Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 06:55 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville1 View Post
As a whole, Christian's are anti-abortion and pro death penalty. That pretty much sum's it up for me.
Ah, and pro war. Once I made this connection consciously, I stopped calling them "pro life". You can't be both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 10:46 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Ah, and pro war. Once I made this connection consciously, I stopped calling them "pro life". You can't be both.
So true! My old college roommate was in the military and a "militant" christian too. He even took me to his church one day because I couldn't figure out why he was so religious. One day he was reading one of his war-mongering magazines that showcases the latest missiles and fighter jets and telling me how much "kill power" each one had. He literally had a smile on his face... beaming with national pride.

I asked him how he can be relishing in the killing capacity of those weapons when his beloved bible tells him "thou shall not kill"... especially since none of them were being used for self-defense. His eyes glazed over and he looked at me like a deer in the headlights... completely speechless. I hope he really learned something that day. Bible thumpers always try to justify that quote by referring to OTHER parts of the bible like "eye for an eye."

Um, no.

It's "Thou shall not kill." Period. There are no exceptions to the 10 Commandments. They don't come with an asterisk. That's why they are commandments.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:45 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times
The greatest tragedy is that the religious figureheads have managed to confuse billions that morality comes from religion.

I appreciate the image linked in the OP because it's undoubtedly true. If you're telling me that you're more moral because of your faint belief in the supernatural, and that is what is stopping you from raping children, you're an awful human being.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:27 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,956 times
The morality of those who believe in god is definitely questionable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQcGX...eature=related

Hitchslapped!

Last edited by logline; 09-21-2012 at 06:49 PM..

Old 09-23-2012, 06:43 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
If you're telling me that you're more moral because of your faint belief in the supernatural, and that is what is stopping you from raping children, you're an awful human being.
That is a very good point. I have lived a good and moral life for 67 years without any religious beliefs.

However, there are some awful human beings who have desires to harm others or harm themselves with alcohol or drugs. I have relatives like that. In some cases, religion seems to help these people to lead better lives, and I think that is good.

In this very inspirational evangelical song, it stresses that "no man does it all by himself":

Village People - YMCA (version originale) - Vidéo Dailymotion

Old 09-23-2012, 08:43 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
IMO, it is simple. Religion and morality have nothing to do with each other. Religion tries to conscript morality but fails.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:12 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
IMO, it is simple. Religion and morality have nothing to do with each other. Religion tries to conscript morality but fails.
However the faux morality of religion makes a great hiding place for those with the moral character of a child molester. Oh wait, I repeat myself.

Last edited by Asheville Native; 09-23-2012 at 04:27 PM..

Old 09-24-2012, 12:34 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,405 times
Religion is NOT the highroad to morality. I can't deny that a lot of churches try to teach some kind of constructive morals. But a lot of the time I think that people are drawn to religion because they like the authoritarianism of it. Really, if you want to be on a power trip nothing is a better platform than the Old Testament. I think that a lot of people who are into being a control freak, a power-tripper or just into good old fashioned right-wing authoritarianism (not a reference to political parties) go to the bible because it's full of that kind of thing and fully justified with the flip of a few pages.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:52 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
But a lot of the time I think that people are drawn to religion because they like the authoritarianism of it.
Cleatis, I think you are EXACTLY RIGHT.

A lot of people feel better living in an authoritarian culture, like "The bible says it, I believe it, and that ends it."

For these people, religion can be a good thing as long as it encourages behavior we all find socially beneficial. If they would feel lost without authoritarian guidance, let them have their religion.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:03 AM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
When I was a kid growing up in the Badtist curch, we were ralely allowed to go see moview BUT We could see anything with violence, anything with bad language and it did not matter waht the body count was....BUT if it had nudity...a glimpse of a bare breast or bumm, then it was Forbidden!!!!
Not to hijack the thread but I always found it amusing in those days that Bible Thumpers never felt like shootings in movies influenced kids to commit violence however sex in movies influenced them to have sex.

Interestingly after Reagan and Jim Brady got shot and all this gun control controversy started, the Bible Thumpers have changed their tune. They now will say that violence in movies influences kid's to violence yet the gun is still incidental.

So they have morphed from indicating that violence in movies and guns had no bearing on behavior to where they now say that the movies, video games etc. DO violent behavior but if a kid didn't have a gun he would stab somebody, or hit them with a baseball bat or bean them with a rock or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism