U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-20-2012, 01:20 AM
 
3,577 posts, read 4,264,115 times
Reputation: 3084

Advertisements

Santa Monica may bar Nativity scenes in public areas, judge rules - latimes.com

Big legal win for Atheism: No more nativity scenes on public property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2012, 11:29 PM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,943 posts, read 4,904,358 times
Reputation: 1338
Religionist corruption will never end. They will always seek to shout their lies from street corners like the hypocrites do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,395 posts, read 10,089,574 times
Reputation: 7467
I'm glad to see this. Anyone can decorate in reference to their religions or traditions in their yards or places of worship. That's how it should be. No religions left out. It's a start to equality as well as religious freedom.

It's hard to feel free when there's one dominant religious presence. It's not just a win for those of us who don't believe in anything mythical but it's also a win for other non-christian religions. Dominance shouldn't play a part in freedoms given. It defeats the purpose.

Someone who is Jewish or Muslim shouldn't have to feel their government is dominated by Christians. I don't have to feel that way either. It's just a personal belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 02:08 PM
 
Location: New York metropolitan area
1,316 posts, read 1,319,041 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I'm glad to see this. Anyone can decorate in reference to their religions or traditions in their yards or places of worship. That's how it should be. No religions left out. It's a start to equality as well as religious freedom.

It's hard to feel free when there's one dominant religious presence. It's not just a win for those of us who don't believe in anything mythical but it's also a win for other non-christian religions. Dominance shouldn't play a part in freedoms given. It defeats the purpose.

Someone who is Jewish or Muslim shouldn't have to feel their government is dominated by Christians. I don't have to feel that way either. It's just a personal belief.
You are wrong. America has always been culturally and historically a Christian nation, and have always been dominated by Christians. Jews and Muslims (and all other non-Christians) should respect this, and I'm sure they do respect it. Yes, we have mostly a secular government, but we still have Christian holidays and culture observed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 06:50 PM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
10,946 posts, read 8,422,361 times
Reputation: 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
You are wrong. America has always been culturally and historically a Christian nation, and have always been dominated by Christians. Jews and Muslims (and all other non-Christians) should respect this, and I'm sure they do respect it. Yes, we have mostly a secular government, but we still have Christian holidays and culture observed it.
It's called tradition. Has nothing to do with religion, at least not anymore.

Personally, it doesn't bother me other than as a huge waste of public funds that could be better used elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2012, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
8,780 posts, read 9,565,457 times
Reputation: 14112
Another victory for intolerance! One more step towards the time when no one will be able to express their views or beliefs in public, because someone is "offended".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2012, 03:39 PM
 
12,540 posts, read 12,870,634 times
Reputation: 28920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Another victory for intolerance! One more step towards the time when no one will be able to express their views or beliefs in public, because someone is "offended".
This law is only there to ensure that tax dollars are not going toward promoting religion on public lands. You can express your views on your own property all you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2012, 04:00 PM
 
7,379 posts, read 6,854,884 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Another victory for intolerance! One more step towards the time when no one will be able to express their views or beliefs in public, because someone is "offended".
Funny that it was the atheist display that got vandalized. I think that explains who the intolerant groups are, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2012, 04:23 PM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
10,946 posts, read 8,422,361 times
Reputation: 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Another victory for intolerance! One more step towards the time when no one will be able to express their views or beliefs in public, because someone is "offended".
Do you include atheists and their views in your statement? It certainly seems that you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2012, 06:27 PM
 
1,272 posts, read 1,621,566 times
Reputation: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Santa Monica may bar Nativity scenes in public areas, judge rules - latimes.com

Big legal win for Atheism: No more nativity scenes on public property.
Rather, a big legal win for those who support the secular principles our nation and constitution are founded upon.
Really nothing to do with atheism

Last edited by MrBlueSky_; 11-25-2012 at 06:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top