It is a recognition of reality, as humans know it. "Believing" in something that can't be proven is "belief."

That's like saying someone "believes" in gravity. One doesn't believe in gravity. One acknowledges that gravity exists, since it can be proven to exist, even though we can't see it. By contrast, one doesn't "believe" that Santa Clause doesn't exist. Since there is no proof of any kind that Santa Claus exists, one acknowledges that Santa Clause doesn't exist, in accordance with all the laws of the universe and reality as humans know it.

Believe or not, it's up to the individual. To each his own. As long as a person doesn't try to force others to live or believe in his or her belief system (like some governments where a religion is mixed with the civil government), it's fine. As long as others who adhere to reality don't force others not to practice any belief system they have (within the confines of the law), it's fine.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:16 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
When I was young I liked to imagine that I didn't have an imaginary friend.
My imaginary girlfriend stopped talking to me, then she ran off with my imaginary friend.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:39 AM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Just sharing some interesting links.
God is Imaginary - 50 simple proofs
Number 12, "See the Magic" caught my attention, I often notice many theist not believing in magic yet believing in magic at the same time.

10 questions atheists must answer. An interesting yet entertaining answer to the post above that generated some steam.
10 Questions Every Intelligent Atheist Must Answer « An Exercise in Futility
(only 2 of the 10 brought me to thought. Life on other planets and what atheist bring to humanity) maybe I can get some insight from fellow atheists on here about their belief or no belief on life elsewhere and if that means you're agnostic not atheist.
The responder claims not to be Christian but I find that hard to be true, his emotions show a bit to my dismay. Still some interesting questions posed.

Let me know which puzzles you most or intrigues you the most about either list. Or, even if it all bores you to tears.
Is it just me. It won't let me open the second site.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:03 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Is it just me. It won't let me open the second site.
Well, sometime since the link was shared in 2012, the blog writer has made their site private. Not much you can do other than be invited.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:26 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
newborn children and people who never introduced to religion when they were children don't believe in gods. atheism is the default.
Not sure what’s your qualification and authority to make this claim but .....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/rel...ic-claims.html

Old 01-01-2019, 04:26 AM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Not sure what’s your qualification and authority to make this claim but .....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/rel...ic-claims.html
So little children have a concept of god...but can't at all control their bodily functions or wipe themselves.

What a crock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism