U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 07:44 PM

88 posts, read 621,178 times

Advertisements

I heard about this a long time ago but didn't care then but now I have interest and can't figure out what it was called.

It was about an athiest that wanted to disprove christianity and through his research ended up believing. At least that's the story I recall. Anyone know it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 09:31 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,266,324 times
You might want to look it up at Amazon... in the "fiction" section.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:18 AM

5,460 posts, read 6,038,552 times
This is a common theme among Christian apologetic writers. CS Lewis, Lee Strobel, Josh McDowell, and lots of other Christian authors claim that they used to be atheists. What's interesting is that their portrayal of their pre-conversion life rarely reflects what we see from actual atheists. So not to play the "no true atheist" card, but at best their experience was atypical of what a real "searching" atheist is like. Take it with a grain of salt, at least.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:23 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,237,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwells3030 View Post
I heard about this a long time ago but didn't care then but now I have interest and can't figure out what it was called.

It was about an athiest that wanted to disprove christianity and through his research ended up believing. At least that's the story I recall. Anyone know it?
Could be Lee Strobel. His book "The Case for Christ" has been roundly criticized as he interviewed ONLY Christians. As you can imagine, the book is not very objective. Read "The Case Against the case for Christ", by Robert M. Price for some balance.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:35 PM

59,768 posts, read 57,234,210 times
I had heard when I was a kid and first read Ben-Hur that General Lew Wallace was an atheist but then converted during the research for his book. That's not true, and the rumor existed when Wallace was still alive and he disavowed it, saying he was always a believer but did not belong to any religion or church. Part of the inspiration was that after a conversation with an agnostic, he realized how little he knew about his own religion, and he started writing a story and meticulously researched details of life and the Roman government in that part of the world in the time of Christ.

The atheist novelist who becomes a believer might just be a sort of Christian urban legend.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:19 AM

1,272 posts, read 1,622,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The atheist novelist who becomes a believer might just be a sort of Christian urban legend.
I'd say it most definitely is. Once one has developed an even partially rational mind, it is pretty much impossible to believe in the absurdities of Christianity and The Bible.

I think that the most an atheist could possibly "deconvert" to would be a Deist, which is the most rational of God belief systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism