Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:32 AM

210 posts, read 269,326 times

Advertisements

What do you think it would look like? Would the world be a better or worse place? I think most people here would agree generally to "better", but let's look at some of the specifics here.

Some ideas to consider:

-Republican politics as they are today wouldn't exist in their current form without religion. Maybe they would be more focused on the fiscal and small government aspects as they once were, instead of legislating gay marriage, abortion, etc.

-Modern science and medicine may become more advanced because there would be less hindrance due to religious objection (stem cells, etc).

-Would charity suffer? All of the church-sponsored soup kitchens wouldn't exist. So where would that type of social support derive from? Additionally, there are typically religious holiday drives like Toys fror Tots, etc. all of which are gone.

-Perhaps we would lose some great art. Naturally non-religious subjects can be inspiring, but inspiration strikes everyone differently, and for some of the great artists of the past religion was that inspiration.

-Stand up comedians would have one less topic to make fun of. What would Bill Maher do?!

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 09:44 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icametodropbombs View Post
What do you think it would look like? Would the world be a better or worse place? I think most people here would agree generally to "better", but let's look at some of the specifics here.

Thoughts?
Religion free society? Well it's been done before. Look to the old Soviet Union. And today we have North Korea. Two fine examples.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:48 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Religion free society? Well it's been done before. Look to the old Soviet Union. And today we have North Korea. Two fine examples.
What about a religion free society in which the government is far more limited than either the old Soviet Union or North Korea?

Explain why atheists would value more power isolated within the government than theists.

I think it'd be a better society because we would need to worry less about members of the government having motivations for their political views that come from inaccurate sources, or citizens voting for elected officials because they have those inaccurate views.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:51 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icametodropbombs View Post

-Would charity suffer? All of the church-sponsored soup kitchens wouldn't exist. So where would that type of social support derive from? Additionally, there are typically religious holiday drives like Toys fror Tots, etc. all of which are gone.

Thoughts?
We already have many atheists doing lots of charity. If religion was not sponsoring the soup kitchens other foundations would step up (or there would be new ones).

See:

Atheists Helping the Homeless

Atheist Charities

Foundation Beyond Belief | Focusing, encouraging, and demonstrating humanistic generosity.

Kansas City Atheist Coalition - THANK THE GODLESS 2012

Old 11-01-2012, 09:53 AM

210 posts, read 269,326 times
Quote:

Straw man.

Norway and Sweden are pretty religion-free, and they have higher standards of living than any other countries on Earth.

So back to the topic, what would it look like if we were truely religion free?

Old 11-01-2012, 10:02 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
North Korea is NOT religion free. The religion is worship of the *dear leader.* The soviet union attempted to make militant atheism the state religion, but never actually succeeded in that. They did repress the churches, though.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:17 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
I actually think it would look either an awful lot like the world we have now, from Denmark to North Korea and all points in between, or it would be almost totally incomprehensible to us now.

If I look at this issue, I have to start from my view of religion. As best as I can tell it is an authority structure meant to form communities, provide uniformity within the community, protect the community from others, and improve the community's lot at the expense of others. It does this by appealing to tradition and authorities, and Gods are just the highest manifestation of an unquestionable authority figure.

The formation and adherence to these structures is something that is kind of built into the way we think and the way we form groups by family, language and shared culture. I think there we are evolutionarily predisposed to use hierarchy and appeals to authority to form and protect our sense of community and belonging.

Thus, if we could remove religion as it exists today, without changing humanity, we would in short order reinvent structures that served the same purpose and, even if they did not have deities, would look remarkably like "religion". I think examples of this are specifically the near deification of "the State" in many Communist countries, or the cult-like "Dear Leader" approach. In short, if we removed religion, we would recreate it in some form very quickly

The alternative is instead of magically removing religion, we wave our wand and remove the propensity of humans to form social groups based on a hierarchical authority structure. In this case, I am not sure I can begin to imagine how we would turn out. It would certainly change the way we thought about family, community, nations, religions, ideologies, and a host of other things that are all related to the social grouping that appears to be the basis for religion.

-NoCapo

Old 11-01-2012, 12:07 PM

26 posts, read 27,820 times
It would perhaps look like former Soviet Union, and today's Cuba, North Korea, and most of China.

Sorry, but fundamentalist religion and atheism are equally evil.

Orthodox Judaism, Militant Islam, & Fundamentalist Christians = EVIL.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:46 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Forgive me if I'm wrong but... isn't that a church back there on Red Square, all front and center on the most iconic piece of real estate in the Communist world?

And the Jong ill wackadoodles? They are "deified sons of heaven"; Kim could even control the weather with his mind.... or at least that's what his followers believed.

I could be wrong but this all sounds religious to me.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:02 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
I
Thus, if we could remove religion as it exists today, without changing humanity, we would in short order reinvent structures that served the same purpose and, even if they did not have deities, would look remarkably like "religion". I think examples of this are specifically the near deification of "the State" in many Communist countries, or the cult-like "Dear Leader" approach. In short, if we removed religion, we would recreate it in some form very quickly

-NoCapo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Forgive me if I'm wrong but... isn't that a church back there on Red Square, all front and center on the most iconic piece of real estate in the Communist world?

And the Jong ill wackadoodles? They are "deified sons of heaven"; Kim could even control the weather with his mind.... or at least that's what his followers believed.

I could be wrong but this all sounds religious to me.
As to the church in red square that was there before the commies came to power and banned religion. A church building is just a building. As to Jong, see NoCapo's post. The Jong fellow is "worshiped" by atheists. Kinda ironic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism