Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:51 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,661,437 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this has been posted before, but thought it's worth another read. Love this guy:

Ricky Gervais: Why I Don't Believe in a God - WSJ.com

Does God Exist? Ricky Gervais Takes Your Questions - Speakeasy - WSJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 05:48 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,907,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
I'm sure this has been posted before, but thought it's worth another read. Love this guy:

Some 75% of Americans are God-fearing Christians; 75% of prisoners are God-fearing Christians.
Some 10% of Americans are atheists; 0.2% of prisoners are atheists

I have frequently thought that the true believers are that way because they are more flawed than the rest of the population and sense that they require more guidance.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:05 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,548,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Some 75% of Americans are God-fearing Christians; 75% of prisoners are God-fearing Christians.

I have frequently thought that the true believers are that way because they are more flawed than the rest of the population and sense that they require more guidance.
I agree. We are evolving and not at the same time it seems to appear. lol

Old 11-30-2012, 10:36 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,076,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post

Yes, he does seem to be a happy, loving individual !!!

Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 PM

167 posts, read 178,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

What percentage of God-fearing Americans and prisoners are African American?

Old 12-04-2012, 07:31 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,977,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Theist View Post
What percentage of God-fearing Americans and prisoners are African American?
Are you soliciting information you do not have? Or are you trying to make some point? If the latter, should you not explain it in full rather than the hit and run implication post above?

What are you trying to say?

Old 12-04-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Are you soliciting information you do not have? Or are you trying to make some point? If the latter, should you not explain it in full rather than the hit and run implication post above?

What are you trying to say?
It was a suggestion to explore the facts. Most prisoners, most Americans, most African Americans are God-fearing. Most American prisoners are, unfortunately and wrongly, are African American.

Most prisoners in concentration Camps were Jews, Jehovah's Witnesses, God fearing. Most prisoners put to death in the Roman Colosseum were Christian.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:24 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,977,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Theist View Post
It was a suggestion to explore the facts. Most prisoners, most Americans, most African Americans are God-fearing. Most American prisoners are, unfortunately and wrongly, are African American.

Most prisoners in concentration Camps were Jews, Jehovah's Witnesses, God fearing. Most prisoners put to death in the Roman Colosseum were Christian.
You are avoiding the question.

What are we supposed to conclude as a consequence of your presenting that information?

In short.....so what?

Old 12-04-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You are avoiding the question.

What are we supposed to conclude as a consequence of your presenting that information?

In short.....so what?
Isn't it obvious? If most Americans and most African Americans are God-fearing while most prisoners in America are African Americans isn't it far more likely that most prisoners being God-fearing is a result of that rather than implied evolutionary superiority?

It's not a proposition from Vitkenstein.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:34 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,301,412 times
its about not taking responsibility for one's actions...believers put it all in a deity's or devil's hands...atheists take the blame ...When we do wrong, there's no devil to push it off on; therefor we tend to try to be better people, not because of some deity watching our every move and punishing or rewarding us later..But the biggest thing religious folks use is that this deity is allforgiving so you just say you're sorry and start over with your wrongdoings...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism