Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:39 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,325,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Am I in bizarro world? The defenition of atheism is "disbelief in a diety."

If there is no diety, what happens to us when we die?

We cease to exist? Correct?

If we cease to exist, there is no accountability. I didn't realize I made this difficult to understand.

Am I wrong?
If that's what you personally need to believe to stop you from harming others, then please keep on believing it.

But most people are not sociopaths incapable of empathy. Teaching children to 'do the right thing' or else they'll 'burn in hell' is not a great way to help them develop empathy - it does the opposite.

People with a more developed sense of empathy don't need to live in fear of death, or an imaginary 'father/parent figure', or eternal hellfire, to stop them from harming others. They treat others how they would like to be treated because they have empathy. Which is kind of what Jesus Christ (if such a person actually existed in real life) was trying to show wasn't it?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:40 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,296,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
... but to answer your initial question:

Yes, it does. That message is:

It's okay to think for yourself.
I do think for myself, and I think that I don't deserve any type of entitlement.

If you're bold enough to do the crime, you're bold enough to do the time.

8,996 posts, read 10,422,822 times
Quote:
Really?

LOL.
Yes, really.

Religion in Nazi Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LOL.

And guess what? The Nazis attempted to ban atheism.

From the same link:

Quote:
The regime strongly opposed "godless communism"[82][83] and most of Germany's freethinking (freigeist), atheist, and largely left-wing organizations were banned the same year.[84][85] In a speech made 24 October 1933, Hitler claimed to have "undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations: we have stamped it out."[86] And in a speech made during the negotiations for the Nazi-Vatican Concordant of 1933, Hitler argued against secular schools, stating: "Secular schools can never be tolerated because such schools have no religious instruction, and a general moral instruction without a religious foundation is built on air; consequently, all character training and religion must be derived from faith."[87]
Now where have I seen that bold-faced statement before??

6,993 posts, read 6,315,513 times
Quote:

If we cease to exist, there is no accountability. I didn't realize I made this difficult to understand.

Am I wrong?
Yes, you are bizarro. Yes, you are wrong.

So, in your admittedly bizarro world, all humans are innately bad and must live in fear of the wrath of a vengeful god who will hold them "accountable." All I can say is,

24,261 posts, read 14,123,899 times
Quote:
Really?

LOL.

I mean, that's like saying, I'm straight, but I only have sex with guys. Am I really straight?

Nope.

Have you ever read the Gospel? Because Christ says, turn the other cheek and love your enemies.

That's the bottom line. To be Christian, is to mimic Christ. Anytime we do otherwise, we are not exhbiting Christian behavior.
Ahhhhh the "not a true christian" ploy. Okay.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:41 PM

635 posts, read 537,970 times
Quote:

Am I wrong?
When was the last time an atheist flew a plane into a building, committed a pogrom, or blew up an abortion clinic in the name of atheism?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:41 PM

33,502 posts, read 36,999,655 times
Quote:
Maybe, I'm just taking advantage of my situation. If I view things logically, you are reduced to a bag of flesh, a mere souless entity. And unless you serve an imporant purpose, you would be exhbiting parastic behavior.
You call this logic? I think you need therapy.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
How about showing us one of those signs that mock Christianity....Are they anything like this Christian anti atheist sign?
The only way you can prove to me that the sign represents Christianity is with documented evidence.

If you can find a place in the Gospel where Jesus makes this claim, than I cannot refute you.

But I'm going to tell you, you won't find it.

You already said that Christ doesn't exist, so if Christ doesn't exist, how does Christianity exist?

You want to have your cake and eat it. Life don't work like that.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You call this logic? I think you need therapy.
I call it Surival of the Fittest. If I don't do it, someone else will.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:43 PM

345 posts, read 641,575 times
We still live in a land of laws. If I kill a man, it is likely that I will be held accountable for such action. That is still mostly irrelevant, because unless a man has taken some action against me, I have no reason to do him harm.

Your entire premise is insulting. Not just to atheists, but to Christians. The message you are sending to them is that if they had no fear of the afterlife, they would have no moral compass of their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism