U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 PM

3,334 posts, read 5,341,399 times

Advertisements

I like that day off....leave it be. Let everyone celebrate it the way they want. I simply do not understand this incessant need on the part of many Americans (both religious and non-religious) to tell others what to do.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:44 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,801,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Evil occurence have happened throughout the history by all religions and non-religions, including under State Atheism of Soviet Union. Has nothing to do with the Christmas holiday celebration.

Are you kidding? You're trying to destroy the cultural and historical largest holiday celebrated for centuries and even today by 96% of Americans?! Only 80% of Americans are Christians, and additional 16% celebrate it for secular reasons.

Even if some Christians may have tried to change the constitution, there's absolutely no reason to get rid of Christmas as a holiday celebrated in this nation. Christmas is celebrated by many non-Christians as well, even in other countries where Christians make up the minority.

You really believe people want to vote out Christmas from being celebrated?! LOL
Christmas is everybody's favorite holiday, and has been celebrated almost forever whether for religious or secular reasons. Retailers love it as well. Everyone loves Christmas! Anybody who hates it are basically Anti-Christian, Anti-Christmas, and bigots who tries to destroy everything in the American society to be miserable! Gashh.. cannot believe people like you even agree with Silverman.

PS! Christians will always make up the majority, and there's NO way the 5% of other religions will catch up and become majority even with the immigration. America will be turned into more Catholic due to immigration and high birth of Hispanic and many Asians

Some countries with high number of Atheists/Non-Religious still celebrate Christmas and Easter for cultural and traditional reason.
Wow, that's a bit harsh. I might be called anti Christian, and I love Christmas. Anything that makes people get along and sing together is usually good, in my book. I just don't want Christians to influence our governance.

The fastest growing religion in South America is fundamentalist Protestantism, in case you hadn't heard. Asians are usually Hindu, Buddhist, or atheist, last I heard.

I think America, in the future, will become more religiously diverse which will probably lead to a more secular government. I believe the Tea Party flavor of religion has reached it's zenith and is on its way down. I am not alone in that concept, by a long shot, either.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I say we get the 12 days of Christmas, the 8 days of Hanukkah, the week of Kwanzaa, and, in accordance with Pastafarianism, Holiday, which doesn't really have a day but is important to celebrate in recognition of being touched by His Noodly Appendage.

R'amen.
Don't forget Diwalli, either. Dang it, everyone forgets the Hindus, a noble people.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Lol, then let us make Halloween a federal holiday! I love Halloween too!
It really should be. Wiccans celebrate it, and probably Pagans as well.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:16 PM

8,395 posts, read 10,089,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned

Moderator cut: Orphaned Attacking Christmas would be pretty evident, I mean people would be bashing down Christmas trees, etc. But they aren't. A few people are trying to get it removed from government because it's a religious holiday and America doesn't mix church and state. That isn't an attack. Just not mangers in government areas. Or, allowing everyone to place their religious symbols as well. It's not an attack on Christmas.

The fact is Christians wouldn't and don't tolerate any other decor during the holidays being placed on government plot. You aren't tolerant but yet you ask others to be because you're dominant, that's your excuse in every thread. That just isn't what America has in mind. This isn't the middle east, it's not dominated by religious beliefs. It doesn't matter that 80% of you are of some Christian faith. Equal rights means equal rights, regardless. That's why America is different and better. IMO of course.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-02-2012 at 07:00 AM..

Old 12-01-2012, 11:33 PM

8,395 posts, read 10,089,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
It really should be. Wiccans celebrate it, and probably Pagans as well.
This post of mine was deleted for being off topic and I understand that but I did post it in relevance, just not in a good way, I'll explain.

If Halloween was on the table for a federal holiday the Christians would come out against it in droves. Even though it's a unique and celebrated holiday here in America. They care about Christmas because it's their religious holiday and they like their religion mixed into federal business. They would like this country to be a Christian Nation. The Evangelicals have been going for this for a long time and that is why it's important. They've had a movement going to do this and I don't think most Christians other than fanatics want to see that happen. I think the atheist groups are trying to bring this to light so everyone see's it. That is why they are posting billboards and taking on other church/state issues. They want others to see what the religious right are really into. Which is government handling their agenda. This is worrisome to other religions and atheists. America is good the way it was intended, free of religious rules. People can obey those on their own time.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:34 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,319,041 times
Quote:
Nobody is attacking Christmas Nunnor, you know I like Christmas myself. Attacking Christmas would be pretty evident, I mean people would be bashing down Christmas trees, etc. But they aren't. A few people are trying to get it removed from government because it's a religious holiday and America doesn't mix church and state. That isn't an attack. Just not mangers in government areas. Or, allowing everyone to place their religious symbols as well. It's not an attack on Christmas.

The fact is Christians wouldn't and don't tolerate any other decor during the holidays being placed on government plot. You aren't tolerant but yet you ask others to be because you're dominant, that's your excuse in every thread. That just isn't what America has in mind. This isn't the middle east, it's not dominated by religious beliefs. It doesn't matter that 80% of you are of some Christian faith. Equal rights means equal rights, regardless. That's why America is different and better. IMO of course.
Religious diversity is not that good, but cultural is. Sorry, but America is culturally and historically a Christian nation. Just because we have no official state church does not mean Christianity cannot be dominant. We do tolerate other decorations of other religion in public.

Majority rule in many cases

Constitution may be changed soon if the majority or congress decides...

Old 12-01-2012, 11:41 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,319,041 times
Quote:
This post of mine was deleted for being off topic and I understand that but I did post it in relevance, just not in a good way, I'll explain.

If Halloween was on the table for a federal holiday the Christians would come out against it in droves. Even though it's a unique and celebrated holiday here in America. They care about Christmas because it's their religious holiday and they like their religion mixed into federal business. They would like this country to be a Christian Nation. The Evangelicals have been going for this for a long time and that is why it's important. They've had a movement going to do this and I don't think most Christians other than fanatics want to see that happen. I think the atheist groups are trying to bring this to light so everyone see's it. That is why they are posting billboards and taking on other church/state issues. They want others to see what the religious right are really into. Which is government handling their agenda. This is worrisome to other religions and atheists. America is good the way it was intended, free of religious rules. People can obey those on their own time.
Halloween is a Christian holiday, and most of us would love to have it federal holiday. All Saint's Day is a national holiday in many Christian countries, which is the day after Halloween, and same as "Halloween Eve".

I myself want to be favored by the government, and want Christian holidays to be the only religious holidays. This is because America has been culturally and historically a Christian nation, and 8 out of 10 Americans are Christians.

Constitution may be subject to change if majority votes for it. Congress is made by predominately Christians, and I cannot believe they haven't changed it yet.

I'll be happy if we got Good Friday included on federal holiday list, and that's it. We don't need any other law, I promise. I'm for same sex marriage and for abortion.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:01 AM

9,745 posts, read 14,488,051 times
My only problem with Christmas, besides the over-commercialization, is Christians insisting there's some vast war to eliminate Christmas. God forbid they actually try to enjoy the holiday, which isn't going to even come close to disappearing in any of our lives. If people are going to raise a stink about something concerning Christmas, I wish it would be the fact the Americans seem to be more concerned with buying each other the latest disposable gadgets instead of having a good time with friends and family. That's far more disturbing to me, as an atheist, than the fact that Christmas is religious in nature.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:53 AM

12,540 posts, read 12,870,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Don't forget Diwalli, either. Dang it, everyone forgets the Hindus, a noble people.
Isn't that in the fall? I'm thinking specifically of December holidays. I'm angling for the whole month off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.