U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,319,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Because the founding fathers intended for this nation to be secular. Or, put another way, they intended it to be for anyone of any faith, or lack thereof.

To attempt to codify one faith as an official one, as you want to do, is distinctly anti-American an unpatriotic.
The founding fathers are dead now.... Constitution should be changed by the vote of people..

Old 12-03-2012, 11:20 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,203,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
The founding fathers are dead now.... Constitution should be changed by the vote of people..
Then you advocate the destruction of the constitution and the American way of life. Good to know.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:00 AM

5,460 posts, read 6,036,589 times
Quote:
How about you consider moving to a non-religious countries like Japan, China, North Korea?
Because we already live in a perfectly good secular country here in the US. If you want to live in a theocracy, perhaps you're the one who should move.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:16 AM

59,682 posts, read 57,171,595 times
Quote:
No, it shouldn't. Personally, I vote that you be deported back to your country of origin for even suggesting such a thing, but, fortunately for you, we also have free speech. (It's obvious from some of your posts that English is not your first language.) And further, you wouldn't get every Christian to vote along with you. Some of us are versed in history and know damn well what happens when people are given power under the guise of religion. You would have no control over what form of religion/Christianity the people in power would use to get what they want.

I mean it. Pick up a history book. READ. LEARN. Look at the incidences, for example, of 16th-century England and people being burned at the stake because they were either Protestant or Catholic, depending upon who sat on the throne that year.

The United States Constitution is written to protect the people from others exactly like you coming here and trying to destroy principles we hold sacred.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:32 AM

29,705 posts, read 64,689,413 times
Quote:
Yes, and you're right.
(that the day off is not a national religious holiday)
Christmas Day is not a mandatory holiday off, but it is a paid holiday for federal and state employees by law.
It is an accommodation to common sense.
The largest majority will take the day off anyway... so we may as well give it to them.
(having that time off paid is a whole other can of worms)

Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 AM

44,133 posts, read 54,232,860 times
Quote:
How about you consider moving to a non-religious countries like Japan, China, North Korea?
Because anyone who isn't illiterate knows this is a non-religious country.
Btw, who told you Japanese don't have religion?

Old 12-04-2012, 10:52 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,264,115 times
I think I see Nunnor's problem: s/he watches WAY too much Fox News. I just realized that this irrational fear of "the war on Christmas" is ONLY being proposed by Fox News and NO OTHER NEWS OUTLET!

To Nunnor, I think you need to watch this and get over yourself:
The War on Christmas: Friendly Fire Edition | The Big Picture

Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 AM

167 posts, read 147,633 times
Christmas, Easter, Valentine's Day, New Years, All Soul's Day, Halloween, Mother's Day and birthdays are all pagan celebrations which the early Christians would have avoided like the plague. National holidays like Thanksgiving and the Fourth of July are nationalistic which the early Christians, being no part of the world, would also avoid.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Theist View Post
Christmas, Easter, Valentine's Day, New Years, All Soul's Day, Halloween, Mother's Day and birthdays are all pagan celebrations which the early Christians would have avoided like the plague. National holidays like Thanksgiving and the Fourth of July are nationalistic which the early Christians, being no part of the world, would also avoid.
What about Eid, Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashanah, Buddha's birthday - they are all Pegan celebrations too?

Old 12-04-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
I think I see Nunnor's problem: s/he watches WAY too much Fox News. I just realized that this irrational fear of "the war on Christmas" is ONLY being proposed by Fox News and NO OTHER NEWS OUTLET!

To Nunnor, I think you need to watch this and get over yourself:
The War on Christmas: Friendly Fire Edition | The Big Picture
I very rarely watch Fox News, or any other News channel in general.
If there was 'no war on Christmas', we wouldn't have made an argument about it. Everybody knows that Christmas is trying to be abolished as much as possible, especially the word itself, the traditional greeting, and many atheists/non-Christians trying to remove it from federal holiday list.

We're not stupid, and stop acting Christmas is not on attack. You create the big controversy, and yet you blame it on us Christians making it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.