Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 09:57 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,508,019 times

Advertisements

I used to have a sign that stated the following:

BEFORE ringing this doorbell, consider these facts. I am not interested in being saved, visiting or joining your church, hearing the GOOD NEWS, your reelection campaign or your school fund raising projects. I do not want a free roofing estimate, to purchase your restaurant coupons or to donate to your charity. If you do not already know me, then chances are that you are not welcome on my property and will be treated as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 11:19 AM

335 posts, read 333,228 times
I have no problem with Jehovah's Witnesses making their call about once every six months. They are dignified, have a canned presentation, and can then be interesting (although rather dense when it comes to sophisticated theology, but I shouldn't be so arrogant). You don't want to buy anything or they will return more often.

A couple of Mormon "elders" use to drop by once a month or so; clean-cut, eager, scrubbed young men with absolutely no knowledge of hardly anything except their indoctrination. They did go so far one time as to meekly suggest that I might lack humility.

I see nothing wrong with spending a little time with people like this, and I certainly think they have every right to be doing it, so long as its during reasonable hours and they leave when invited to do so.

Far worse, to my mind, was a certain local pastor who, after a visit, told his people to avoid me, since I had statues of the Buddha and similar figures about. He told them I was an idol worshiper and befriending me was the same as befriending Satan. That takes freedom of speech too far and enters the realm of slander, although of course I just ignored it.

Now I live in Vietnam and there are Buddhas everywhere.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:55 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,973,143 times
A friend of mine in Mill Valley took a copy of "The Watch Tower", drew a circle with a slash across the middle on the cover, laminated it and affixed it to her front door.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:46 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,072,200 times
The JW's are all in all pretty decent people so I am never nasty or rude to them(the world has so many nasty people that decent people deserve consideration). When they "visited " me I simply told them I wasn't interested . I called their "church" and told them not to send anyone ever again and they complied.

I refue to treat them like christians treat atheists....I'm better than that.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:57 PM

584 posts, read 1,925,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
The JW's are all in all pretty decent people so I am never nasty or rude to them(the world has so many nasty people that decent people deserve consideration). When they "visited " me I simply told them I wasn't interested . I called their "church" and told them not to send anyone ever again and they complied.

I refue to treat them like christians treat atheists....I'm better than that.
that did not work when i asked them not to come back the came back the next weekend instead of two had four knocking on my door like there was a fire. called the church and was told it was their leagle right to do so. and some one else in my house that i pay for may wzant to hear the good news. my g/fold them if she did not feel the same as me she would not beliving with me enjoying a life they call sin lol the best part was these people opened our door talk about rude.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:08 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,072,200 times
[quote=pendleton42;27250490]that did not work when i asked them not to come back the came back the next weekend instead of two had four knocking on my door like there was a fire. called the church and was told it was their leagle right to do so. and some one else in my house that i pay for may wzant to hear the good news. my g/fold them if she did not feel the same as me she would not beliving with me enjoying a life they call sin lol the best part was these people opened our door talk about rude.[/quote]

??!!!!!What?????:rolley es:

Old 12-07-2012, 05:01 PM

584 posts, read 1,925,032 times
that did not work when i asked them not to come back they came back the next weekend instead of two had four knocking on my door like there was a fire. called the church and was told it was their leagle right to do so. and some one else in my house may want to hear the good news. my g/f told them if she did not feel the same as me she would not be living with me enjoying a life they call sin lol the best part was these people opened our door talk about rudeopend the door and started to walk in when we did not answer right away (is that better)

Old 12-07-2012, 08:05 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,471,416 times
I'll be happy when atheists stop telling me how to live my life.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:26 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I'll be happy when atheists stop telling me how to live my life.
Stop living your life ignorantly.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,318,266 times
A self defense store sells some motion sensor contraption which triggers the sound of a large barking dog. The closer one is to the door, the louder & more fierce it's supposed to sound. It's mainly marketed to women living alone or when one goes on vacation, but I'd imagine it might make anyone shudder if the sounds of a rabidly angry dog grew more intense minute by minute. If I were bothered day to day, I'd certainly consider it.

But, I do have a somewhat humorous story. A friend had one of those old record albums from his childhood, with Halloween sounds... creaking doors, screams, ghost moans. He was so tired of solicitors he made a tape (yeah, this was l o n g ago) of only the screams & placed a large boombox next to the door. The next time someone rang his bell repeatedly, not wanting to go away, he played the tape... a woman screaming in horror, over & over. In only a matter of seconds, he heard multiple footsteps racing away, looked out the window & realized they were girl scouts selling cookies. He said he waited for hours, nervous & sweating, for the police to arrive. They never did, but lucky for him... he'd probably have replayed his scream tape & ended up at Home Depot next day buying a new front door after the police kicked it in. I wonder if he still feels a tinge of guilt when eating a Shortbread.

On a more serious note, I was very lucky in Boston by putting a homemade 'No Soliciting' sign next to my doorbells. There was a period of months where my bell was rung 1/2-dozen times/wk. Who was there? No idea. By the time I walked down the long, windy stairs from the 4th floor to the 1st, they were always gone. Glad my sign worked. I had actually thought of pouring huge boiling vats of oil out of the window like an old world villager being attacked by marauders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism