U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2012, 12:51 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,811,608 times
Reputation: 16147

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
There's only one and only God.
Absolutely. FSM for the win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2012, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Near Nashville TN
7,201 posts, read 11,917,487 times
Reputation: 5387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Same.

I'm usually thankful for the good things in my life, my health, my husband, job, family, friends, my home etc.

You can be thankful and feel blessed without religion.
Amen sister Crabcakes. I don't see Thanksgiving as a religious holiday at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2012, 07:57 PM
 
Location: On the Edge of the Fringe
4,891 posts, read 3,980,500 times
Reputation: 4138
I see it as a day to be thankful, not to some non-existant deity, but to those who make life good.

My son came home from school and told me about the discussion they had at school regarding the first thanksgiving. more realistic than the one we had years ago I am sure.
He pointed out that the pilgrams were "outcasts" of sorts
I pointed out that they were also "outcasts" for a reason. They felt persecuted for their religion, when what they desired was to be the persecutors, not the persecutees. As I pointed out, they were basically undesirables. had no qualms of killing the godless savages.

I can be thankful that I do not have to live around or be subjected to the religious bs of such a group today....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2012, 09:21 PM
 
Location: New York metropolitan area
1,317 posts, read 1,285,556 times
Reputation: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Amen sister Crabcakes. I don't see Thanksgiving as a religious holiday at all.
"Amen" is a Christian word we uses at church

Of course you won't see Thanksgiving a religious holiday, because I bet you tries to make all religious holiday for secular to favor your non-belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2012, 08:06 AM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
10,946 posts, read 8,263,546 times
Reputation: 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
There's only one and only God.
And let me guess, you and your religion are the only ones who have the truth of the matter, right?

The entire rest of the world and their history are wrong because you say so.

And before your particular brand of religion came along, everyone "worshiped" incorrectly, right?

Nothing like a religious bigot who continually speaks without thought or fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2012, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,398 posts, read 9,900,280 times
Reputation: 7441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
"Amen" is a Christian word we uses at church

Of course you won't see Thanksgiving a religious holiday, because I bet you tries to make all religious holiday for secular to favor your non-belief.
I can see you're wishing us a happy T-giving by trolling around our thread. Thanks for that.
Oh, and might I ad, good luck with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,398 posts, read 9,900,280 times
Reputation: 7441
I do treat all traditions as just that. Traditions. They are a handed down version of our history.
I celebrate our history but not for the sake of God, just for the sake of being a human being. We make do with what we see fit. We try and survive, and sometimes we need to celebrate. It's all good.

I can't wait for a feast with my fam, I'm thankful we've all made it this far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,881 posts, read 7,313,847 times
Reputation: 5139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Of course you won't see Thanksgiving a religious holiday, because I bet you tries to make all religious holiday for secular to favor your non-belief.
No, we just celebrate the holidays in a secular way. Religion has never really been apart of my Thanksgiving and Xmas holidays since I was a child. I celebrate family coming together, gift-giving, caroling, decorations, Santa Claus, etc. No religion needed.

It just bothers you that we can have these holidays without your religion! Also that we can have morals and happy, healthy productive lives all without your religion. It bothers you so much that you run around Citydata trying you best to make non-believes feel guilty and bad and completely fail at each attempt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 12:04 PM
 
Location: The analog world
17,086 posts, read 9,884,876 times
Reputation: 22750
Our agnostic Thanksgiving begins in late October with a gratitude tree. First, the children retrieve a fallen limb from the wooded area near our home that my husband trims and hangs from a beam separating our dining room from our family room. Throughout the month, we write notes of thanks on decorative paper and hang them from the branch. Before our Thanksgiving meal, we take them down and read them. It's a beautiful way to share our love and gratitude with one another before the season of giving commences, and it's one of my kids' favorite holiday traditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
2,438 posts, read 4,229,611 times
Reputation: 2626
Here's how to start a Thanksgiving celebration:

http://matt.baya.net/thanksgiving-uncle-daves-grace/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top