U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-28-2012, 11:34 AM
 
Location: USA
1,905 posts, read 2,184,168 times
Reputation: 1214

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/ma...ader.html?_r=2

"Six months after he was “outed” as an atheist he lost his job and his wife — both, he says, as a direct consequence. Only a handful of his 100-plus relatives from DeRidder still speak to him. When I visited him, in late June, his house was in foreclosure, and he was contemplating moving into his 2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser. This is the kind of environment where godlessness remains a real struggle and raises questions that could ramify across the rest of the country."

"Sitting at the table, the man took out two printouts from secular Web sites with DeWitt’s name on it. “He told me: ‘The Pentecostals who run the parish are not happy, and something’s got to be done,’ ”DeWitt recalled. “Half an hour later I was out of a job.” (His former boss did not respond to phone calls seeking comment.) "

These people are horrible. And Christians think they are the ones being oppressed in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-28-2012, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Earth
1,113 posts, read 1,883,048 times
Reputation: 757
Your link wanted me to log in.
I was able to go to google and find the same article but cant seem to link it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2012, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Sitting on a bar stool. Guinness in hand.
4,429 posts, read 5,672,077 times
Reputation: 1698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Your link wanted me to log in.
I was able to go to google and find the same article but cant seem to link it right.
From Bible-Belt Pastor to Atheist Leader - Robert F. Worth - New York Times - RichardDawkins.net



http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/ma...ader.html?_r=3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2012, 09:10 PM
 
16,105 posts, read 17,907,645 times
Reputation: 15895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/ma...ader.html?_r=2

"Six months after he was “outed” as an atheist he lost his job and his wife — both, he says, as a direct consequence. Only a handful of his 100-plus relatives from DeRidder still speak to him. When I visited him, in late June, his house was in foreclosure, and he was contemplating moving into his 2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser. This is the kind of environment where godlessness remains a real struggle and raises questions that could ramify across the rest of the country."

"Sitting at the table, the man took out two printouts from secular Web sites with DeWitt’s name on it. “He told me: ‘The Pentecostals who run the parish are not happy, and something’s got to be done,’ ”DeWitt recalled. “Half an hour later I was out of a job.” (His former boss did not respond to phone calls seeking comment.) "

These people are horrible. And Christians think they are the ones being oppressed in America.
I am sure that losing his job probably put him into bankruptcy and foreclosure, but I am not sure how you could expect a church to continue to employ an atheist preacher who doesn't believe in their doctrine. That does not seem evil to me, just logical from their point of view.

I do think those who won't speak to him and who shunned him are pretty awful, but I cannot fault the church for firing him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 04:07 AM
 
39,147 posts, read 10,857,554 times
Reputation: 5090
I have to agree. How can an organization have as a boss someone who does not truly believe in the dogma of that organization? At the same time, what happened to just taking his aside and proving to him that it's all true? According to theists it is easy enough with logic, reason, science, history and evidence all supporting the truth of the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 05:19 AM
 
3,404 posts, read 2,251,727 times
Reputation: 1315
Nana, Arequipa, you should read the full article (it is kind of long). His job was a building inspector. He had resigned his pastoral position freely once he could no longer in good conscience teach religion. He was fired due to pressure from area churches after beginning to speak publicly at atheist/agnostic/freethought conferences.

I had the same thought you did from the summary, but when I read the article, it was clear that he was not being sneaky about it, and when he lost his faith he did the right thing and stepped down. The rest of it has come about because he wouldn't, as a local pastor put it, "keep his mouth shut". The summary doesn't do this story justice...

NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 06:10 AM
 
39,147 posts, read 10,857,554 times
Reputation: 5090
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Nana, Arequipa, you should read the full article (it is kind of long). His job was a building inspector. He had resigned his pastoral position freely once he could no longer in good conscience teach religion. He was fired due to pressure from area churches after beginning to speak publicly at atheist/agnostic/freethought conferences.

I had the same thought you did from the summary, but when I read the article, it was clear that he was not being sneaky about it, and when he lost his faith he did the right thing and stepped down. The rest of it has come about because he wouldn't, as a local pastor put it, "keep his mouth shut". The summary doesn't do this story justice...

NoCapo
Thanks for the correction. I had read the article before now (or thought I had) so just went as far as 'Hah ! I remember this'. But obviously I didn't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 06:17 AM
 
3,404 posts, read 2,251,727 times
Reputation: 1315
I think most of us have done that at one time or other. I just wanted to clarify, because I identify with the situation. I grew up in a similar environment, and still have not felt comfortable "coming out" with my atheism to most of my family and folks from the home town. It isn't always that bad, but it often isn't good...

NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 07:50 AM
 
Location: On the Edge of the Fringe
4,888 posts, read 3,977,230 times
Reputation: 4138
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
I think most of us have done that at one time or other. I just wanted to clarify, because I identify with the situation. I grew up in a similar environment, and still have not felt comfortable "coming out" with my atheism to most of my family and folks from the home town. It isn't always that bad, but it often isn't good...

NoCapo
My dad told me a few nights ago on the phone that he could never vote for a Mormon. I told him we need an atheist for president; there was dead silence on the other end of the phone
(Keep in mind he and I do not get along anyway)

I frequently post Atheist/humanist links on facebook, so anyone who pays attention to me there will know my views on the subject. Anyone who pays attention being the key phrase therein. Most people do not want to hear of it.
Case in point, Family Guy cartoon where the dog announces he is an atheist? It even makes the news channel because the town is reacting with horror to the idea that there is an atheist in the town.
Read Christopher Hitchen's books, you will see that he was often threatened with assault and death by loving CHristians for speaking out in favor of atheism. Even the police refused to protect him. It would seem that while being gay is acceptable, being an atheist still is not.
I don't go around preaching atheism or the evils of CHristianity, but if someone asks or pushes the point, I will tell them. I openly endorse atheism. Some of my Christian frinds are wanting nothing else to do with me, but I have to choose between fair weather friends and hypocrits, or people who like myself, actually think for a living.

Yes, CHristians always have been the persecutors, but they are also often crybabies when they feel persecuted. Sounds like entitlment to me. I am not entitled to anything but the right to have my beliefs. When those beliefs are counter to some religious fanatics, it would seem that from their point of view, more oft than not, they feel more entitled than I do.

Also the article does point out something but does not discuss it. Madyln Muray O'Hair was the outspoken atheist and the most hated woman in America. She was hated even by other atheists not because of her beliefs but because of her attitude. She was a very nasty, unpleasant person, who crossed the wrong psycho and met with a most painful end as a result. We now have more reasonable leaders like Dawkins and I wish one day myself who bring not a bad attitude but a level-head of reason and education to the movement, who show that morals are human and not religion and that thinking and questioning are truly the way to the human race solving it's problems and challenges.

EVER NOTICE HOW THE CHURCHES THAT CLAIM TO HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS ARE THE ONES THAT DO NOT PERMIT QUESTIONS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 09:08 AM
 
39,147 posts, read 10,857,554 times
Reputation: 5090
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
My dad told me a few nights ago on the phone that he could never vote for a Mormon. I told him we need an atheist for president; there was dead silence on the other end of the phone
(Keep in mind he and I do not get along anyway)

I frequently post Atheist/humanist links on facebook, so anyone who pays attention to me there will know my views on the subject. Anyone who pays attention being the key phrase therein. Most people do not want to hear of it.
Case in point, Family Guy cartoon where the dog announces he is an atheist? It even makes the news channel because the town is reacting with horror to the idea that there is an atheist in the town.
Read Christopher Hitchen's books, you will see that he was often threatened with assault and death by loving CHristians for speaking out in favor of atheism. Even the police refused to protect him. It would seem that while being gay is acceptable, being an atheist still is not.
I don't go around preaching atheism or the evils of CHristianity, but if someone asks or pushes the point, I will tell them. I openly endorse atheism. Some of my Christian frinds are wanting nothing else to do with me, but I have to choose between fair weather friends and hypocrits, or people who like myself, actually think for a living.

Yes, CHristians always have been the persecutors, but they are also often crybabies when they feel persecuted. Sounds like entitlment to me. I am not entitled to anything but the right to have my beliefs. When those beliefs are counter to some religious fanatics, it would seem that from their point of view, more oft than not, they feel more entitled than I do.

Also the article does point out something but does not discuss it. Madyln Muray O'Hair was the outspoken atheist and the most hated woman in America. She was hated even by other atheists not because of her beliefs but because of her attitude. She was a very nasty, unpleasant person, who crossed the wrong psycho and met with a most painful end as a result. We now have more reasonable leaders like Dawkins and I wish one day myself who bring not a bad attitude but a level-head of reason and education to the movement, who show that morals are human and not religion and that thinking and questioning are truly the way to the human race solving it's problems and challenges.

EVER NOTICE HOW THE CHURCHES THAT CLAIM TO HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS ARE THE ONES THAT DO NOT PERMIT QUESTIONS?
I am an atheist and i approve this message.

And it reminds me of Dawkins reads his hate mail (or it could be 'a reading of Dawkins' hate mail').


Hate E-mails with Richard Dawkins - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top