U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 01:14 AM

377 posts, read 498,314 times

Advertisements

Do Atheists encourage their children to study the History of the Bible and the Quran? Do Atheists understand that the Bible was originally created in three languages: Hebrew, Aramaic and Koine Greek?
How do Atheists understand the History of the Quran?

I'm Jewish so I don't understand how one can be an Atheist and still not be Jewish. I think back 2500 years ago in the Middle East that the problem with Judaism is that it was considered Atheism by the Elite ruling classes interested in land-grabbing and mind-control under the Divine Right of Kings culture and civilization.

Now since I am head of my household and am Jewish, I'm not a Jew but a Jewess. I just found out this month that the word "Jewess" is considered an abusive label. BUT I AM A JEWESS. I am a female USA head of household, taxable that way. I am not a Jew which is a male. Until 1920, 19th Amendment, there was no such biological individual as a female head of household.

I won't say "Adonai" any more because I read Hebrew and 6007 times it's clearly "YHWH" and no agreement as to vowels. Can professional Atheists help out with the missing vowels. Why shouldn't Atheists help out? Especially if they are convinced they are Atheists. If it weren't for Stephen Colbert/Jon Stewart in my 83 years, I would not have been able to even post this message. In 2008 they freed publicly with their series "Yahweh or No Way". It's a brand new Bible world since 2008.

The Bible can become a tool for spirituality for Atheists. Especially if they learn Hebrew. There can be Hebrew Atheism can't there? Especially now that we the people of the USA can buy HaKoran by Dr. Uri Rubin online. The Koran cannot exist without the Bible. The Koran does not recognize YHWH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 01:50 AM

39,034 posts, read 10,825,389 times
By 'professional' I take them to mean firmly and determinedly atheist - we don't get paid for it.

I can only speak for myself and I am not typical as I not a deconvert.

It has been well observed that speaking Jewish, Greek, Aramaic or Latin is inessential. A reliable translation will do very well and words can be checked. The general sense is good enough to get the gist.

We do of course not teach religion to our kids. We can leave that to the theist - pervaded social and educational system. If they ask, we tell them that we don't do church or religion and why. Whether they take up a religion or not is their own choice.

The rest I don't follow. A Jew can be atheist (by race - whatever that actually means) but a not Jewish atheist obviously cannot be Jewish.

Jews, Christians, Mormons, Muslims and some Hindus claim even Hindus, worship the same god, though they say others have got it wrong about what it wants or what its plans are for us or how it should be worshipped or which is the appropriate set of scriptures.

Deist/Pantheists or irreligious theists would say that it is all the same god but evidently none of the religions really knows what it wants or what the right religious rituals or scriptures are and it probably doesn't matter.

Atheists say that it's all human invention and a waste of time.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:03 AM

13,316 posts, read 25,550,246 times
Strange question! Are there amateur atheists?
Why would an atheist, why would I read the Koran or bible or any such? Is there a requirement that one must be well versed in theism in order to refuse it?
"Jewess" isn't abusive, so much as irrelevant- like "poet/poetess" and increasingly, "actor/actress." The need to add "-ess" to indicate a female is fading, and the male version of any term is becoming the only term.
There are certainly secular Jews, and atheist Jews. In those cases, likely the person had some religious upbringing, or not, but it's an ethnic identity, similar to the way a friend of mine considers herself completely Armenian, although born and raised in Lebanon by Armenian refugees.
I had two Jewish grandparents. As my mother would sharply tell me, "If Hitler came back, you'd be Jewish enough," meaning according to the Nuremburg Racial Laws of 1935. So being "half-Jewish" buys into taking Jewishness as a race or racial thing- which leads to all sorts of michief.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:34 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,360,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnietspingal View Post
I'm Jewish so I don't understand how one can be an Atheist and still not be Jewish.
What?

Old 08-27-2012, 07:55 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,221,276 times
no i study the history of the bible as a hobby and there is no such thing as a professional atheist

Old 08-27-2012, 09:03 AM

8,398 posts, read 9,885,877 times
I want to reply to you but I'm not sure how. So, maybe you could be a bit clearer with your questioning? That would be nice. TY

Old 08-27-2012, 11:36 AM

16,300 posts, read 24,953,508 times
Quote:

I'm Jewish so I don't understand how one can be an Atheist and still not be Jewish.
Well as an atheist, I don't understand why you can't understand this. Atheists don't believe in god, God, G-d, or any other spelling.

It's simple, deities are the invention of man and do not exist. Superstition on the other hand is very real and an anchor holding back man's ability to see reality.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:30 PM

4,883 posts, read 3,972,759 times
Studying the Bible and it's origins made it very easy for me to refute it as factual or useful. However, from a socio-mythological point of view, one would study it to see how it influences the religion of a group or movement. Much as reading ancient Egyptian or Greek mythologies would explain the beliefs behind events of those eras.

If we want to sometimes shake our heads at some of the problems Christains cause for themselves, and wonder "Why would someone do this?" We look at the bible and the person's belief in it, and it helps us to understand some more of their behavior.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:01 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,112,597 times
Quote:
I don't understand how one can be an Atheist and still not be Jewish.
Do you understand how one can be an Atheist and still not be Hindu?

Quote:
The Bible can become a tool for spirituality for Atheists.
Do you really think we want to be spiritual?

Old 08-27-2012, 02:05 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,221,276 times
Quote:
The Bible can become a tool for spirituality for Atheists
atheists are not interested in spirituality which is synonym for religious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism