Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 12:25 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times

Advertisements

I begin to understand what you are getting at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnietspingal View Post
I guess my real point here is that Jews started all this in the first place and they are not getting the credit they deserve for over 2000 years.
My response to this goes back to your first question about teaching the history of the Torah/Bible/Quran. If you study the actual history, and not accept the scriptural tradition as a priori fact, you will see that the Jews did not "start all this". Their creation myths are derives from earlier creation myths, their laws are related to earlier laws. Their scripture was written from disparate oral traditions, and was edited and altered to suit the political and religious needs of the writers. Judaism, and later, christianity and Islam, display influences from a variety of cultures, such as Mithraism, Zoroastrianism and Greek philosophy. Platonism played a major role in the formation of modern Christianity. No culture or tradition is singularly or prmarily responsible for human civilization, they have all played a part, as humanity is inextricably intertwined.

Quote:
In addition, I would love for Hebrew to be offered in the public elementary schools as an option to Spanish. I suspect that if that happened, Hispanics would suddenly start using English because then they would all choose Hebrew. Just a "feeling", a sekhel yashar, that really I am emotional about. I am comforted because Spinoza shared this same feeling about the Hebrew language. I have his grammar and it's so folksy. It wasn't until 1997 that all Jews in the USA started teaching Hebrew in their congregations.
I am glad you like Hebrew, but unless one is doing business in Israel, it is not a very useful language for us non-Jews to know. If someone is going to know only one additional language, a Romance language is very handy as it helps make the history of western culture much more accessible. My personal thought is Chinese would be incredibly valuable, and I would highly encourage a child to take it up. Hebrew has limited uses if it is not part of one's religious tradition, just like learning Latin or Koine Greek. That said, I would never want to discourage any form of learning. If Hebrew floats your boat, more power to you. I wouldn't mind knowing enough to get around Hertzlia or Tev Aviv, but there are a lot of other languages on my to learn list before Hebrew.

I think it is great that you are passionate about your cultural heritage, but it is not my cultural heritage. Why would I abandon that, in order to be more "Jewish"? I am not a Jew either culturally or religiously, and have no desire to be so. For me to try would be at best foolishness, if not insulting.

-NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 02:05 PM

377 posts, read 576,004 times
So to sum things up. If you are satisfied to read the Bible in English then there's nothing more to say. However, this will be my last post here.

It's a true miracle for me. Somehow, I tried once more just now like I do for years to find documentation of what I read in THE SOURCE by Michener. AND I FOUND IT. Reading this has just amplified through all the years since I read that book. I always wondered if anyone on the Planet saw what I saw. So thanks to all of you for engaging in this thread. A miracle did just occur because of y'all. You are all so respectful.

A Ukranian Tale: May 2010 Find Michener and read all about it.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:32 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Do Professional Atheists Study the History of the Bible and the Quran?
I can get paid simply for being a rational human being who doesn't believe in fairy tales?

Where do I apply?

Old 09-05-2012, 01:15 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I can get paid simply for being a rational human being who doesn't believe in fairy tales?

Where do I apply?
To think I have been honing my craft here a gratis! Sign me up too! Cake, please.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:03 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Default Do Professional Atheists Study the History of the Bible and the Quran?

What's a "professional atheist"?

Does that make me a "professional non-golfer" or a "professional non 3-toed space monkey"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism