Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 11:45 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,452,395 times

Advertisements

I think as an introvert I don't have a dying need to tell people about my personal life. I have difficulty talking about myself as it is, let alone telling people about my atheist ways. If directly asked I will answer though, because I'm not going to lie about it. But to go out of my way.. not likely. I prefer to be "closeted" because the few people that do know like to insert their religious BS every chance they get. It's like they think, "oh goodie, here's one I can save and then I would have done my Christian duty!" I just don't want to give anyone that kind of fuel to jack with me or my kids.

Right now, the most important people I've purposefully "come out to" are my children and their minds mean more to me than anyone vomiting religious dogma. I'm not training them to be atheist, but I am telling them, "you can think whatever you want, your mind is your own. I can't tell you what's absolutely true, no one can. I don't believe in god(s) but you can believe if you want to." In the distant future, I'm going to let loose these too smart and beautiful girls out into the world who just happen to have an atheist mother. Maybe they'll be atheist, maybe not. But they know the truth about how good atheist can be and their opinion is all that matters to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 04:49 PM

705 posts, read 1,106,276 times
It's nice to hear from folks who are using the intelligence that nature has bestowed upon us.

I don't think I was ever in the closet per se with my atheism. I would make it known when it was necessary or when asked, or when it was fitting in a conversation. I have found out through theh years that many people share my beliefs and many are in favor of strict separation of church and state. Liquor sales on sunday was recently passed here and many people were in favor of it, but this waiting until noon crap is ridiculous. Most intelligent people will be open minded and see through the falacy of religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism