U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 03:13 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,394,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoMai View Post
One of the reasons why I don't claim to be an Atheist or Religious person ever.
Atheism seems to be very dangerous (Like Religion) too...
Oh, please Did you even read the article? It was just satire to show that it's not atheists who are actually shoving their beliefs down people's throats. You remind me of this:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 11:07 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,870,599 times
Just showed this to my super christian fundamentalist brother; he was shocked that atheists do such things. I knew he wouldn't get it.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:34 PM

4,376 posts, read 2,983,422 times
Quote:
I could see worrying about a sort of superior group mindset, in the case of the nonreligious becomming a majority in the U.S. Right now I don't see religion-bashing as a problem for the most part. It seems like more controversial language has a way of temporarily increasing hostility, but over the long term making such controversial statements more acceptable. We could use more acceptance of the idea of a lack of a belief in a god, God, or gods, and yelling about it might push that along, over the long term.

What I sincerely hope, is that similar attitudes do not continue in the event that the U.S. population becomes primarily secular. Ten times as many people telling theists how dumb they are would not be a good thing. Japan and Norway and other nations with high levels of prosperity and high percentages of their populations being secular don't seem to have that problem, so hopefully if the elephant that is aggressive fundamentalist religious groups in certain areas leaves the room, those angry nontheists will become sated.

Although...Americans are probably more willing to express their emotions than persons of many societies, and many largely secular nations were not once so overwhelminghly theistic...so perhaps the anger of the shouting nontheists will remain.

Ah well. I figure I'll just let'em yell and in some cases be supportive because of the elephant sitting on their back, and if they ever grow into a bigger animal, say a humpback whale, who sits on the elephant's back, I'll start yelling at the whale...or yell now if they do something particularly irritating and without visible purpose.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:00 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,598,803 times
Quote:
icametodropbombs
I got more rhymes than the Bible's got Psalms?

Old 11-06-2012, 07:04 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,598,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Just showed this to my super christian fundamentalist brother; he was shocked that atheists do such things. I knew he wouldn't get it.
Yeah irony and satire are lost on them. If you want some real fun send him a news story from The Onion.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 AM

7,442 posts, read 9,890,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Oh, please Did you even read the article? It was just satire to show that it's not atheists who are actually shoving their beliefs down people's throats.
I'd say that's true in most parts of the country. But there are some microcosmic pockets where high degrees of affluence, education, and social liberalism turns atheists into the enlightened and the highly religious into social outcasts. Obviously, the "damage" done is not equivalent, given that organized religion is, by definition, organized, and atheists form into small bands at best. But they can definitely be just as annoying on an individual level.

One of these atheists told me I wasn't "really an atheist" because I still identified with my Jewish upbringing on an ethnic and cultural level.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:08 PM

8,398 posts, read 9,897,422 times
I love it! Totally funny!

I'd like to add: Easter-We can call it Ouster - The day we realized nobody was rising! We can keep the Bunny as a mascot and eggs because hey, who doesn't love Cadbury eggs and why waste food. The Bunny was just an innocent victim all along.

Atheistmas is priceless! I'm using this as I type. Nice way to lighten up the holidays, since I'm ruining them anyway.

I think it's nice to have fun with it actually, otherwise it's just scary, really scary if you give it thought.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:13 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,570,031 times
Quote:
How is atheism dangerous???? Clear, logical thinking scares you???

Old 11-28-2012, 12:16 PM

8,398 posts, read 9,897,422 times
Quote:
Yes, any group who starts to defend itself becomes dangerous. Just stay out of the way so you don't get hurt. The closets a good place I hear. Atheists aren't a religion, we are just people and some of us are f-ing funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism