Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:32 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times

Advertisements

Got a brother in law who became a hard core Christian fundie..His mother is a poor old dying lady..He does not give her the time of day because she has not accepted Jesus as her personal savior. He did fly in for a funeral and did slide mum a hundred bucks before he returned to his family in another province- a family that was a replacement for the two daughter he turned his back on - Yep- His form of Christianity is right up there with atheism...in his case- give me an atheist...at least atheist heathen are slightly more honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 08:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Here's a link to the actual study abstract

My Brother

Old 05-03-2012, 08:58 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Atheists are so full of compassion that they embrace Christians with deep love.
Just think of it as the love surgeons show for their patient as they try to remove an invasive cancer...

Old 05-03-2012, 09:00 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Atheists are so full of compassion that they embrace Christians with deep love.
If only there was a way to just get them to question the fantasy view of reality they have, for that is the beginning of the process to free one's mind from the silly fantasies that cause them to cling so desperately to their bronze age ignorance.

Only the afflicted have the power to accomplish this, and of course many have had it drilled into them that to question and challenge the absurdities is a sin, so they are powerless to overcome what is in reality brainwashing.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:28 AM

48 posts, read 46,214 times
The generosity of an Atheist is driven by compassion, with no strings attached, whereas the promise of Eternal Glory in Paradise makes some people do things they have no other motivation to do. I'm off to collect some "Glory Tickets".

Before you nail me to the cross, I said SOME ! There's generous people on both sides of the fence.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:03 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Here's a link to the actual study abstract

My Brother
thanks nana. i think there is a link to the full text pdf within your link. but im thinking... what if less generous atheists refused to participate in the study?

Old 05-05-2012, 02:47 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's not an accurate statement, Cat. The LDS Church's Humanitarian efforts extend worldwide, benefitting people of all religions, races, and cultures. For example, following the December, 2004 tsunami in Indonesia, the Church sent a lot of food, clothing, and medical supplies to the affected area. After doing so, we asked what more we could do and were told that the survivors were really struggling spiritually. Most of them were Muslims, and they had lost all of their Qu'rans in the flooding. The LDS Church responded, not by shipping copies of the Bible or The Book of Mormon, but instead thousands of copies of the Qu'ran.

Members of the Church may contribute to the LDS Philanthropies, which are currently receiving donations for: 100% of all funds donated go to the charity specified, and hardly any of the beneficiaries are members of the Church -- nor are they expected to listen to the missionaries in order to receive the goods or services.

Representatives from the Department of Defense recently visited the LDS Church's "Bishop's Storehouse" facility to learn how the secrets of the Church’s almost military efficiency and strategy in distributing goods to those affected by natural disaster. What they learned was that, in the case of Hurricane Katrina, for example, the Church had positioned fully loaded trucks in a huge semi-circle stretching from South Carolina to Texas. No one knew for sure how the storm was going to progress, so this was exceptionally wise advance planning. Once the hurricane actually hit land, drivers were dispatched to New Orleans with their goods, which included fuel to power rescue vehicles and chain saws to remove tree limbs. No one who benefitted from his help was required to become a Mormon or even to listen to Mormon missionaries. The Church saw a need and filled it.
Quote:
LDS theology states that in order to make it to the highest kingdom of heaven, you must pay a full and honest tithe.
This statement is not bashing, so stay off the little triangle symbol in your desperation to silence the truth, truth you find so uncomfortable you make every effort to silence and sequester the truth.

This is what the mormon doctrine mandates, and the truth is not religion bashing, it is the dirtiest word that most theists detest, TRUTH

Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by june 7th; 05-05-2012 at 04:39 PM..

Old 05-05-2012, 04:35 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Quote:
LDS theology states that in order to make it to the highest kingdom of heaven, you must pay a full and honest tithe.
Asheville,

Although they are supposed to pay their tithes, they don't have to contribute to the humanitarian fund. In LDS Churches, Mormons make their contributions by filling out a donation slip. On the donation slip, there are separate funds to choose from. One could specify, they want to donate $1,000 to tithing; $100 to fast offerings; and $100 to the humanitarian fund. There are other categories as well. Basically, what I am saying is that not all of the humanitarian spending comes from a decision made by church headquarters. Some of it was specified by the individual member.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:45 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
This statement is not bashing, so stay off the little triangle symbol in your desperation to silence the truth, truth you find so uncomfortable you make every effort to silence and sequester the truth.
I believe the staff is entirely capable of spotting bashing without my pointing it out, Ashevile. I am not attempting to silence the truth. Rather, you are attempting to twist it. Mormons are expected to pay a full tithing in order to attain the greatest possible blessings in Heaven. That's a well-known fact, and one it would never occur to me to deny. The LDS Philanthropies have absolutely nothing to do with tithing. There is absolutely no pressure for members of the Church to contribute to this fund. Those who do, do out of concern for their fellow human beings. Period.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:43 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
wait I said Mormons do not help non-Mormons AS MUCH
I know firsthand, from distant Mormon relatives, and friends and aquaintences that Mormons Do provide for their flock...jobs, housing, clothing , food etc etc etc
They do offer humanitarian needs, but I bet if someone showed up homeless that was a Mormon they would be in a house and workinng next week, whereas if a total stranger showed up they may get a bag of groceries but probably not anything on the level within the flock.

I was told once point blank by a church of Christ pastor in Texas tht his congregation does not involves itself in helping anyone outside of the church membership "nor do we want to"

I am aware of many churches that solicit money for "missions" but that money (after admnistrative costs etc) goes to specific missions such as maybe building a church in south central america or something

I am aware that when I give money or groceries to the local food bank, those items go directly to screened individuals who have a need, regardelss of religious affiliation.
I prefer to donate that way. Although I do contribute moeny to a nearby church who provides food to the needy, knowing the money I give will go only to the procurement and preperation of said food. That particular program is open to anyone, not jsut "church members" and is funded heavily by non-theists like myself as well as other members of the community who probably, like me, never set foot inside there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism