U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:06 AM

8,395 posts, read 10,093,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
You don't have to be a Christian to celebrate Christmas. I'm an atheist but I love Christmas and other holidays. For me it's just a time to get together with family, eat a lovely dinner, watch movies together, decorate the Christmas tree, walk through the snow, etc. Who on earth wants to work on Christmas day?
I do as well. I love the tree and Santa part, and the Easter Bunny and Eggs part of both holidays. Fun stuff. Like Halloween, just a good time.
I don't do the religious end of it so they could call it "fun festive day for Santa" for all I care. Doesn't matter if it's specified as Christmas or not. If they change the name then why would I care, I just want the day off to play "fun festival day" lol

Old 11-30-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
It's an attempt to make their religion sound special. You know, everyone else has a religion (roll eyes in contempt at their silliness) but I have a personal relationship with the creator of the known universe (insert smug look here).
Ya, I think there is a little jealousy of the Jews there. The chosen ones gets on the Christian nerve.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:29 AM

4,168 posts, read 5,196,549 times
I'd rather keep Christmas as a national holiday. It's a day off from work and an excuse to feast.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:36 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,204,209 times
Christmas in America is barely even a religious holiday. I mean, it still is for some, but even most Christians I know celebrate it more secularly than religiously.

Keep it around. It's fun.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:57 AM

4,704 posts, read 4,655,945 times
I don't think of Christmas as particularly religious. I think most Christians know that Dec 25 is not the birthday of Jesus, in fact a lot of Christians don't even celebrate Christmas because they consider it pagan and evil.

In the immortal words of George Costanza........a Festivus for the rest of us!!!! (I laugh every time I think of that line!)

Old 11-30-2012, 05:23 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,806,606 times
Schools in my area call it the Winter Break.
To be fair, every religion should have their holidays off.
I don't think our society would do well with that, so it is better to have a winter and spring break that all can enjoy and which just happen to fall on Christmas and Easter.

What would happen to our economy if there were no Christmas gift exchanges?
Black Friday is called that because it is traditionally the time of year when businesses, opened for over ten months, start to clear expenses and make a profit.

Even the Japanese, not Christian, have a winter holiday in which they exchange gifts. It's a nice tradition.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:00 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,319,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
England had Queens who ruled by religion as well. It is a part of their culture and history. It's not American history. We were never under religious rule, or had beheading if we weren't Christian.
Evil occurence have happened throughout the history by all religions and non-religions, including under State Atheism of Soviet Union. Has nothing to do with the Christmas holiday celebration.

Quote:
There is no real reason to observe Christmas as a federal holiday, we just adopted it when the Christians were trying again to get America to be a Christian Nation. They tried to change the constitution as well but that didn't work and was thrown out.

Are you kidding? You're trying to destroy the cultural and historical largest holiday celebrated for centuries and even today by 96% of Americans?! Only 80% of Americans are Christians, and additional 16% celebrate it for secular reasons.

Even if some Christians may have tried to change the constitution, there's absolutely no reason to get rid of Christmas as a holiday celebrated in this nation. Christmas is celebrated by many non-Christians as well, even in other countries where Christians make up the minority.

Quote:
Christmas can be unadopted if the majority decides. It might very well change one day, as might the money we spend. In the future we are going to be populated with more of a variety of religious belief as well as lack of belief. Things will change to reflect this. That's how we roll.
You really believe people want to vote out Christmas from being celebrated?! LOL
Christmas is everybody's favorite holiday, and has been celebrated almost forever whether for religious or secular reasons. Retailers love it as well. Everyone loves Christmas! Anybody who hates it are basically Anti-Christian, Anti-Christmas, and bigots who tries to destroy everything in the American society to be miserable! Gashh.. cannot believe people like you even agree with Silverman.

PS! Christians will always make up the majority, and there's NO way the 5% of other religions will catch up and become majority even with the immigration. America will be turned into more Catholic due to immigration and high birth of Hispanic and many Asians

Some countries with high number of Atheists/Non-Religious still celebrate Christmas and Easter for cultural and traditional reason.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:10 PM

12,540 posts, read 12,877,877 times
I say we get the 12 days of Christmas, the 8 days of Hanukkah, the week of Kwanzaa, and, in accordance with Pastafarianism, Holiday, which doesn't really have a day but is important to celebrate in recognition of being touched by His Noodly Appendage.

R'amen.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:22 PM

21,035 posts, read 19,883,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Evil occurence have happened throughout the history by all religions and non-religions, including under State Atheism of Soviet Union. Has nothing to do with the Christmas holiday celebration.

Are you kidding? You're trying to destroy the cultural and historical largest holiday celebrated for centuries and even today by 96% of Americans?! Only 80% of Americans are Christians, and additional 16% celebrate it for secular reasons.

Even if some Christians may have tried to change the constitution, there's absolutely no reason to get rid of Christmas as a holiday celebrated in this nation. Christmas is celebrated by many non-Christians as well, even in other countries where Christians make up the minority.

You really believe people want to vote out Christmas from being celebrated?! LOL
Christmas is everybody's favorite holiday,""""""

No, it isn't "everybody's"....YOU don't know everybody". Sweeping generalizations are what take away your credibility.

""..... and has been celebrated almost forever whether for religious or secular reasons. Retailers love it as well. Everyone loves Christmas! Anybody who hates it are basically Anti-Christian, Anti-Christmas, and bigots who tries to destroy everything in the American society to be miserable! Gashh.. cannot believe people like you even agree with Silverman.

PS! Christians will always make up the majority, and there's NO way the 5% of other religions will catch up and become majority even with the immigration. America will be turned into more Catholic due to immigration and high birth of Hispanic and many Asians

Some countries with high number of Atheists/Non-Religious still celebrate Christmas and Easter for cultural and traditional reason.
You're right! Christmas has been around in some form for almost forever..BEFORE Jesus was born even!

So if Christmas is such a big ongoing deal why do you continually whine about "attacks" on it?

WHERE IS YOUR LIST OF THINGS YOU LOST CONCERNING CHRISTMAS?

Takes COURAGE to answer that question so , as expected , there is no response.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post

Christmas is everybody's favorite holiday, and has been celebrated almost forever whether for religious or secular reasons. Retailers love it as well. Everyone loves Christmas! Anybody who hates it are basically Anti-Christian, Anti-Christmas, and bigots who tries to destroy everything in the American society to be miserable! Gashh.. cannot believe people like you even agree with Silverman.

Relax,if Christmas wasn't a federal holiday it wouldn't mean you couldn't celebrate it, you could celebrate whatever you wanted. That's the point, why would a country that isn't religious have a federal religious holiday? Why not just time off in the holiday season for anyone to do what they want with in this melting pot of a nation. Majority doesn't dominate our government religiously you know. That's what the constitution is for, to keep that from happening to us. If people like you had your way my kids would have to be praying to your God in school. I'm grateful they don't have to.

It's not quite fair to lump every religion together that has Jesus in it and call it one large backing. I know several so called Christians that aren't into religious rule or republican rule and most of them are Catholic so good luck with that.

Let me ask you this. Why do you need Christmas to be recognized by the government? What's the point of that if you're not trying to get this country to adopt Christian values throughout it's government and put laws into place to enforce it. I know who you guys are, I've seen your documentaries. Tsk, tsk, shame on you.

Last edited by PoppySead; 11-30-2012 at 08:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism