U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 12:23 AM

30,824 posts, read 33,678,562 times

Advertisements

Christmas has never been about the birth of Jesus in my non religious family. I never even went to a church until I was a teenager and went with friends to theirs. Sure, I see the Nativity sets in the stores and I know the stories, but they are decorations to me, like a wreaths on the door and inflatable snowmen on the lawn.

Easter is about bunnies and colored eggs and baskets full of candy.

See how easy it is to celebrate a holiday without being religious? I celebrate St Patricks with corned beef and shamrocks...and I'm not even Irish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 PM

260 posts, read 822,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Nunnor always makes outlandish statements. On any topic. And finds a way to bring religion into all of them.
And apparently can't read or feels rules are above "him" (her?)... whatever...

When it clearly states at the beginning of this forum:

"This sub-forum is not the place for proselytizing or attempting to convert atheists or agnostics. It is meant for atheists and agnostics interested in discussions among themselves and for others who want to learn more about this worldview and are interested in posing non-confrontational questions to atheists or agnostics. Use our main Religion and Philosophy forum if you want to debate the merits of this worldview (but do a search first to see if your topics have already been discussed)."

Old 11-29-2012, 01:28 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,389,923 times
I think all people who study nowadays religions should first study heathen rituals / ancient religions..Schools should start out by telling it like it is and kids and grown ups wouldn't be so sure theirs is the only real/true religion.... but then that would mean so many wouldn't blindly believe, wouldn't it????? that's what zealots are scared of..the truth!

Old 11-29-2012, 02:27 AM

986 posts, read 1,184,381 times
I consider myself as an Agnostic! So, bring on any Holiday religious or not, I'll celebrate it, but only American Holidays!

Old 11-30-2012, 04:17 AM

260 posts, read 822,549 times
I agree that everyone should study religion and history since they are pretty much connected and one often dictates how the other one will be used and defined politically. Religions has always been political, the whole purpose of the church was to control the masses. The reasons for doing so have changed slightly depending on the religion or denomination. I'm appalled that so few people actually know the history of their own religion let alone anyone else's. It's been my experience that most Pagans and Atheists are actually much more educated when it comes to both history and religion... I would guess that most of both of those religions were raised in a Christian household and rejected those teachings and went looking for reasons of the teachings, what others teach and believe, and if there was anything else better to believe in. I've been a seeker for most of my life and I've been a member of many Christian denominations and several non-Christian religions. People who are content to remain a Christian rarely question the teachings of the church they belong to. But those who have left the church have lots of questions and are constantly looking for answers. And those that were raised in an Atheist or Agnostic household probably had their questions about religion answered honestly or were encouraged to find out, without worrying about if it conflicted with church teachings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism