Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 02:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
10 questions atheists must answer.
as an atheist i dont have to answer any questions,i dont care..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 08:02 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,069 times
Wink Funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
We raise these points all the time, but its fair enough to have them all in place. Believers of course have plenty of counter - arguments, though I do happen to think that they are not very good and rely a lot on denial of any problems, denial that science knows anything and denial of anything other than GodFaith, really.
It's what the soul needs, of course. Now, as for jambo101's note:

"as an atheist i dont have to answer any questions, i dont care.."

Ahhh, but in today's New Age Society, with our new legislated influence in the public schools system, but you DO need to answer, jambo!

(A brief morals play based on true fantasies of the Christian Dream Team...)

Else, well... it's "Down to zhah zellars mit you zhen, heathen! Ve-haff vays uff may-king you believe. Zah Führer.. Achh!... I mean... Gawdt!, is our Godt, und he vill soon be your Gawdt!

Sieg Gawdt!

Undo zoh! Relax undt vee vil change your mindt, yah?? Ve vill improvf your zhinking, you vil zoon see! Now zhen: Franz? Zha electrodes, bitte? Yah; zhose really BIG ones! Our Godt has his vahys, yeah?"

Old 04-23-2012, 03:01 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,680,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
It's what the soul needs, of course. Now, as for jambo101's note:

"as an atheist i dont have to answer any questions, i dont care.."

Ahhh, but in today's New Age Society, with our new legislated influence in the public schools system, but you DO need to answer, jambo!

(A brief morals play based on true fantasies of the Christian Dream Team...)

Else, well... it's "Down to zhah zellars mit you zhen, heathen! Ve-haff vays uff may-king you believe. Zah Führer.. Achh!... I mean... Gawdt!, is our Godt, und he vill soon be your Gawdt!

Sieg Gawdt!

Undo zoh! Relax undt vee vil change your mindt, yah?? Ve vill improvf your zhinking, you vil zoon see! Now zhen: Franz? Zha electrodes, bitte? Yah; zhose really BIG ones! Our Godt has his vahys, yeah?"
Those ten questions are just providing a gap for God argument.

"If you can’t answer these questions, I think my point is illustrated. And please don’t dwell on the fact that even if you don’t know the answers, the answers exist. Because if you could answer these questions you would know enough to know how little we actually know about these topics."

This is the falsity of the whole argument 'If you can't explain everything, you must admit that you know nothing. Therefore God is the only answer'. When you see the flimsiness and logical illegitimacy of this argument, the 'The questions' post is seen as worthless as any kind of worthwhile argument.

Even if we give some credit to the flavour of the Month argument for God 'Human consciousness is something beyond all other animal consciousness' (Question expecting the answer - 'Coo -it could be God dunnit'.) that is only one possible theory out of two others - evolution produced it, nevertheless and 'alien scientists dunnit'. And the response 'that's ridiculous - there's nothing to support the 'aliens' theory' applies equally to the god -hypothesis. That is, unless one has already been brainwashed into Belief.

No, even passing over the pretty much expected ignoring of all the evidence which suggests that human consciousness in nothing to do with God - though that is a slightly different argument (1) such an argument is at best pointing up some things as yet unexplained, and throwing in one 'you can't explain this can you - well then I must be right' argument after another is the argument method of the cultist. The use - or misuse - of unexplained questions as a way of hinting that science doesn't know everything (rean doesn't know anything, really' is just a trick to try to make room for unscientific speculations without much supportive evidence. The argument - style common to cultists and theists alike.

(1) in that the absence of any consciousness element indicating a soul (aka God - spirit- input) in people whose brains have stopped working suggests that the 'only God can explain human consciousness' argument implies a Deist - god -at least in respect of human consciousness. This doesn't fit in with the belief that God is actually here intervening in human life? When one sees that point (together with hurricanes and the like) it actually argues against the god - theory.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:41 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,210,758 times
I read the link to the top 10 but one thing that he fails in is that science/evolution is taken on faith. It is not.

One can research and get to the actual peer reviewed papers. That is the beauty of science.

Theism however has no such mechanism of peer review. With the multiplicity of doctrines and interpretations, you are pretty free to say anything you want. Of course when discussing fiction, there are no real rules are there?

Old 04-23-2012, 10:50 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,596,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
as an atheist i dont have to answer any questions,i dont care..
Ha, my favorite answer so far!!

Old 04-23-2012, 05:51 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,451,005 times
Those questions are lame in my opinion. I will say this. On a scale of 1-10 (1 being absolutely sure there is a god and 10 being absolutely sure there is no god) I think its impossible to be a 1 or a 10. I am technically agnostic and on the scale I would be a 9.5.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:18 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,706,546 times
You wanna know how I know there isn't a God? Because the bible tells me so!

Old 04-25-2012, 04:56 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,343 times
actually you're right buster, studying the bible has convinced me that it's all stories..part of my realisation that there are no deities came from reading that book...

Old 04-25-2012, 10:18 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,451,005 times
In my opinion the Bible was the go to scholarly book of the Bronze age. Science as we know it did not yet exist so if anyone wanted to know anything about the known universe that was the go to book. Today that is no longer the case. We have science and we have more access to knowledge through our little I phone then they could even dream about. So for us the Bible is nothing more then a history book about how people lived during the Bronze age.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:53 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,650 times
I think that the "50 proofs" link explains very well why I am not Christian nor an adherent of any other organized religion. The "10 questions" link also explains my continuing agnosticism, though I actually have other reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism