U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 07:19 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times

Advertisements

"Atheist's Christmas" thread would be more interesting,

We just take advantage of it and go see family and friends, free food, we still buy presents, we dont put up decorations because we're to lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 11:12 AM

10,306 posts, read 11,218,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
One ca n be thankful without being externally thankful TO someone or something.
How? That makes no sense at all. The very nature of being thankful is that some external entity has done something for you, or that you benefit from.

I enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas, but for me they have nothing to do with the religious underpinnings of the holidays. (Yes, Christians, it's true: as an atheist I don't believe in the Roman god Saturn, even though he is the reason for the season.)

For me, and probably for most atheists I know, the purpose of the holidays is to spend time with family and enjoy traditional meals and practices (including the exchanging of gifts).

Old 11-23-2012, 07:04 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,283,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
No, we just celebrate the holidays in a secular way. Religion has never really been apart of my Thanksgiving and Xmas holidays since I was a child. I celebrate family coming together, gift-giving, caroling, decorations, Santa Claus, etc. No religion needed.

It just bothers you that we can have these holidays without your religion! Also that we can have morals and happy, healthy productive lives all without your religion. It bothers you so much that you run around Citydata trying you best to make non-believes feel guilty and bad and completely fail at each attempt.
Christmas is a pure religious holiday, even according to all websites, books, US federal, etc. and nobody could deny that. Why would an atheist want to celebrate Christs' birth when you don't believe in him? It's like me going and celebrating a Muslim holiday

Old 11-23-2012, 07:21 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,759,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Christmas is a pure religious holiday, even according to all websites, books, US federal, etc. and nobody could deny that. Why would an atheist want to celebrate Christs' birth when you don't believe in him? It's like me going and celebrating a Muslim holiday
It is very easy to put up a tree, talk about Santa and never once mention jesus or religion. I'm sure thousands of families do this every year.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
It is very easy to put up a tree, talk about Santa and never once mention jesus or religion. I'm sure thousands of families do this every year.
You may not be mentioning Christ, but you still think of him, and know about the reason for the holiday.
Probably because of the name of the holiday.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
You may not be mentioning Christ, but you still think of him, and know about the reason for the holiday.
Probably because of the name of the holiday.
So now you claim to know what everyone thinks. Are you saying you are god?

Old 11-23-2012, 07:39 PM

3,881 posts, read 7,305,657 times
Quote:
We don't celebrate Christ's birth, we celebrate a secular or non-religious holiday, which by the way is much more fun! Has NOTHING to do with Jesus.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So now you claim to know what everyone thinks. Are you saying you are god?
No but be honest. When you hear the word "Christmas", or see any Christmas symbols/decorations, you absolutely don't think anything at all about Jesus or Christian(ity)?

Old 11-23-2012, 08:15 PM

3,881 posts, read 7,305,657 times
Quote:
No but be honest. When you hear the word "Christmas", or see any Christmas symbols/decorations, you absolutely don't think anything at all about Jesus or Christian(ity)?
I can't honestly say I don't. I wasn't raised to associate Christmas with Jesus or Christianity. I associate it more with Santa Clause, Xmas trees and gifts than anything else.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Not for a single second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism