Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 07:38 AM

7,594 posts, read 6,085,921 times

Advertisements

The individual who piosted the black and white sign on facebook to which I referenced in the OP is both a republican and an evangelical CHristian. We have worked on some projects together, she does not tend to be the aggressive Christian type although she did tell me that Jesus would return and fix everything and she does take a somewhat unhealthy (In my opinion) philosophy of social apathy as a result of this belief. I thought the post presented some degree of ignorance and a great lack of understanding of atheism on her part. Point is, I do not know any atheists who think that life the universe or even dinosaurs "Magically appeared". On the other hand, if one follows the Bible, then lots of things, including god, magically appear. This point is obvious. There is no "Magic" in the universe, only cause and effect of physical and chemical reactions.

I am a fiscally conservative atheist, but on social issues, I tend to leave people alone which classifies me as a liberal. I don't care, for example who is marrying who and who is sleeping with who so long as STD's don't invade my bedroom. I also do not force my beliefs on others but I do intervene professionally when a situation has caused a person to become so ill or destitute or self-destructive that for their own good and neccesity for survival is compromised. I am conservative on many political issues, especially those regarding the economy, but again, I could not care any less who marries who or what color the skin is of some elected official.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 05:42 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,137,228 times
When I hear the word liberal I don't think atheist. I do think of somebody that wants to pick my pocket! When I hear religious right; I think of somebody that I don't want to know. Maybe I'm just too judgmental? I don't want somebody preaching to me and I want to keep my own money in my own pocket. Maybe that is just too much to ask for in life?

Old 09-03-2012, 09:21 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
When I hear the word liberal I don't think atheist. I do think of somebody that wants to pick my pocket! When I hear religious right; I think of somebody that I don't want to know. Maybe I'm just too judgmental? I don't want somebody preaching to me and I want to keep my own money in my own pocket. Maybe that is just too much to ask for in life?
there are exceptions, but 80 - 90% of the time, this will prove accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism