U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 12:13 PM

283 posts, read 435,604 times

Advertisements

My experience has been that the vast majority of fundamentalist Christians do not believe that the recent warming trend is manmade. Rather, they believe it to be merely a cyclical thing. After all: most things in nature DO work in cycles, right?
And I also think that at least part of the reason they think like that is that their is a fair amount of dogma in their faith which alludes to the fact that Man should pretty much be able to do what he wants with the Earth. I'm not going to look up those passages in the Old Testament right now, but to paraphrase their is stuff like: ""...have dominion over the fish of the sea and the foul-legged beasts..." and whatnot.
The fact that fundies can take a small, seemingly trivial comment from the OT of the Bible and use it to justify sweeping, vast irresponsible action on a wordlwide basis is not as farfetched as some of oyu may think. Remember that the whole over-population problem is Mexico and other Latin countries is because their Catholic Church does not allow birth control!
Where does the bible say it forbids that?
"Be fruitful and multiply."
That's it!! Think of all the disadvantaged lives, poverty, and even death have been caused by their juvenile interpretation of those four words. Good Lord.

So, yeah, I'd reckon that about 75% of fundamental Christians think manmade Global Warming is a hoax.
Whereas, I'd guess that well over half of college-educated agnostics, atheists, or even so-called "liberal Christians" adhere to the Al Gore school: that Mankind has caused it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 01:29 PM

14,198 posts, read 9,115,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety_Split View Post
And I also think that at least part of the reason they think like that is that their is a fair amount of dogma in their faith which alludes to the fact that Man should pretty much be able to do what he wants with the Earth. I'm not going to look up those passages in the Old Testament right now, but to paraphrase their is stuff like: ""...have dominion over the fish of the sea and the foul-legged beasts..." and whatnot.
Yes, that is "fundamentally" correct ;-)

In fairness, Fundie teaching also generally includes the concept of "stewardship" ... that they have been "entrusted" with the responsibility to care for the earth. I heard a good deal of talk along those lines when I was in the faith, but very little in the way of specifics, as there was a knee-jerk aversion to anything that might be construed as "tree hugging" or "liberalism", I don't think it got much beyond a vague lip service. To actually think through the implications of stewardship and develop a practical teaching about how to implement said stewardship, I didn't see any stomach for that in evangelical circles. What it came down to was that stewardship was confused with ownership -- god was going to hold you accountable for the slightest lustful thought about the girl next door, the utterance of naughty words that most people now consider quaint, not spending enough time in prayer or Bible study, beware the Wrath of God -- but raping the Earth -- at best that was way down the list of things to wring your hands about. Especially with the tendency toward liking gun ownership, hunting, and often a high tolerance for conspicuous consumption.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:41 PM

3,881 posts, read 7,321,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The only atheist consensus would be the commonality of disbelief in a god.
BINGO!

We are not a group of people with a set list of beliefs or non-beliefs. Each atheist can have completely individual beliefs than the next.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:44 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,117,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Is there an Atheist consensus concerning global warming? Seems like all the right leaning Christians are saying no such thing.
We're probably in serious trouble.

By atheist I assume you meant reasonable people, right?

350 ppm was the barrier. We broke that long ago. This universe is indifferent to our existence and will continue to demonstrate that, with increasingly frequent reminders as the atmospheric equation tilts ever more out of our favor, unbeknownst to the average moron who still wants his 2.4 kids and a white picket fence in suburbia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism