Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:34 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,233 times

Advertisements

Young Earth creationists say that the Earth is no more than 6000-8000 years old. Obviously, dating methods put it closer to 4.5 billion years old give or take. My question is this..

When you trace the geneology of Genesis starting with Adam and Eve and going through to Revelation, how many generations exactly are there of humans to come to the 6-8 thousand range? I don't see how literalists can get around this if the EXACT amount can be accounted for in the words. I also don't get how apologists make presuppositions, when there is no way of knowing what God meant if it's not spelled out exactly. If God meant that days as mentioned in the Bible were not 24 hour periods, then the apologist has to have a verse that says unequivocally without a doubt what a "day" is then according to God. It his Bible and Word after all.

When is God coming out with Bible version 2012 where all these things are put to rest and very precise explanations are given based on current knowledge. As always God is strangely silent, letting humans just fumble around. I'm an atheist and the Bible is one of the main reasons why I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 03:37 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
They are pretty much in denial. That was easy when very little was known (times of many things being unknown can also be refereed to as times of great ignorance)

Today many are working very very hard to remain as ignorant as possible and in complete denial, and they're pretty dang good at it.

Personally there is no way I can have any respect for or place any value in people that are so totally out of touch with knowledge and reality.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:23 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
That is kind of the key, many things in the bronze age were not known, so the mysteries of life had to be supplimented by superstition. The explanation was "because god does it" or something to that effect. If you believe tha Bible to be true and God's word, THEN This ignorance was even manifest in Jesus, who mistakenly blamed demon possession for certain seizure/mental disorders/. Case in point, I work in medicine and I can guarantee you beyond any shadow of a doubt that Demonic possession is not , I repeat NOT a medical or psychiatric or psychological cause, symptom or the origin of any disease. Demonsic possession, does not exist. Plain and simple. There is no such thing. But, Jesus did not know this. He mistakenly blamed certain conditions on demon possession, like every other bronze age individual.
What about the stories of Jesus curing leprosy? Bronze age man knew hansen's disease was contageous but they did not know how. If Jesus had been so divine, would he have not known about M laprea, after all if he was all knowing why did he not teach people about a prevention and possible control of this diseas? WHY? Well, because such medical knowledge did not exist in Bronze age times. Why did Jesus not teach people about eating a certain type of moldy bread or cheese that would have contained antibiotic properties? Oh because he did not know.
More and more I hear of Jesus and his supposed miracles, the more and more I realize how inadequet he really was, how he really knew nothing more than any other bronze age persomn, but his teachings may have been more personal and peaceful than others. '

We were having lunch and some kid asked his mom why some people have different colors of skin, and she says "because god made them that way"
LMAO My kid asked me that once and got a good description of racial evolution as influenced by environmental factors and natural selection.
But, I have a 9 year old son who does algebra, understands the big bang and watches shows like "how the universe was made" and loves learning. I would say that I am the one who gives the kids correct answers.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:40 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I'm an atheist and the Bible is one of the main reasons why I am.
I can't imagine why the bible would have anything to do with you being an Atheist.

If you believed in a god, then you could either find an organized religion that appealed to you or you could form your own religious beliefs.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:38 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I can't imagine why the bible would have anything to do with you being an Atheist.

If you believed in a god, then you could either find an organized religion that appealed to you or you could form your own religious beliefs.
People who actually read the Bible find it quite incredible that anyone could believe it.

Many of those who are atheists actually grew up in the church and have read and studied the Bible. Some have studied other religions as well.

Atheist Ministers Leading the Faithful - ABC News

Quote:
"The more I read the Bible, the more questions I had," Jack said. "The more things didn't make sense to me -- what it said -- and the more things didn't add up."
From Minister To Atheist: A Story Of Losing Faith : NPR

Quote:
MacBain, 44, was raised a conservative Southern Baptist. Her dad was a pastor and she felt the call of God when she was 6. She had questions, of course, about conflicts in the Bible, for example, or the role of women. She says she sometimes felt she was serving a taskmaster of a God, whose standards she never quite met.

For years, MacBain set her concerns aside. But when she became a United Methodist pastor nine years ago, she started asking sharper questions. She thought they'd make her faith stronger.

"In reality," she says, "as I worked through them, I found that religion had so many holes in it, that I just progressed through stages where I couldn't believe it."
The Clergy Project - Home Page

Old 07-27-2012, 01:44 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Probably because anyone reading the Bible objectively can see how utterly absurd it and its god are. Of course that doesn't rule out more rational, intelligent Gods...

Old 07-27-2012, 03:50 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Probably because anyone reading the Bible objectively can see how utterly absurd it and its god are. Of course that doesn't rule out more rational, intelligent Gods...
But why would anyone think that these more intelligent gods exist? The only reason we have the idea of a god is because of scripture. If that scripture and its god is absurd, why would we even entertain the concept of a deity? There's nothing about the natural world that demands its existence.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:32 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
But why would anyone think that these more intelligent gods exist?
Because if there is a Creator or Creators, they/it are obviously more intelligent than the men who cobbled together the Bible and its god from earlier mythologies.

Quote:
The only reason we have the idea of a god is because of scripture.
Uhm no, actually the idea of God(s), even a monotheistic God predates "scripture" by millenia.

Quote:
If that scripture and its god is absurd, why would we even entertain the concept of a deity?
Perhaps because some of us believe in a Creator and your primitive scriptures do not own the rights to God?

Quote:
There's nothing about the natural world that demands its existence.
It neither demands nor disproves it. However, if we assume there IS such a Creator we can use logic and reason to rule out the possible candidates. The Biblical god fails the test and multiple levels.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:21 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
some of us believe in a Creator and your primitive scriptures do not own the rights to God
That was exactly my point. Any so-called "holy book" has been written by other humans.

If you want to believe every word in a holy book, fine.

If you want to believe only the parts that you think came from your god and disregard the rest, fine.

If you want to form your own holy book, fine.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:27 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
But why would anyone think that these more intelligent gods exist? The only reason we have the idea of a god is because of scripture. If that scripture and its god is absurd, why would we even entertain the concept of a deity? There's nothing about the natural world that demands its existence.

Scripture is the creation of people seeking answers to other question. The belief in god does not come from scripture. Scripture comes from either trying to explain the unexplained (for example in the case of Greek and Roman mythology and christianity) or to make money as with Scientology and probably Mormonism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism