U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 01:25 AM

583 posts, read 1,498,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
But I'd be incredibly unconvincing pretending to make an offering to the god of the printer. We all know it's an inanimate object, why would I lie to my kids for no benefit? The easter bunny has a benefit (chocolate), and I won't continue the lie into adulthood.
i am not telling you to lie to a kid the easterbunny sant and the tooth fairy and the great pumpking are part of being a kid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 01:37 AM

3,946 posts, read 4,164,884 times
I imagine if I were to raise children, as a non-religious person, mostly agnostic leaning atheist, I believe in the importance to help my kids decide what makes most sense to them.

I'm open to various cultures and beliefs, and wouldn't mind taking them to church or other places of religious practices that may appeal to them (synagogues, temples, mosques). I'll probably be waitin in the car while I thump up some music.

I wouldn't promote the idea of Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny.

I'd definitely tell them Columbus wasn't a saint, and would inform them more about the harsh realities of life (ex- take them to visit the homeless community, expose them to poverty) and balance their experiences out with the comforts of life (such as art, music, poetry, love, and all the ingenuinities one can imagine).

In other words, I want well-rounded kids. I want them to be able to think for themselves, and not to take what I or others say at face value. Creative thinking and the ability to question are two qualities I'd love to highly emphasize!

Old 11-27-2012, 08:38 AM

8,398 posts, read 9,922,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think though many of us may be born with a rudimentary feeling of fair play, life has a way of destroying that and by the time we have jobs in major corporations it is situation ethics that rules, whatever furthers me along is justified. And these mental climates are probably with childhood values having been taught, week after week.

Part of the reason, I think, for the Scandinavian sense of fair play is because of a society that will protect you if you fall. The threat of absolute ruin is not there the way it is in capitalistic societies.

Then again, if the masses turn the other cheek, then the sharks stand a better chance of monetary success, no?
I think you're right. Choosing to give up when society has your back is different than in other countries such as America. When basic human needs are sold it does become a different playing field. I can see what you mean.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 AM

8,398 posts, read 9,922,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I like your pen theory a lot, but it can only be taken so far.
We try to repair the pens that are reparable, but the one's coming off the assembly line too severely defected, or that cost too much to fix, what - trash?
Well, jail I suppose. It's hard to swallow but sometimes there are people who just can't function regardless of help. They usually end up killing people and eventually in prison or die. Just life.

We like to think there is a solution to every problem, don't we? Well again we do like to try and fix a problem but like everything some just aren't fixable.

When you think of it, some Scandanavian countries are probably majority atheist and they seem to have smoothly running societies. Not many wars recently, either.
Yes, I think like goldengrain said their societies have social safety nets. I think that really helps them run smoothly. A capitalist society has an overall greedy, competitive sense to it. It can't be helped when growing up surrounded by competition in regards to health and education. It takes money to be healthy and educated.

Some places like Germany don't have people who have to sink that far down. Health and education are covered by society, you only compete for the rest of it. It's less of a savage mentality and I'm sure helps those pens who don't function as well by allowing them ongoing treatment. They might not be able to afford such treatment in say America for example. That leaves a bunch of pens running around un medicated so to speak. We have welfare but that creates a welfare mentality and a guilt for being ill or unskilled.

I don't think religion could replace social health or education or they would have done this here in America already. They've had quite a while. This only gives a false sense of hope to people who already have a hard time functioning. Plus, most religious people I've talked to don't want to help support others on their dime. Most are republican and think hard work and God will save us all. I guess in their world that would mean heaven is a solution.

Last edited by PoppySead; 11-27-2012 at 09:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism