Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 06:10 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,713,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
why would God give us such a high sex drive if He thought it wrong anyway?
Same reason he makes a large percentage of pregnancies fail and refuses to miraculously heal amputees. Either he doesn't care, enjoys torturing people, or is a figment of believers' imaginations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 11:56 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Same reason he makes a large percentage of pregnancies fail and refuses to miraculously heal amputees. Either he doesn't care, enjoys torturing people, or is a figment of believers' imaginations.
The Bible also states, unequivocally and without qualification, that ALL prayers will be answered. This is from the mouth of Jesus himself, and is clearly a lie.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:02 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,184,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
The Bible also states, unequivocally and without qualification, that ALL prayers will be answered. This is from the mouth of Jesus himself, and is clearly a lie.

Well now the party line is that sometimes the answer is "no".

Old 10-12-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Well now the party line is that sometimes the answer is "no".
Oh, I know that that is the apologetics, but that is what the apologist says, not what the Bible says.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,184,262 times
Quote:
Oh, I know that that is the apologetics, but that is what the apologist says, not what the Bible says.

Huh. You mean the bible does not contradict itself on this matter as it does on many others? Go figure.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Huh. You mean the bible does not contradict itself on this matter as it does on many others? Go figure.
The Bible seems pretty consistent about this matter.

"And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it." (John 14:13-14)

I have found at least ten verses or group of verses that say exactly the same thing. The Bible is consistent, but consistently wrong about answered prayer. Explanations to try to rationalize are simply not Biblical.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:51 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,947,596 times
Quote:
EDIT: Oops... nevermind. My question was answered in another post.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:18 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Yes. The point is that the Bible appears to assure believers that everything they ask for 'in faith' will be granted. This is clearly not the case as the believers know since they use the excuse 'sometimes god says No'. which is the same result we'd get if there wasn't a god there at all which is what studies show and really what we can understand from world history.

The religious have to try to wangle something better with unexplained cures, dreams and mirages and various miracles which do not stand up very well under examination (Notably Fatima fell apart when put under the microscope here) but the fact remains, God does not grant everything asked in faith.

It does not answer to claim that Christians do not ask for anything like a new bike or to find a wad of dollars on the pavement. If they did in Faith - or at least something with a real justification - like a really needed job or a rescue or recovery from illness, that would be a perfectly justified prayer. And we know they do because, if they do happen to get a new job or are rescued or recover from illness this is held up as God answering a prayer. Thus, if that the Bible says is true this should work every time. It plainly does not

I will again present my offer. I have a bottle of water on my desk. If a Christian asks God to turn it into wine and it does, I will become a Christian. That's my offer. I 'know' it will not happen and so do Christians, because nobody has taken up the offer, but the only response is that 'God does not work like that' (we know, he works in a way indistinguishable from not actually existing) or that requests of that kind (practical, checkable and, moreover, not ever going to happen except by a miracle) do not count as proper faithful prayer.

Why not? If this miracle happens a soul is saved. Isn't that worth a percent of the effort put in by believers in trying to unbutton our arguments? Some have said it is not worth doing because I would never convert. I have said that I would and I keep my promises. In the face of such a miracle, would I dare not? At the least I would report that, for some reason i can't explain, the water indeed changed to wine. What a miracle!

No, the only reason the offer is not taken up is because they know the granting of prayers as assured in the Gospels does not happen.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:56 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,299,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I will again present my offer. I have a bottle of water on my desk. If a Christian asks God to turn it into wine and it does, I will become a Christian. That's my offer. I 'know' it will not happen and so do Christians, because nobody has taken up the offer, but the only response is that 'God does not work like that' (we know, he works in a way indistinguishable from not actually existing) or that requests of that kind (practical, checkable and, moreover, not ever going to happen except by a miracle) do not count as proper faithful prayer.

Why not? If this miracle happens a soul is saved. Isn't that worth a percent of the effort put in by believers in trying to unbutton our arguments? Some have said it is not worth doing because I would never convert. I have said that I would and I keep my promises. In the face of such a miracle, would I dare not? At the least I would report that, for some reason i can't explain, the water indeed changed to wine. What a miracle!
I was going to make it a two-for-one conversion and offer my soul as well, going as far as to place a glass of water on my fridge, but I couldn't do so in good faith.

I realized that even if it were a glass of wine the next time that I looked at it, that would still not be evidence of the Christian god. Maybe it was Bacchus, he also loves his wine. This is just more god-o-the-gaps. The unexplained phenomenon of water turning to wine is no more proof of any god than the unknown origin of life.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:58 AM

52 posts, read 67,728 times
Answered prayers are post hoc-coincidental, and theists rationalize about the others. Tests show that prayers don't make for healing.
How could then a square circle answer any anyway and how could one have a relationship with it- that imaginary being? See the new thread covenant morality for humanity- the presumption of humanism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism