U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 04-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Status: "Can't wait for 2015!" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Midcoast Maine
4,917 posts, read 7,534,246 times
Reputation: 3212

Advertisements

Very interesting, but not surprising:

Most and Least Religious States in America

Survey: Maine ranked 'most peaceful' state; Louisiana last
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2012, 09:25 AM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 14,063,203 times
Reputation: 6468
Hm I think Utah is a pretty big exception as it's fifth on the Peace Index and second highest on most religious list you linked to. Also the following states in the top ten on the peace-index aren't among the least religious

North Dakota at 6
Iowa at 10

While Nevada is among the most irreligious states and in the bottom ten for peace.

There might be a correlation, but it's clearly not exact as this title might imply.

So says your friendly Theist Curmudgeon
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Status: "Can't wait for 2015!" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Midcoast Maine
4,917 posts, read 7,534,246 times
Reputation: 3212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Hm I think Utah is a pretty big exception as it's fifth on the Peace Index and second highest on most religious list you linked to. Also the following states in the top ten on the peace-index aren't among the least religious

North Dakota at 6
Iowa at 10

While Nevada is among the most irreligious states and in the bottom ten for peace.

There might be a correlation, but it's clearly not exact as this title might imply.

So says your friendly Theist Curmudgeon
True. I just find it ironic that the 3 most peaceful states are also the 3 least religious (VT, NH, and ME). Thanks for being a friendly curmudgeon!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 05:03 PM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
3,938 posts, read 1,623,165 times
Reputation: 656
Peace is a state of mind, the religious could be peaceful if they wanted to be.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Sitting on a bar stool. Guinness in hand.
2,800 posts, read 3,424,174 times
Reputation: 1173
While not an exact correlation, me thinks that the amount of population in each state (not density of population) may play a partial role in how peaceful a state may be over all.

Here's some numbers of the ranking of total population per state.

49. Vermont
43. Rhode Island
42. New Hampshire
21. Minnesota
34. Utah
48. North Dakota
13. Washington
40. Hawaii
43. Rhode Island
30. Iowa


31. Mississippi
24. South Carolina
32. Arkansas
2. Texas
18. Missouri
16. Arizona
4. Florida
35. Nevada
17. Tennessee
25. Louisiana.

Granted there are a lot of other reasons why a state overall is peaceful or not. But in my mind being able to escape being around (all) people definitely makes life more peaceful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Status: "Status edited!" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
4,665 posts, read 3,404,757 times
Reputation: 2970
North Korea is not a very peaceful place to live.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,115 posts, read 1,009,256 times
Reputation: 1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
North Korea is not a very peaceful place to live.
But their leader is revered as a God.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 08:33 PM
 
Location: West Egg
2,160 posts, read 802,510 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
While not an exact correlation, me thinks that the amount of population in each state (not density of population) may play a partial role in how peaceful a state may be over all.

Here's some numbers of the ranking of total population per state.

49. Vermont
43. Rhode Island
42. New Hampshire
21. Minnesota
34. Utah
48. North Dakota
13. Washington
40. Hawaii
43. Rhode Island
30. Iowa


31. Mississippi
24. South Carolina
32. Arkansas
2. Texas
18. Missouri
16. Arizona
4. Florida
35. Nevada
17. Tennessee
25. Louisiana.

Granted there are a lot of other reasons why a state overall is peaceful or not. But in my mind being able to escape being around (all) people definitely makes life more peaceful.

List of U.S. states and territories by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well, that's a problem -- the population density governs the proximity of others. After all, Connecticut is 29th in population by 4th in population density. The fact that Oklahoma has slightly more people than Connecticut is irrelevant, because it has 1/13th the population density.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Sitting on a bar stool. Guinness in hand.
2,800 posts, read 3,424,174 times
Reputation: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Well, that's a problem -- the population density governs the proximity of others. After all, Connecticut is 29th in population by 4th in population density. The fact that Oklahoma has slightly more people than Connecticut is irrelevant, because it has 1/13th the population density.
Fair enough.

I'm just thinking that shear population would be a much bigger factor in peacefulness of a state than say whether a state is more or less religious.

But your point is taken.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 10:59 PM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 14,063,203 times
Reputation: 6468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
North Korea is not a very peaceful place to live.
If we want to go by nation it is true the nations highest in the "Global Peace Index" are among the most irreligious. (Denmark, Japan, Czech Republic, etc) And that some of the most religious are among the least peaceful. (Somalia, Afghanistan, DR of Congo, Pakistan, Sudan)

Rankings & Results Vision of Humanity
Religiosity Highest in World's Poorest Nations

Although again it doesn't work exact. Russia is really a pretty irreligious nation, but they place it among the least peaceful. Malawi is the fourth most religious of nations Gallup studied and although not listed as exceptionally peaceful it's placed at 39 on the peace index, which puts it above Italy or the US. Qatar is listed as 12th most peaceful, above Sweden, and is placed by Gallup as one of the world's most religious nations. Belarus and Russia look to be the least peaceful of least religious nations. Odds and ends: Costa Rica is above France and Poland above Britain on their peace index.

Granted I've seen questions about the validity of the Peace-Index and Gallup's religiosity index is missing a few nations on the GPI. It does look like the most religious nations tend to be poorer and poorer nations tend to be less peaceful. But there are exceptions to all that.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top