U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 05-29-2012, 03:56 AM

5,662 posts, read 1,646,678 times
Default Richard Dawkins supports school Bible plan (UK)

Have a read of the article, it's an interesting idea.. I like it.

BBC News - Richard Dawkins supports school Bible plan

"Leading atheist Richard Dawkins says he supports the plan to put a Bible in every English school.
The privately funded distribution of King James Bibles began this month to mark its 400th anniversary.
Prof Dawkins, writing in the Observer, said: "It is not a moral book and young people need to learn that important fact because they are very frequently told the opposite"."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-29-2012, 05:10 AM
Status: "I'd procrastinate,too, but I can't be bothered." (set 25 days ago)

14,229 posts, read 6,008,893 times
As was remarked, it is unlikely that many will trouble to read read it, let alone research it - which is where one finds out how dreadfully flawed it is. In fact the preferred method of indoctrination is to pick a few instructive tales and use that to hang an evangelical lesson on. The person doing that doesn't even need their own Bible, let alone one for everyone else, so this can really do no harm and even some good.

I'd just suggest that, in the interests of fairness, the OTHER Holy Books are also placed in the libraries.

Unread 05-29-2012, 05:45 AM

5,662 posts, read 1,646,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
As was remarked, it is unlikely that many will trouble to read read it, let alone research it - which is where one finds out how dreadfully flawed it is. In fact the preferred method of indoctrination is to pick a few instructive tales and use that to hang an evangelical lesson on. The person doing that doesn't even need their own Bible, let alone one for everyone else, so this can really do no harm and even some good.

I'd just suggest that, in the interests of fairness, the OTHER Holy Books are also placed in the libraries.
I agree. At my daughters school for their Religious Education lessons they look at an article from the news and then compare passages and texts from different Holy Books in relation to the news story. They use the Bible, Qu'ran, Sruti & Smiriti, Tanakh, Tipitaka and The Guru Granth Sahib.

I think it's a great way for them to learn about how different religions compare and contrast. It enables the children to learn without being told that one is better than another and that none of them are necessarily right or wrong.

Unread 05-30-2012, 12:52 PM

114 posts, read 39,691 times
Oh man...

Baldrick, I owe you an apology.

I've become so cynical due to my time on the Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry forum (don't ask) that I honestly expected to come into this thread seeing an OP featuring quotemining and suggesting something like "is the atheist god Dawkins secretly a Christian?" or some such nonsense like that.

Please forgive me. It's what I've come to expect whenever I see the words "Dawkins" "supports", and a religious-related word like "bible" or "Christianity" or some such thing in the title of a new thread.

I am so sorry.

On topic... yeah, I agree with Dawkins, as well. People should be exposed to what's in the Bible without it being sugarcoated. And I'm sure there'll be a lot of "but that's the Old Testament!" It can never be stressed enough that the New Testament is just a hell of a lot more subtle about it, and only while Jesus is alive. Once he gets killed, the subtlety dies with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism