U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-12-2012, 09:21 AM

44 posts, read 38,797 times

Advertisements

I know this sounds strange, but I was going to a event that I thought was supposed to be about something else, but it then it turned into a religious event. Is that weird? Shouldn't people warn people about the religious undertone before inviting people? Kind of felt weirded out.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 09:38 AM

845 posts, read 487,303 times
yes i went to an engagement of Muslim cousin who is engaged to a muslim man it turned into a long reading from the Qur'an. i am not going to another engagement involving muslims couples. and i am going to thier wedding and i am prepared to leave if this turn into another long quranic reading muslim prayer.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:05 AM

192 posts, read 71,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefrogs View Post
I know this sounds strange, but I was going to a event that I thought was supposed to be about something else, but it then it turned into a religious event. Is that weird? Shouldn't people warn people about the religious undertone before inviting people? Kind of felt weirded out.
This reminds me of some of those "haunted house" events churches put on around Halloween. At least one I know of didn't explicitly state that it was being hosted by a church and would therefore have a proselytization-element woven in there somewhere. Very dishonest, especially for an institution that (claims to) elevate honesty as one of many virtues.

-

Old 08-12-2012, 11:17 AM

10,103 posts, read 4,547,526 times
I suppose anyone who ever got invited to an Amway meeting could respond to this thread. Not that I have, but that would be a good example.

As for me, many years ago, my then boyfriend and I went to a party that a coworker of mine had invited us to. No alcohol should have been the tipoff. Then everyone sat around in a circle and started "sharing." At first I thought it was some kind of 12-step thing and maybe my friend was an alcoholic and needed support. Then people started talking about how they were thankful for the help of Jesus and talking about the inspiration they got from the bible.

"Lilac, do you have anything to share?"

"No, thanks."

After that, my friend didn't invite me to anymore parties, but we did get together for other things, like mini-golf, shopping, etc. I really don't know what she was thinking inviting me to that. I wasn't an atheist at the time, but she did know I was "officially," if not devoutly, Catholic.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:28 PM

16,137 posts, read 8,166,917 times
Heh. Yes, in the 60's I went to a slide talk on the Dead sea scrolls.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:23 PM

6,602 posts, read 8,779,083 times
When I was in high school, there was this girl that I really liked. She was always nice to me but always seemed to hang around a different crowd of people. I didn't know much about this other crowd of people and it wasn't that they were unfriendly or anything but my high school was huge and three different junior high schools fed into it. So, it was more like I just didn't know who they were and they didn't know who I was.

I tried several times to speak to this girl but was always interrupted or fumbled all over my words and made myself look like an idiot. I guess she caught on because one day she told me there was going to be a party at one of her friends' house and asked me to go with her. Without hesitation I agreed. The night of the party I popped all my zits, put on my most fashionable clothes, and even brushed my teeth.

We had agreed to meet at the party since we had different curfew times. Let me preface by saying that I thought party meant sex, drugs and rock n' roll. Her version of party apparently meant sitting in circles singing hymns to praise Jesus and drinking Coca-Cola.

Then, the whole thing turned into stories about the time we were "saved." It was kind of like sitting around a camp fire telling ghost stories only, at this freakishly weird event, everyone was discussing what their life was like prior to being saved and how they were such different people afterwards.

I managed to find an excuse to leave before they got to me but it was a very disappointing moment for me. It also taught me to never rule out the motives of religious people to try and convert you.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:27 PM

50,376 posts, read 47,835,108 times
no but i have been invited to a church social and utterly ignored by those who made the invitation from work. not nice.
social marketing.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:20 AM

5,436 posts, read 2,060,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefrogs View Post
This is actually a tactic for many people. One example I can think of was the "Alpha Course". I think many people know now that it is religious in nature but not many. Certainly when I first encountered it I had NO idea it was a religious recruitment tactic. Instead the origaniser, a guy I worked with, sold it as a programme for talking about Life, Stress, Love and more after work among friends. A group of us thought this sounded great and went along for the fun and the friendship and the discussions.

It was not long before it became abundantly clear that his intentions were to Evangelize at us and teach us about Christ and "save" us.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:59 AM

16,137 posts, read 8,166,917 times
Yes I recall the alpha course and how its evangelistic agenda was totally concealed.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:23 PM

959 posts, read 632,456 times
I've had people try to get me to go to religious events before from various faiths. Of course, most religious salespeople aren't very good at covering up the sales pitch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism