Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 05:57 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times

Advertisements

SO I was surfing on the 'Net tonite for something profound and suitable for an atheistic perspective on Thanksgiving. Did not find much, though some aspects of the traditional theistic Thanksgiving struck me as amusing
"Oh Dear Lord, Thank You for our Material Excess while non-Christians in Africa and Asia are starving. Than you for all the opportunities to ship for more material goods to satisfy our desires and provide meaning for us in our lives etc etc" (Paraphrased from here http://livinglifewithoutanet.wordpress.com/2011/11/21/thanksgiving-what-it-means-for-this-atheist/ With add-ons)

So where does that leave us who are non-theists ? We do not need to Thank some non-existant deity for providing these material excesses for us. Perhaps we should think our employers who are paying us so that we can afford these things? Or should we think our college professors who taught us the things we use daily on our jobs? Something like
Hi Professor so and so? This is large Cat from your Microbiology class, thank you again for inspiring me to pursue a degree and work in medicine...yes..that's right...it is thanksgiving..OK just giving thanks where thanks is due....

OK SO I am Thankful, Not to any deity, or religion, but maybe to life in general for givving me talents and opportunities and enough intelligence to pursue them. Should I be thankful to a deity for providing food? NO, I bought that food. I worked hard to get the money to BUY that food. (I have also bought food for others on Thanksgiving, more on that later) Thank ME for sending in the food to others as I did. Or thank the food growers for growing the green beans we are eating and the wheat which is made into the flour we make for bread. Or thank the truck driver who delivered it.

Maybe it is not so much as Thankful, but satisfied. Or accepting. I accept that I do not need material goods to bring me happiness. I hope I am not so shallow that I would come across as such.

But Thankful? Maybe I should thank the wife, she works too makes very good money. Maybe thanks should go to her, without here, we would have no family.

Maybe I should think our nations deistic founding fathers, those who formed a nation for religious freedom, So I am not forced to bow dofwn to someone elses concept of a diety. Or be fined for celebrating some holiday I choose to celebrate, like they used to do in massachusetts......

Where does a deity fall into all of this? And where does having a Thankful Disposition require belief in, or gratitude towards, a deity?

My answer is Nowhere. Without a Deity, I clearly have appreciation and respect for those for whom have provided positive guidance and inspiration to me in my life. Thus, it cannot be said that Thanksgiving is for "Christians only". I am Thankful for my life. I am happy, content, accepting and pleased to ahve a day to spend eating , relaxing, playing games, watching football, drinking, or whatever I choose to do with my family. Maybe we will all go down and help serve meals to the homeless. That would be fine too. (Maybe when the kids get a little older) Or just relax and do nothing. After all, a thankful person has those choices.

Oh and THANKS to all of you for reading this and putting up with my occasional frequent rants here on CD Forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 05:59 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I have never associated Thanksgiving with religion at all.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:41 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Same here....if anything, there has been a sociopolitical movement to reject the myth of pilgrims & Indians living in harmony.
In San Francisco, there is an American Indian powwow on Alcatraz Island every Thanksgiving morning.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:51 PM

753 posts, read 728,052 times
I associate Thanksgiving with the good cheer of a family gathering.

Catching up with family members not seen in months, and enjoying the company of others that I see more often. Good food and a few beers. The ubiquitous football game(s).

I don't associate Thanksgiving with thanking the Judeo-Christian-Islamic deity anymore than I associate it (or any other Thursday) with Thor.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:29 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
Other than the occasional extended family member wanting to say grace before eating, I've never associated it with religion at all.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:48 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I have never associated Thanksgiving with religion at all.
Same.

I'm usually thankful for the good things in my life, my health, my husband, job, family, friends, my home etc.

You can be thankful and feel blessed without religion.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:38 PM

344 posts, read 396,102 times
I no longer associate any holiday with religion. Christmas is about being with friends and family, giving, and graciously receiving gifts not necessarily desired. I think back about being a little girl and storming into the living room on Christmas morning and seeing all the wrapped gifts, and watching It's A Wonderful Life for the 20th time. Easter is about hiding chocolate Easter eggs from kids, and/or adults who are young-at-heart.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:45 PM

553 posts, read 1,272,344 times
For me, Thanksgiving is about food and football.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:55 AM

260 posts, read 926,167 times
We thank the turkey for giving up his life for our dinner.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:07 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
One ca n be thankful without being externally thankful TO someone or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism