U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-20-2012, 07:46 PM
 
40,084 posts, read 26,750,404 times
Reputation: 6050

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Or put the other way NOT taxing them is giving religious specific excemption which also breaks the idea of "Make no law respecting religion" rule.
Absurd. Not making the tax law apply to religion is simply following the prohibition. Logic is your friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 PM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,945 posts, read 4,743,081 times
Reputation: 1328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
You are. Atheists are minority everywhere anyway
So are Saints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 PM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,945 posts, read 4,743,081 times
Reputation: 1328
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Absurd. Not making the tax law apply to religion is simply following the prohibition. Logic is your friend.
No, its purposely excusing religions from paying their fair share of taxes. Any religion is as legitimate a religion as my personal one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2012, 09:49 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,442 posts, read 9,885,235 times
Reputation: 4691
Their tax breaks should be on par with other 503(c) nonprofits--no more and no less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 07:26 AM
 
5,462 posts, read 5,939,436 times
Reputation: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Absurd. Not making the tax law apply to religion is simply following the prohibition. Logic is your friend.
How does treating religion as any other organization violate their rights, exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2012, 05:03 AM
 
3,637 posts, read 2,698,670 times
Reputation: 4300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Absurd. Not making the tax law apply to religion is simply following the prohibition. Logic is your friend.
Yes logic is our friend - you should try some - and logic tells me that if we are not making our laws with respect to religion then the church should not be treated as a religious organisation when evaluating if it should be taxed or not. Simples. The question of it's status as a religion simply should not come into the evaluation at all.

Religion should have nothing to do with it. The company/group itself should be evaluated entirely based on current tax law alone and the decision made whether tax applies to it or not.

It could not be simpler. Bringing religion into the question at all - whether to use religion to suggest it should be taxed - or using religion to suggest it should not be taxed - is the wrong approach.

If someone were to try and say "You can not tax a religion because that would be a law applying to a religion and hence unconstitutional" then they are just twisting it. Giving religions tax excemption for no other reason other than they are a religion is making a law in respect of religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2012, 07:59 PM
 
Location: New York metropolitan area
1,317 posts, read 1,284,558 times
Reputation: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertakerfreak1127 View Post
Tax the bastards. Religion is already in politics in the form of being used as justification for banning abortion, contraception, stem-cell research, gay marriage, teaching evolution and other valid truths, etc.
Wow very ignorant and strong words you use towered religious people! This is not healthy, I've seen you on other threads bashing religious people in a bad way.

Religious people are Americans and pay taxes, we have all rights to vote and decide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2012, 10:10 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,442 posts, read 9,885,235 times
Reputation: 4691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Wow very ignorant and strong words you use towered religious people! This is not healthy, I've seen you on other threads bashing religious people in a bad way.
Given the nasty things you say about Atheists (and especially Jews) you're in absolutely no position to criticize.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 11-22-2012 at 10:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2012, 10:18 PM
 
48,516 posts, read 83,955,483 times
Reputation: 18050
If they tax the churches then they have to prvide service to churches and allow them full rights as taxpayers.It alos means end of sepratio of church and state. Not going to happen as it would not pass even if put to constitutional vote. Likely it would mean a constitutional crisis in the country anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2012, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,289,226 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
If they tax the churches then they have to prvide service to churches and allow them full rights as taxpayers.It alos means end of sepratio of church and state. Not going to happen as it would not pass even if put to constitutional vote. Mnay otehr constitutional amendments more likely actually.
A church is not required to take tax exempt status. They can choose not to.

Do you see many churches not claiming tax exempt status to get all of those "rights"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top