U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-31-2012, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Funkytown
210 posts, read 226,916 times
Reputation: 131

Advertisements

I thought you guys would find this article interesting. Here is a small part of it:

"A faitheist is essentially an atheist who argues for "politeness"in atheist/ religious discourse, in which the polite path is essentially the atheists shut up."

"So long as religious injustice exists, there will be a market for atheists prepared to claim
the problem is those who speak up against it.

Now the thing of this is that the "New Atheist" community does have some problems, and being the same species from roughly the same culture atheists are not that much better than the religious and there are serious concerns within the atheist movement.

Concerns such as sexism, or racism, or incredibly inept economic views such as libertarianism exist right now. There is such a thing as an atheist right wing.

But that is never the focus of a faitheist, because if it was it would require acknowledging that sexism is wrong in and of itself, and that includes sexism in the holy teachings of various religions."

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterfl...ouldnt-either/


So what are your thought about so-call "faitheists"? Are you one? Is it better to be polite about religion when having a conversation about religion? Is tone more important than our message? Or is it ok to acknowledging that religion is wrong in and of itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-31-2012, 11:07 AM
 
39,220 posts, read 10,895,806 times
Reputation: 5097
Atheists are able to take suggestions, comments and advice from anywhere -atheists, theists or those with some social agenda, and consider then om their merits, not accept or reject them on the basis of whose side the speaker is on.

While I see a lot of benefit in looking to build bridges (one way traffic of course, because we are right ) with the theists there is no fear of being persuaded to 'Shut up'. What we have to say is so needful to say that there is no reason or pretext on earth that is going to silence us.

It is a real concern that we have to look at ways of gaining the moral high ground, too, because religion is only too anxious to draw attention to the dustmote in our high speed lift while overlooking the 4x 4 bar in their collective trousers.

Our status as a herd of cats is one we should treasure and assembling as a pack of wolves does not mean that we have to be turned into slogan - chanting clones. While I would not join in a march with pirate and zoimbie -Jesus costumes with an accompaniment of plastic bugles, I am not going to stop anyone else doing so and I don't expect some militant atheist spitting contempt like an Atheist professor to come sneering at me because I make efforts to stay on the right side of the mods at least, if not the religious posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 11:46 AM
 
584 posts, read 505,049 times
Reputation: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Atheists are able to take suggestions, comments and advice from anywhere -atheists, theists or those with some social agenda, and consider then om their merits, not accept or reject them on the basis of whose side the speaker is on.
All of them? Really? What lovely halos ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Funkytown
210 posts, read 226,916 times
Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker Soule View Post
All of them? Really? What lovely halos ...
I *think* he means that the ideals of atheism would move one accept evidence from all sources in order to investigate. The religious only accept the evidence from thier specific holy book. "All known scientific tests point to the Earth being 4.5 billion years old? Nope, you're wrong because my holy book says it's only 6,000 years old."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,609 posts, read 4,117,789 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Atheists are able to take suggestions, comments and advice from anywhere -atheists, theists or those with some social agenda, and consider then om their merits, not accept or reject them on the basis of whose side the speaker is on.
Yep, that applies to me.

If you want to put a halo on my head, then get in line behind my many admirers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 01:58 PM
 
39,220 posts, read 10,895,806 times
Reputation: 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker Soule View Post
All of them? Really? What lovely halos ...
Like I say, Freeakin atheist saint. Happy Arqsday, pal...whenever that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icametodropbombs View Post
I *think* he means that the ideals of atheism would move one accept evidence from all sources in order to investigate. The religious only accept the evidence from thier specific holy book. "All known scientific tests point to the Earth being 4.5 billion years old? Nope, you're wrong because my holy book says it's only 6,000 years old."
Yep, you have it right. We are willing to accept input from the Holy books and seriously consider, analyze and evaluate it before dumping in the bin along with he herring -bones and old pizza.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-31-2012 at 02:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 11:32 PM
 
Location: Missouri, USA
4,399 posts, read 2,987,797 times
Reputation: 2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by icametodropbombs View Post
I thought you guys would find this article interesting. Here is a small part of it:

"A faitheist is essentially an atheist who argues for "politeness"in atheist/ religious discourse, in which the polite path is essentially the atheists shut up."

"So long as religious injustice exists, there will be a market for atheists prepared to claim
the problem is those who speak up against it.

Now the thing of this is that the "New Atheist" community does have some problems, and being the same species from roughly the same culture atheists are not that much better than the religious and there are serious concerns within the atheist movement.

Concerns such as sexism, or racism, or incredibly inept economic views such as libertarianism exist right now. There is such a thing as an atheist right wing.

But that is never the focus of a faitheist, because if it was it would require acknowledging that sexism is wrong in and of itself, and that includes sexism in the holy teachings of various religions."

Guest post: Why atheists don


So what are your thought about so-call "faitheists"? Are you one? Is it better to be polite about religion when having a conversation about religion? Is tone more important than our message? Or is it ok to acknowledging that religion is wrong in and of itself?
Faitheist here!
Sometimes it's about defending your grandmother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 11:39 PM
 
Location: Lower east side of Toronto
10,586 posts, read 10,783,334 times
Reputation: 9293
The person of faith or the faitheist as you call them are similar...FAITH - the definition is to blindly believe in things you do not understand...and atheist is a person who does not believe in things they do not understand. Or if you give it a twist..an atheist is a person who believes in things they do not understand..neither of these two really understand anything in reality.



One has faith that there is no God- the other has faith that there is a God- but both are blind..neither can see the ultimate reality and truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 12:16 AM
 
Location: Killeen, Texas
17 posts, read 14,876 times
Reputation: 20
Wow, some of the assertions in your link range from stupid (anyone questioning any form of gay-rights activism must believe homophobia doesn't exist), to dangerous (people arguing for politeness in religious discussions SECRETLY mean that atheists should shut up).

I mean, even accepting the label at face value, they're comparing it to an Uncle Tom? Seriously? Was there no room for a quick nazi comparison, to save us time? I know I love being compared to the worst kind of appeasers and self-hating racists!

The drive to categorize and label everything will cause you to miss the truth that even "idiots" are right much of the time, and may even occasionally have something to say that you need to hear.

Last edited by greybuscat; 11-01-2012 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: Grammar, spelling, and/or OCD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 01:13 AM
 
Location: Missouri, USA
4,399 posts, read 2,987,797 times
Reputation: 2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Faitheist here!
Sometimes it's about defending your grandmother.
To be more specific...I don't want atheists to shut up.

However, many, many atheists come from theistic families. We shouldn't desire to split up those groups. Let the individuals decide the best ways in which to express themselves.

The best thing that could happen to the atheist movement, would be for someone to attempt to make atheism illegal, or to create some unfair law against them. It would unify most against what they'd percieve as a threat, and create many, many more people who describe themselves as atheists, therefore resulting in political power.

So if you want to motivate people, encourage the fundamentalists to amend the constitution so that atheists cannot vote. Watch the U.S. become secural within the next decade then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top