U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2012, 07:19 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times
Reputation: 9029

Advertisements

"Atheist's Christmas" thread would be more interesting,

We just take advantage of it and go see family and friends, free food, we still buy presents, we dont put up decorations because we're to lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2012, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Vermont
10,306 posts, read 11,218,948 times
Reputation: 14186
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
One ca n be thankful without being externally thankful TO someone or something.
How? That makes no sense at all. The very nature of being thankful is that some external entity has done something for you, or that you benefit from.

I enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas, but for me they have nothing to do with the religious underpinnings of the holidays. (Yes, Christians, it's true: as an atheist I don't believe in the Roman god Saturn, even though he is the reason for the season.)

For me, and probably for most atheists I know, the purpose of the holidays is to spend time with family and enjoy traditional meals and practices (including the exchanging of gifts).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2012, 07:04 PM
 
Location: New York metropolitan area
1,317 posts, read 1,283,665 times
Reputation: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
No, we just celebrate the holidays in a secular way. Religion has never really been apart of my Thanksgiving and Xmas holidays since I was a child. I celebrate family coming together, gift-giving, caroling, decorations, Santa Claus, etc. No religion needed.

It just bothers you that we can have these holidays without your religion! Also that we can have morals and happy, healthy productive lives all without your religion. It bothers you so much that you run around Citydata trying you best to make non-believes feel guilty and bad and completely fail at each attempt.
Christmas is a pure religious holiday, even according to all websites, books, US federal, etc. and nobody could deny that. Why would an atheist want to celebrate Christs' birth when you don't believe in him? It's like me going and celebrating a Muslim holiday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2012, 07:21 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,759,971 times
Reputation: 16146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Christmas is a pure religious holiday, even according to all websites, books, US federal, etc. and nobody could deny that. Why would an atheist want to celebrate Christs' birth when you don't believe in him? It's like me going and celebrating a Muslim holiday
It is very easy to put up a tree, talk about Santa and never once mention jesus or religion. I'm sure thousands of families do this every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2012, 07:27 PM
 
Location: New York metropolitan area
1,317 posts, read 1,283,665 times
Reputation: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
It is very easy to put up a tree, talk about Santa and never once mention jesus or religion. I'm sure thousands of families do this every year.
You may not be mentioning Christ, but you still think of him, and know about the reason for the holiday.
Probably because of the name of the holiday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2012, 07:30 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,759,971 times
Reputation: 16146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
You may not be mentioning Christ, but you still think of him, and know about the reason for the holiday.
Probably because of the name of the holiday.
So now you claim to know what everyone thinks. Are you saying you are god?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2012, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,881 posts, read 7,305,657 times
Reputation: 5139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Christmas is a pure religious holiday, even according to all websites, books, US federal, etc. and nobody could deny that. Why would an atheist want to celebrate Christs' birth when you don't believe in him? It's like me going and celebrating a Muslim holiday
We don't celebrate Christ's birth, we celebrate a secular or non-religious holiday, which by the way is much more fun! Has NOTHING to do with Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2012, 08:00 PM
 
Location: New York metropolitan area
1,317 posts, read 1,283,665 times
Reputation: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So now you claim to know what everyone thinks. Are you saying you are god?
No but be honest. When you hear the word "Christmas", or see any Christmas symbols/decorations, you absolutely don't think anything at all about Jesus or Christian(ity)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2012, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,881 posts, read 7,305,657 times
Reputation: 5139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
No but be honest. When you hear the word "Christmas", or see any Christmas symbols/decorations, you absolutely don't think anything at all about Jesus or Christian(ity)?
I can't honestly say I don't. I wasn't raised to associate Christmas with Jesus or Christianity. I associate it more with Santa Clause, Xmas trees and gifts than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2012, 08:48 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,759,971 times
Reputation: 16146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
No but be honest. When you hear the word "Christmas", or see any Christmas symbols/decorations, you absolutely don't think anything at all about Jesus or Christian(ity)?
Not for a single second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top