Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 04:48 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,063 times

Advertisements

It's high time that we get some more atheist women to get in the forefront and start writing books and getting more vocal. We have had Hitchens,Dawkins,Harris and Dennett among other men in the forefront of the media but really only Ayaan Hirsi Ali with her book "Infidel" has been the sole woman to fit that description. Julia Sweeney of SNL fame also but not really in the media much.

I used to go to a local atheist meetup through meetup.com and wished that there were more atheist women just to talk to and be encouraged that they are as vocal as the men even at the local level.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 07:27 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
There are many, one of the mods for one. There are also some that no longer have the privilege of voicing their views on CD, for the simple reason as many women do, they tell it like it is and have been 'moderated' for that.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
There are some, but they are not as well known as Dawkins and Hitchens.

Blag Hag: A large list of awesome female atheists

Try this book:
Natalie Angier: The Canon: Synopsis

Old 04-27-2012, 07:54 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
I would certainly like to see some prominent female atheists writing and speaking.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:23 PM

120 posts, read 124,528 times
It's slowly happening. Ophelia Benson, Greta Christina, Cristina Rad, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Jennifer McCreight, Susan Blackmore, any of the Skepchicks, Jennifer Michael Hecht, Susan Jacoby, Miranda Celeste Hale...

Old 04-29-2012, 01:22 AM

18,721 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Hey, I'm as loud as I can be.
The original post reminds me that atheist meet-ups are a good place to meet guys.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:07 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Hey, I'm as loud as I can be.
The original post reminds me that atheist meet-ups are a good place to meet guys.
And what kinda "meet-ups" are these? I have never seen any social gatherings being offered anywhere. I guess most if there is something really like that, would be within some other group endeavors . I always thought atheist beleif was more a private thing. Same seems to go with Liberal thinking people, realest. Seems all my life I have sounded by people who had opposing views in all the social,hobby, groups I have been apart of.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
And what kinda "meet-ups" are these? I have never seen any social gatherings being offered anywhere. I guess most if there is something really like that, would be within some other group endeavors . I always thought atheist beleif was more a private thing. Same seems to go with Liberal thinking people, realest. Seems all my life I have sounded by people who had opposing views in all the social,hobby, groups I have been apart of.
I must confess that there are a lot of posters here I thought were male when they turned out to be female and vice versa - I remember I caused a mild stir when the rumour went around that I was a teenage chick .

It's early days - the meetups and assemblies will happen, but the one meetup I attended was a disappointment, rather. Apart from atheism, we had nothing much in common and we actually didn't WANT to talk about atheism.

It really is true - without theism, there is no need for atheism. No fear of it becoming a religion. So we need to think what meetups and assemblies have to be about. With theists we have plenty to talk about but between ourselves? It is not about atheism as such, but about what we do about it.

And we really need huge input from the ladies as they know best the social problems that we'd have to deal with. The notorious 'Lift' event was a big warning light. Atheism is going to come under critical, indeed, harsh, scrutiny and any scandals are going to be pilloried with calls for us to be globally banned, hunted down, shot, drowned and burned at the stake twice as loud as anything Papism has had thrown at it.

So far we have a reasonably clean sheet. We are going to be under pressure since a lot of the atheist worldview tolerance will certainly be seen as 'sinful' by the faithful.

So we need the ladies - millions of them - saying what they want out of life so no -one can say that we goddless bastards are trying to lead them down the paths of immorality.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:40 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times
I never thought you were a teenage girl, Arequipa!

Old 04-29-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I never thought you were a teenage girl, Arequipa!
One can trust an atheist lady to sense a crusty old curmugeon's true nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism