Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 02:16 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,966 times

Advertisements

So The Other Day I had completely chance event happen. I was sitting on my computer, reading up about who knows what, and I recieved a text message. The Text said something about working with someones dad and how they were a true example of what a Christian is.... blah blah.... Obviously a wrong number. Heres how the exchange went....

THEM: original wrong number message

ME: I think you have the wrong number friend

THEM: Ok, I'm sorry

ME: It's ok, and you really shouldn't waste time worshiping the mythological characte4rs of Christianity, just saying

THEM: So to you, what is the meaning of life?

ME: In the broader sense, I would ask you why life requires an ultimate meaning to begin with, but in a personal sense, I believe we decide what our own meaning in this life is

THEM: I believe everything that was created, was created with a purpose in mind. I believe God created man to worship and glorify him

ME: I respect your right to believe that, but you first have to prove that everything has an objectrive purpose and that it MUST have had a God to set it in motion

{after a long time with no response.... }

ME: I hope that one day your eyes will be opened to reality and that you will be set free from the fallacied of revealed religion as I have been.... good evening to you

THEM: It looks like we aren't going to agree on much tonight, but that is ok. It has been great having this conversation with you, have a good night

ME: likewise.....

And that was the end of it. It was a completely random stranger on the other end. I wou7ld have to say it was a positve experience all-in-all. Have any Atheists ever had a discussion ion why you believe religion to be a farce either with someone you know or not, outside of City-Data or other internet forums? How did it go and what kind of response did you get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 03:28 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,968 times
only to people who proselytized me first. (does that count?)

Old 08-06-2012, 07:27 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Generally atheist don't proselytize. Personally, challenging a religious person in person would be rather impolite, unnecessarily rude and a violation of the Prime Directive.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:00 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
only to people who proselytized me first. (does that count?)
Exactly. If someone doesn't try to sell me religion I don't even mention it. Outside of City - Data.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:10 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,523,785 times
I've never had a conversation with a proselytizing theist as an adult except for two instances with missionaries, a Hari Krishna and a Mormon, that I initiated. As such, no, I haven't proselytized, it would have felt very rude to do in person. It's much easier to debate these things in written form, where we can ignore social convention and deal in pure logic without having to worry about politeness in a way that makes us dishonest.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:57 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,547 times
I see no reason to attack people individually for their faith. I have no issue with people thinking there is a god. So I leave them to it. As a founding member of Atheist Ireland however I pick my battles more carefully and work to resist the application of unsubstantiated nonsense in our halls of power, education and science. People are more than welcome to think there is a god. They are not so welcome to apply that idea in public policy, law and education.

That said however I have worked to get as many believers as possible to actually read the bible. I mean really read it. So far the result of that in my personal life is 100% deconversion from Christianity with people essentially saying to me "I was meant to believe THAT stuff????"

Old 08-07-2012, 06:48 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,939,915 times
To the OP that is not proseletyzing on your part as much as it is a rebuttal against the Christian religion.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:49 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
I don't discuss religion unless someone comes to the door and tries to sell it to me or accosts me in some way and tries to convince me that I should go to their church or whatever.

When that happens, I might hand them a pamphlet from Why Won't God Heal Amputees?

Old 08-08-2012, 01:18 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,928,915 times
Yes, if they initiated it first. I won't initiate it though, unlike many of the people around me who seem all to eager to do so.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:23 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,424,923 times
For the most part they are worth avoiding if they are too overtly religious. We have a neighbour for example who hisses at us as we pass - and often stands at the end of our garden mumbling latin and flicking holy water into our garden. All because he disagrees with our particular "Life style".

It is clear to me there is no usefulness in even discussing the issue with him - let alone pushing atheist thought on him.

Where people keep religion to themselves I see no need to convert them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism