Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 11:03 PM

5 posts, read 4,105 times

Advertisements

False. There is no contemporary evidence that Jesus even existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 04:13 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
True or false?
There is no doubt some good practical advice in the bible, but I've never known a Jesus, so I couldn't say where it came from.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:44 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,524,911 times
Default Many fictional characters give timely advise

"It's the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more."
Spoiler
Albus Dumbledore

"Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive!"
Spoiler
Bugs Bunny

"Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealously. The shadow of greed, that is."
Spoiler
Yoda

Old 10-26-2012, 04:51 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
"It's the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more."
Spoiler
Albus Dumbledore

"Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive!"
Spoiler
Bugs Bunny

"Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealously. The shadow of greed, that is."
Spoiler
Yoda
35 ¢ Cheap!
Spoiler
Alfred E. Neuman

Old 10-28-2012, 09:16 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,209 times
Whatever your best at, there is always about a million people better than you at it

Spoiler
Homer Simpson

Old 10-28-2012, 09:58 AM

344 posts, read 395,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Uh, both true and false?

Going with the mainstream idea of what Jesus was purported to have said, there are indeed some good bits in there. There is also, however, as AREQUIPA puts it, a bunch of tosh.

But here's the thing: all the good, practical stuff Jesus was purported to have said had pretty much already been said by others before him, and gone over again by people after him. His good advice isn't really unique to him.

The stuff that is unique to him is all either rubbish or flat out gross.

So yea, Jesus had some good advice. But so did many, many other people in history.
I pretty much agree with you right down the line. Personally, I think Jesus existed, and should probably be admired.

For some reason, centuries of people have latched onto Jesus, his image, and made him a religious figure. I remember an interview with Paul Newman where he said that there are hundreds and maybe even thousands of actors that can act as well as he acts, but for some reason he got lucky and was noticed, and managed to stay recognized over the years. Jesus and Paul Newman... how's that for an analogy?

Old 10-29-2012, 10:53 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,187,400 times
Even if he did exist, we only have the word of others, much later, that said he was the source of all that practical advise.
So maybe he did and maybe he didn't.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:49 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,736,850 times
If Jesus ever existed he's a liar and an advocate of really evil stuff.

Lies;

And Jesus answered and said to them, "Truly I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, `Be taken up and cast into the sea,' it will happen. "And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive." (Matthew 21:21-22 NAS)

And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it. (John 14:13-14 NAB)

Jesus in John 14:12 & Mark 16:17-18 said: "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth in me, the works that I do shall he also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father." This implies that Jesus’ true followers should be able to routinely perform the following tricks: 1) cast out devils, 2) speak in tongues, 3) take up serpents, 4) drink poisons without harm, and 5) cure the sick by touching them and MANY other of Jesus’ "works". Curiously I have yet to see a Christian that can do any of the above on demand.

Wickedness;

Families will be torn apart because of Jesus. “Brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death." Matthew 10:21

Abandon your wife and children for Jesus and he’ll give your a big reward. Jesus asks that his followers abandon their children to follow him. To leave your child is abuse, it’s called neglect, pure and simple. Matthew 19:29

James 4:3 If your prayers are not answered, it’s your own damned fault. This is in direct contradiction to where Jesus says "seek and ye shall find, ask and it shall be known to you".

The list of absurdities, lies and contradictions goes on. Funny how people like to just cherry pick the so-called "nice" things about Jesus.

I would have thought truth and consistency should be some of the hallmarks of an omnipotent supreme being.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:14 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,736,850 times
And here's the kicker;

'We are told salvation is obtained by faith alone (John 3:18 & 36) yet Jesus told a man to follow the Commandments-Matthew 19:16-18 (saving by works)-if he wanted eternal life'

Two little concepts that completely contradicted one another and divided christendom for ever. Why would god do that? He must have know the repercussions would reverberate throughout history.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:39 PM

983 posts, read 1,634,242 times
None that hadn't been given already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism