Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:44 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,978 times

Advertisements

I didn't even know that we have atheists in Kentucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 09:06 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I didn't even know that we have atheists in Kentucky.
I think you have a few!

The Lexington Atheists Meetup Group (Lexington, KY) - Meetup

Louisville Atheists and Freethinkers (Louisville, KY) - Meetup

Murray Freethought Society (Murray, KY) - Meetup

Owensboro Freethinkers (Owensboro, KY) - Meetup

Local Groups | Kentucky Secular Society

Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,978 times

Thanks for the info, but all the people I know have a faith they follow and aren't atheists. I know someone in Florida, I think he is or agnostic. Recently Terry Meiner's Radio/Talk show had a guy he interviewed that was atheist. He asked him questions like "what do atheists say when someone sneezes". Quite interesting from the little I caught of it.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:22 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info, but all the people I know have a faith they follow and aren't atheists. I know someone in Florida, I think he is or agnostic. Recently Terry Meiner's Radio/Talk show had a guy he interviewed that was atheist. He asked him questions like "what do atheists say when someone sneezes". Quite interesting from the little I caught of it.
Most people, to gain acceptance and to further their life's goals, will conform to whatever is around them. Some communities have a mix of religious beliefs, leaving the individual to form opinions based on his own independent research. Other communities put a lot of pressure on a person to conform. A percentage of them are just going along to get along.

There were people posting on CD who say their jobs or at least promotions were on the line if they did not go to church or even if they were not members of the right kind of church.

There are not lower crime rates in the bible belt. In fact, some areas have higher crime rates and even divorce rates. So, I think a lot of people just go through the form of Christianity and don't really take it to heart. You should be able to tell a spiritual person by the way he lives his life and not the words that come out of his mouth or the regularity of church attendance.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Ya, as an atheist myself that sneezing one is difficult. I'm still baffled on what to say after a sneeze. Then there's always that long pause before we eat.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
Are you saying that preachers should not hold office?

Charles Sands
Yes! Nor should a witch doctor should be the administrator of a hospital...

Old 12-03-2012, 10:04 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Is it only me that can see this country going in the toilet ,largely because of the blatent fight against reverence toward God ?
Yes, it's you. People came to this country fleeing FROM countries that revered God

Quote:
Because a reverence for God usually generates honesty and accountability,knowing one will have to stand before his creator one day.
A quick study of history and reality shows this statement to be utterly absurd and hysterically funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism